Advice re economy 7 and storage heaters

devotee
devotee Posts: 881 Forumite
Hi everyone,
I'm new so forgive me if this has been discussed before.

I'm currently redecorating my one bed flat and need to replace my storage heaters. I only have electricity so gas is not an option.

I got rid of the immersion heater and got it replaced with a 12 kw electric multi-point heater that heats up water instantly. The reason why I got rid of the immersion heater was that it took so much space and the water pressure was ridiculously low.

Now I'm not sure whether I should switch from economy 7 or not, as in reality I don't think I'll be using much of the night time electricity, washing machine is too noisy to be left overnight but I do have the dishwasher at night sometimes. I used to have two storage heaters, one in hall and one in the living room, the one in living room stopped working so I've been using the plug in oil filled radiator for the past couple of years and the one in hall has been thrown out when I got rid of the immersion heater.

So now, my question is, should I get a replacement storage heater and stay with econ 7 or is there an alternative that I can use and possibly change to a standard tariff?
While looking for storage heaters I came across this one so was hoping that someone would be able to advise if it they would be any good?
Can't post the link but they are called intelligent storage heaters at cnmonline.

Comments

• hippey
    hippey Posts: 849 Forumite
    Is there any particular reason you want to replace them? Very old? Not working properly?

The ones you seem to mean are £400 plus, which seem a high price to pay just for decorating.
    These are my thoughts and no one else's, so like any public forum advice - check it out before entering into contracts or spending your hard earned cash!

I don't know everything, however I do try to point people in the right direction but at the end of the day you can only ever help yourself!
  • devotee
    Hi, I need only one storage heater so I would not be spending loads of £££. And my old storage heater is not working so my main source of heating used to be oil filler plug in radiator.
  • devotee
    I thought I'd bump this in case someone could give me some advice regarding that particular storage heater and if it would be cheaper to move to the standard el instead of economy 7. Thanks
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    You need to work out your annual use in kwh off peak and total. If your off-peak use is less than 30% of the total, it is likely you would be better off on a single rate tariff. With some Economy 7 tariffs, you need to be using more than 50% off-peak to break even.

Your supplier should be happy to help with calculations, if you're not sure.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure