Keep up the good work.
  • smallholdingsister
    Options
    Wishing you a happy week xxx
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just read your diary and wanted to congratulate you on clearing the mortgage and wish you all the best with saving for your dream home :)
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • HelenDaveKids
    HelenDaveKids Posts: 3,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I have give up on eBay. We have a garden party to raise funds in August, part of which will be £5 a table to sell stuff, I'm going to have a good clear out and to be honest will be pricing low to clear my loft!
    Morgage till Nov 30 GOAL MFW Sept 2016
    Aug 11 - £100k Aug 2016.... It's GONE!!!!!
    2014 GOAL HIT 5 Stone! 2016 GOAL to be a MF marathon runner.
    "A goal without a plan is just a wish"
  • EatingTheElephant
    Options
    Thank you for stopping by tryharder, SHS, NG & HDK.

A very lazy day yesterday, horse ride with the dog in the morning then sitting in the garden in the afternoon. I'm just trying to decide what I should focus on this week, everything seems to be ticking along nicely.
  • BookWorm
    BookWorm Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sounds like a lovely day :)
  • Moneyfordreams
    Moneyfordreams Posts: 2,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good news on finding a horse sitter :)
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • EatingTheElephant
    Options
    Middle of the week already, not much done apart from work. I've just seen that the two ISAs are now amalgamated.

I'm thinking that I need to look at pensions soon. We both have had good pensions from employed positions, but since starting our own business we haven't started any more up. I think it would be better to do it through the business rather than a personal pension as then the business contributes too possibly? This could take a little while to research!
  • shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I do love a good research project!
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,924 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm thinking that I need to look at pensions soon. We both have had good pensions from employed positions, but since starting our own business we haven't started any more up. I think it would be better to do it through the business rather than a personal pension as then the business contributes too possibly? This could take a little while to research!
    good luck with that :) A few years ago I thought I should do something about a pension and saw an IFA who said do it through the business. All the advice I saw on line said don't because of the personal tax advantages and I got right confused. Eventually asked my accountant who said look you just take a pen and paper and a calculator and you simply look at it like this - did the sums - and it was about the same - the interesting thing is that there do seem to be die-hards who believe "their way" is right. The accountant was brilliant and said he has many clients who have been confused by the issue by their IFA's or on line or whatever and every time he does the sums with them it comes out prettymuch the same - one way you save corporation tax the other you gain a tax advantage.

that said really do need to review own pension plans as statement suggests I may not have really understood what I have. I understand the contributions thanks to the accountant though.
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure