The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Debt collectors for previous occupants

Sorry I don't know where best to post this!!

As per title we bought this property in November 2016, and in about June the previous owners postal divert service finished so we started getting letters for them which we put back in the post return to sender etc. Often the postman would re-deliver the letters that had been put back in the postbox!!! I have had debt collectors at the door and now I'm getting hand delivered mail about outstanding debts for the previous occupiers.

I just want to know of any easy ways of proving I'm not them and they no longer live here as according to 'can't pay we'll take it away' on the to the onus will be on me to prove I'm not them and that my goods are mine if worse case scenario they try and come to settle a debt.

Thanks

Comments

• StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Easy. Show them your Passport, Drivers license or bank cards and tell them that the people they're looking for have moved on.

If you're renting, you should have a copy of the tenancy agreement, that'll be proof that the debtors are no longer there. If you bought the house, you should be easily able to prove it's yours.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • Arleen
    Arleen Posts: 1,164
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    You don't need to show them any documents, simply inform them that he doesn't live here and if they will come again you will report it as harassment. That will get their attention and is the right thing to do.
  • tenchy
    tenchy Posts: 486
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    StopIt wrote: »
    Easy. Show them your Passport, Drivers license or bank cards and tell them that the people they're looking for have moved on.

If you're renting, you should have a copy of the tenancy agreement, that'll be proof that the debtors are no longer there. If you bought the house, you should be easily able to prove it's yours.

A better idea is just to tell them to f... off. You don't need to prove anything.
  • tenchy wrote: »
    A better idea is just to tell them to f... off. You don't need to prove anything.
    No..that's the most satisfying way :) It's easier to show them your ID and tell them that's the last time you expect to see them, then mention the bit about harassment.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,711
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    Another option is to open said letters to see which companies they are from, then write a letter explaining the situation to the "compliance officer" at each one.

Inform them they have 14 days to remove your address from there files otherwise a complaint will be forwarded to the ICO, the FOS, and it will also be logged with the FCA.

That should have the desired effect.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,730
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Puzzled38 wrote: »
    according to 'can't pay we'll take it away'

Fly on the wall TV shows are hardly a reliable source of advice for such issues.
    Arleen wrote: »
    You don't need to show them any documents, simply inform them that he doesn't live here and if they will come again you will report it as harassment. That will get their attention and is the right thing to do.
    tenchy wrote: »

Whilst both the above posts are technically correct and the posters offering the advice would perhaps gain some sense of satisfaction from telling a bailiff where to go, that course of action is not going to afford you the least amount of inconvenience.

As suggested, write to the companies and state that the people they are looking for are no longer resident at your address. (If you have a forwarding address I might be tempted to provide it) If anyone shows up at the door, show them some ID and they will go away. There is nothing, other than perhaps the inconvenience of further visits, to be gained from being obstructive or difficult.
  • tenchy
    tenchy Posts: 486
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    MEM62 wrote: »
    Fly on the wall TV shows are hardly a reliable source of advice for such issues.

Whilst both the above posts are technically correct and the posters offering the advice would perhaps gain some sense of satisfaction from telling a bailiff where to go, that course of action is not going to afford you the least amount of inconvenience.

As suggested, write to the companies and state that the people they are looking for are no longer resident at your address. (If you have a forwarding address I might be tempted to provide it) If anyone shows up at the door, show them some ID and they will go away. There is nothing, other than perhaps the inconvenience of further visits, to be gained from being obstructive or difficult.

I totally disagree with this. An Englishman's house is his castle. The more people that acquiesce to this type of thing, the more these people will think they have a right to demand it.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,008
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I totally disagree with this. An Englishman's house is his castle. The more people that acquiesce to this type of thing, the more these people will think they have a right to demand it.

A nice theoretical concept, but entirely false in reality. Numerous people can, given the right authority and paperwork, force entry to a property without the occupier's consent, or even demolish it (never heard of compulsory purchase?) Licensed bailiffs also have certain powers (not debt collectors).
    If debt collectors or bailiffs continue to believe that the person named on their documentation is still resident at the address, then they will continue to visit.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,730
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite

And just what exactly are we acquiescing to? Nothing!

The situation is simple. The debt collectors are looking for someone at your address that is not you. You have a choice; tell them is isn't you and show them some ID so they go away. Or be an !!! and have further visits.

This is not an erosion of our civil liberties or 'the man' stepping all over our freedoms. Believe it or not, we are not living in 1960's America. It's just the most straightforward way of dealing with the situation and avoiding further inconvenience.
  • alastairq
    alastairq Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    The Debt Collecting Agencies should easily be able to check the name of the current resident. It seems to me that mostly the Debt Collectors call, just on the off-chance.
    They should do their home-work,before they start cold-calling on people [for, that is what it is!]

I have had two companies knocking on my door reference the debts of a long-since departed [and several tenants before me]....from my address.

In both cases, their first question was, to ask me my name.

Do folk honestly give out that sort of information to any Tom, !!!! or Harriet that comes calling?

Needless to say, when I firstly refused to answer, then asked who they were, and demanded some sort of credentials....they finally came out with the name of the person they were seeking.

All the Debt Collector needs to know is.....you are not the person they are seeking..and that person no longer lives at that address.

Both also mentioned they were 'in pursuit of a debt'!

Fatal....Debt Collection Agencies are not allowed [terms of their licence] to go cold-knocking [regardless of whether they suspect the debtor lives there or not].....telling folk why they are there!

If really wanting to turn the screw, make sure you obtain the full details of the DCA, then drop a line to the appropriate regulating authority!

If you can be bothered?

However, all mail has ceased in this respect. I guess, by getting onto their respective offices, and doing a modicum of research [easy for a Debt Collector Company] they realised their errors. MY point being, if the research is so easy, why is my privacy being invaded?
    No, I don't think all other drivers are idiots......but some are determined to change my mind.......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure