Bought a car with no log book

Hi

I bought a car about two months ago and have still not recieved the log book in order to tax the car.I have had to insure the car for obvious reasons and the car has been stuck on the drive for the last seven weeks so I have lost nearly two months insurance , and extra travelling costs.

Firstly is there some sort of legallity surrounding the selling of the car without a logbook and basically no tax ?

And secondly is there a financial implication involved where I can claim the money back which has been wasted by the car just sitting on the drive.

Comments

• joey_2
    joey_2 Posts: 240 Forumite
    Hi , you need to get a form v62 from the post office and send this off to dvla to get a log book

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItOnline/DG_4017825
  • mjr600
    mjr600 Posts: 760 Forumite
    Get the V62 from the Post Office along with a V10, you can then tax it, use it and await the V5 Reg Doc in the post. You will have to tax it from when you bought it however as you cannot back date a SORN. Regarding getting compensation for not getting use from the car, sorry to say but its your fault, you bought the car with all the documents and then did not do proper research into how to remedy the situation.
    Live and Learn.
  • Hi Guys

Thanks for the responses.

It is partly my fault but I bought the car from a car supermarket and as the car had only just arrived from one of their other branches I was assured that all the documents as I had none at all given to me apart from the one weeks insurance cover was going to be sent special delivery Monday morning.
    As I needed the car to get back and forth to work I took their word for it that they would be sent straight away.
    But after 7 weeks I would have expected them to have mailed it by now.
  • scotsblood
    scotsblood Posts: 101 Forumite
    Name and shame the supermarket concerned!!

Any reputable dealer should have transported the docs with the car.
    Did you never see the hpi check report for the car?
    Was the car theirs to sell?

Take legal advice NOW!!
    Fiscally responsible or just a tight git? : :confused:

Lincolnshire 3.0kWp REC panels SMA 2500HF Inverter East Facing with no shade
  • Hi Guys

Thanks for the reply

Basically its bought through carcraft via U Can credit.

I did'nt check the HPI (Idiot) but I thought as they said all the paperwork would be with me in two days ........silly me.

And again they were a well known company so I thought I would (after paying 4and a 1/2 k) get treated right
  • You need to demand the log book now. In this months What Car? (July cover edition) there's a 2 page article (at long last!) about why you shouldn't be buying cars with a delay on getting the log book to you!

We've been campaigning for this for over 2 years. There's too many deals out there where it is not made clear that the logbook will be witheld from you at point of sale.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of DealDrivers. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to abuse@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • plane_boy2000
    plane_boy2000 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    Yes, carcraft are well known and for all the wrong reasons i'm afraid.

What have they said while you have been chasing them up? If you dont get it then you will just have to stump up for a new one which I guess will take a few weeks.
  • Car craft!! get out now!!! i have just got out of my 4 year plan at the end of the 2nd year and i can honestly say getting a car from that bunch of thieving, swindling shylocks was the worst mistake iv made in my life!! if theres anyway you can get out of the contract do it!
  • hartcjhart
    hartcjhart Posts: 9,463 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You need to demand the log book now. In this months What Car? (July cover edition) there's a 2 page article (at long last!) about why you shouldn't be buying cars with a delay on getting the log book to you!

We've been campaigning for this for over 2 years. There's too many deals out there where it is not made clear that the logbook will be witheld from you at point of sale.

I take it you mean from these 'supermarket type places and not private sales
    I :love: MOJACAR
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,567 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Rovernik, why did you feel it necessary to offer the OP advice over two years after his request for help?

:confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport