We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Sorry to hear about the further chicken attack, choille. Can the wee dog not keep a weather eye out for you? We're down to 7 now as time takes its toll. We'll not re-stock until the runs and housing are sorted out for smaller numbers, possibly next year.

Our weather has been very mixed, with torrential downpours and sunshine most days. The hole I'm trying to work in has a downpipe emptying into it, so that's a whole heap of no fun. :(

The car will sell today, that's for sure, but who will pop out of the woodwork in the last minute remains to be seen. If I'm lucky, I'll clear the cost of getting the new MoT and all the investigative work the garage did, which suggested I should get rid of it! :undecided

Outlaws are staying here at present which slows things down, but I shouldn't grudge them time. They stayed in B&Bs etc during the renovation years, as being here then was somewhat uncomfortable, or just downright impossible. The kids would bring blow-up beds, but that's not a great option when you're over 80.

There's a lot of nothing happening here just now. Pete hasn't topped the fields or brought any sheep, the log deliveries we ordered in May have stalled, the GGF have not made their final statement about the conservatory dispute and Horse Woman's place seems to have had no interest at all.

On a positive note, however, DW has made great progress with her mobility and the physio signed her off yesterday, which is more important than all the other stuff put together.:D This time last year I really could envisage us selling-up as soon as we'd finished things here.
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The hen snaffling was so odd as we were all about. There was a huge white bird about which i didn't pay mind to but it could have been an eagle but I really don't know at all.

The rains here have been ridiculous - all year - just as well we live on a slope. The garden is a disaster as I have hardly done owt outdoors - still got bedding plants in pots!

Really good news that DW has been helped with physio Dave. It is so good when things work.

Low cloud here & dreich - half dark so still feeling half awake. Another coffee beckons...............
  • Davesnave
    choille wrote: »

Really good news that DW has been helped with physio Dave. It is so good when things work.
    Yes. Tendonitis is unpredictable. Not everyone gets better from it. It's not a very headline-grabbing sort of illness, so probably little kudos in research, but it can be life-limiting and cause severe pain for those affected. We'll just have to pray DW's recovery continues. She's doing really well ATM. :)

Weird happenings today. On Friday of last week I went to Barnstaple and, apparently, didn't return with my old phone. I didn't know that for sure, so I looked for it everywhere: in the house, van, car, polytunnel, Den and barn. As the week went on, we tried ringing it and listening in different places. Nothing. :(

Today I knew the battery would be very low, so we had one more try ringing it, but still nothing. So, I agreed to take over DW's phone and she decided to start using a s/h smartphone she'd been given. Off to Barnstaple she went.....

Sitting in Barnstaple's phone shop transferring her Sim, DW suddenly received a text from my old phone. It read: "Sh1tty old Nokia. Found it ringing in an inch of water, so took home, dried it out and it still goes! LOL! "

DW texted back to the finder who agreed to meet her 10 minutes later, so the phone was returned!:beer::j It was discovered not far from the recycling centre, in a large puddle. I must have dropped it while struggling to dispose of our builder's old bed. Someone then found it, played about with it and then threw it away, only for it to ring this morning alerting this kind chap:A who was passing. Amazing! It was, as predicted, down to the last bar of charge, but a week for an 18 year old phone ain't bad! :rotfl:That's why I like it....shockproof, dustproof, waterproof....and simple. :D

In other news, the car sold for almost £400.:beer: I'm slightly embarrassed...:o:o:o Didn't pay a huge amount more for the one that replaced it.
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good news on the car Dave.

It was dry here yesterday - didn't rain - how odd was that?

Cut down some trees - mainly birch - little springy ones that were too crowded and trying to sort out a banking still & get plants in it that were bought months back. Got a lot done but am feeling it today - just as well it's back to rain.
    I managed to burn them all up apart from the trunks so was pleased to get rid of the brash - birch does burn well even when green.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    While cutting down some dead trees with my lovely neighbour, I chanced upon a wasps' nest. Well, they chanced upon me, and I was stung nine times before I belted, to the echoing bellows of my "pal". It was, nonetheless, fascinating to see that, once I'd been stung a few times, the whole damn swarm was headed my way, leaving the old chap heaving with laughter only a few feet from the fallen nest!

We did look first! I actually feel sorry for the girls, and might have just left their tree for another month or so, to let the cold take its toll! :(

Anyway, more wood! I'm sharing it out as best I can at the moment, as there's more than I can use, and it will only rot if left out. Some gets piled into beetle banks (and bee nests... wasps are welcome too... welcome ish, anyway ;)). I'm hoping to hold a .. ok, it'll set the"!" off... a faggot day, collecting all the smaller brushwood, and making tied bundles... (maybe it gets through.. hmm). In a couple of years time, I might be less generous! But, I do have nice neighbours!

My "resident" builder isn't so much a builder as a one-man-mess-machine, so I may have to think twice about letting him stay. It's a shame, as he's a nice chap, harmless so long as he doesn't do anything. Unleashed, and he just does more harm than good. Oh well, no good turn goes unpunished.

Scaffold goes up for wood burners and chimney re-points this weekend. Next week is mayhem, from the word go, plumbing, wood stoves, and roof all together. So wifey has found an urgent business trip she's got to go on, and I'll get to play with the destructoids by myself. Mind you, more wine for me!:D I have another week and a bit before I have to do any "real work"... so no break 'til then :p

We have a dark melanic barn owl in the woods, and (s)he feeds on the water meadow. When the others are out, (s)he looks very dark indeed, as most of the others are fairly pale. I also think a young pair of buzzards are moving in to our farther wood, having been hoiked out by their respective parents from the big woods opposite.

Anyway, off to nurse swollen hands. They just itch now, but boy are they itchy! You may now all :rotfl:
  • Davesnave
    choille wrote: »
    Good news on the car Dave.

Yes, he must've made the 50 miles home OK. Described me as, "a very honest eBayer." :A Maybe he's taken it to a garage by now. :o:o !

The new one seems not to hold any terrors and it feels OK now it's re-shod with all- seasons tyres. Everything works, even the climate control, but then, it's Japanese innit?

Around here, people like their faggots n'gravy so they're often on local pub menus.:drool: Fortunately, not too many Americans drop-by.....

Slow progress with the drains, but once the final bits are delivered tomorrow I should be finished reasonably quickly and calling the building inspector out. It might be his last visit here. :j

Logs arrived in the middle of a downpour this afternoon :( so now we have wet logs on top of all the dry ones dating back to June. :wall:Still, at least there were no wasps nests among them....

And we have sheep! This year it's North Country Mules. Apparently that's a hill sheep bred with a Blue Faced Leicester ram. Then, the resultant cross is bred with a Texel or Down ram to produce a top quality meat animal. I must say this is as step forward for Pete, who's disapponted me in the past by not using breed names, but saying things like, "They woolly ones. " :rotfl:
    https://ibb.co/cUMdm5
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    hi peeps..:hello:

well im glad last weeks over with, talk about hit the ground running !!

had all sorts of appointments in between work..
    had hospital last Friday and after telling me that all my tests were clear, that I should take some pills INCASE I get some sort of arthritis..??!
    got home, son read up re pills [doc said I had to have 2 weekly blood tests for 2 months incase of liver probs :eek: ] they are used in chemo treatment ?? folic acid tab [2 days later] is to help if hair starts to fall out !!!
    so they are a NO GO for me...
    all because my hand hurt !!

was cleaning holiday home last Thursday eve ,having been told people in Friday eve, when theres a knock at the door and 4 Norwegian chaps are stood there bags in hand :eek:
    my friend and I stood looking like a pair of goldfish ! having stuttered out "mistake/sorry/not ready" etc , they went off for a pint...or two. friend and I went like loonatics finishing setting up the house and they returned, thankfully with a sense of humour ....phew.
    couldn't get hold of "the lady who irons" so panic re the 5 sets of bed linen etc sat in my utility room....waiting.
    finally got hold of her and nearly kissed her
    I don't iron ... tried but im carp at it...
    owner of house thought it all hilarious :cool:

son is very upset as GF went back to Canada then dumped him [after 4 years].. no reason doesn't help !!

friends mother is critical in hosp, just waiting now !

I feel like my head is spinning at the moment..

on a lighter note I definitely think tilly the hoss is preggies, changing shape now from just fat to pear shape fat...

im hopefully getting a greenhouse from next door.its a biggish one so im going to half it by boarding out the back half to make it a shed with glass front. my old likkle shed has waved a white flag for months now and put the mower in today and the floor fell in :o so I just shut the very wonky door and went indoors for a cuppa and an asprin !!
    I have written a list of jobs to do from decorating to garden stuff [just got a trailer full of York stone rocks for when I re do an overgrown side of the pond and 30 paving slabs for greenhouse base etc .... FREE :T ]
    a couple of hefty branches came down in the garden when we had those high winds so have to have a trim up before more come down .....

we got 600 bales of hay off one field but lost the weather/ time slot for the rest so will just top the field and leave it there.
    SO many acorns down !! its a worry ...

ok peeps im off to lay in my barf for an HOUR at least :rotfl:
  • Fay
    Fay Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Wow, sounds like you've all been really busy and having lots of adventures. I am still in limbo land with everything and waiting for legal proceedings to happen. The weather is really beginning to turn now and thoughts are turning to winter garden clean up, but my heart is not in it as I won't be the one to benefit...mean spirited huh?
    My new job is good. Very busy and very different but I'm really excited by it. But I would like to be able to really move on now with my life. Soon hopefully.
    Glad to hear you're all keeping nice and busy though, wasp stings an all!
  • Davesnave
    :hello:Good to know you are still here with us Fay and that your life is moving on, albeit more slowly than you'd wish. If the new job is enjoyable, that's half the battle. :)

Here, we are making some progress; just not the sort I'd anticipated right now. The Outlaws, having gone away, have come back, so that we can do a job that I'd scheduled for next spring! I'm not sure we're doing it right, but I have learned when to stay silent. ;)

Meanwhile, the drains remain unfinished and the fishing season ticks away....:(
  • lucielle
    lucielle Posts: 10,717 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Been to the house and seem to be making progress with the war on the ragwort. Only 2 bags collected, still an ongoing project.

It was lovely to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary up there. we also climbed Ben Nevis which nearly finished us off.

DH borrowed a digger and we've attempted to alter a watercourse to make a waterfall. Time will tell if that's successful.

Not long till we're off to Sri Lanka.
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!!:j 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport