Strange Direct Debit -BISL BACS ACCOUNT

Comments

• hi have a butchers at this i checked my bank statement this morning to find 8 dds from my account to the total of 144.15 all by bisl bacs i got no idea what they are for and i have no dds set up on my account so someone at the bank is getting an ear bashing on tuesday morning i will find out where this money has gone and i can tell you i wont let it go without going to seek legal advise on this .
  • BruceyBonus
    BruceyBonus Posts: 1,142 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    antzman45 wrote: »
    hi have a butchers at this i checked my bank statement this morning to find 8 dds from my account to the total of 144.15 all by bisl bacs i got no idea what they are for and i have no dds set up on my account so someone at the bank is getting an ear bashing on tuesday morning i will find out where this money has gone and i can tell you i wont let it go without going to seek legal advise on this .
    Who do you have your insurances with?
    If the payments weren't set up by you, then the Direct Debit guarantee will ensure you get a refund.
  • the 8 dds are spaced and in odd amounts 4 months consecutive and then a two month gap then 4 months again last dd was a month ago and nothing this month as of yet .
  • BruceyBonus
    BruceyBonus Posts: 1,142 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    antzman45 wrote: »
    the 8 dds are spaced and in odd amounts 4 months consecutive and then a two month gap then 4 months again last dd was a month ago and nothing this month as of yet .
    Who do you have your car/home/pet/travel/any other type of insurance with?
  • I too have had a DD taken from my Bank Account by BISL 5 days ago. The DD was in relation to RAC Direct Insurance - who had taken the premium even though I had not renewed the policy. They say that when I signed up to the original insurance in 2008, I had also agreed to allow then to continue to take premiums unless I cancelled it. I am (hopefully) getting the money back. Strange that they never sent me any insurance certificate or cover note though...

What I haven't been able to get an answer to is how BISL are able to DD my bank account without my authority. I have a letter confirming my original DD mandate which was with London & Edinburgh Insurance Company Limited, but apparently somewhere along the line this mandate has been taken over by BISL. RAC Direct say that they wrote to me about this and said I could opt out if I wasn't happy - I don't recall this letter but even so I'm concerned that I have to opt OUT rather than opt in.

BISL say they can't send me a copy of the mandate, only a copy of a letter which confirms the information. My bank say they received an electronic mandate from BISL with my name on it, so they activated the DD.

So it seems that the insurance companies are able to pass our personal banks details and mandate authorisations around freely. Can this really be so?
  • jambosans
    jambosans Posts: 1,493 Forumite
    brich wrote: »
    I too have had a DD taken from my Bank Account by BISL 5 days ago. The DD was in relation to RAC Direct Insurance - who had taken the premium even though I had not renewed the policy. They say that when I signed up to the original insurance in 2008, I had also agreed to allow then to continue to take premiums unless I cancelled it. I am (hopefully) getting the money back. Strange that they never sent me any insurance certificate or cover note though...

Have you never had insurance or been in a contract before? Most insurances, and contracts after the minimum term is up will automatically renew until you provide notice to cancel.
    brich wrote: »
    What I haven't been able to get an answer to is how BISL are able to DD my bank account without my authority. I have a letter confirming my original DD mandate which was with London & Edinburgh Insurance Company Limited, but apparently somewhere along the line this mandate has been taken over by BISL. RAC Direct say that they wrote to me about this and said I could opt out if I wasn't happy - I don't recall this letter but even so I'm concerned that I have to opt OUT rather than opt in.

BISL say they can't send me a copy of the mandate, only a copy of a letter which confirms the information. My bank say they received an electronic mandate from BISL with my name on it, so they activated the DD.

So it seems that the insurance companies are able to pass our personal banks details and mandate authorisations around freely. Can this really be so?

Well, yes, if it is still RAC Direct Insurance. The company acting on their behalf is neither here nor there, ultimately it is for the same thing. Your insurance is with RAC, and your agreement with them is for automatic renewal, so you have given BISL (acting on RAC's behalf) permission to collect payment.

You are right in the sense that you should be notified by the originator of any new mandate setup on your account. However again I feel that is irrelevant, because your agreement to pay is with RAC, so the name on the direct debit shouldn't matter.
    Anything I post is my opinion, so from time to time I may be wrong. I try to provide answers based in fact, however I don't know everything, so (like all posters on MSE), take what I say with a pinch of salt.
  • I too have a BISL payment taken from my bank account. It relates to a car insurance payment via the RAC. They might have referred to the RAC in the Direct Debit!! Anyway on the back the RAC insurance blurb, in very small letters, I read "BISL LTd is an independent insurance intermediary dealing with selected insurers and authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority." Thanks for telling me :-(
  • This company act for anyone with the Post Office car insurance policies.
  • i've just googled BISL after being confused by the same Direct Debit appearing in my online banking. Post Office mentioned earlier in thread rings a bell, I've just changed my Post Office home insurance payment details. My post office paper work says my policy is with Legal and General, so I can only assume BISL act as the payment conduit for many such insurance polices.
  • jambosans
    jambosans Posts: 1,493 Forumite
    edited 25 January 2010 at 1:11AM
    loopholer wrote: »
    i've just googled BISL after being confused by the same Direct Debit appearing in my online banking. Post Office mentioned earlier in thread rings a bell, I've just changed my Post Office home insurance payment details. My post office paper work says my policy is with Legal and General, so I can only assume BISL act as the payment conduit for many such insurance polices.

BISL Ltd. are in effect the BGL Group Ltd.

The BGL Group trade under different names such as Budget and comparethemarket.com.

They provide insurance services to the Post Office (amongst others) under their partnerships division, Junction. In effect, these policies have been brokered in some shape or form by BISL.

Stab in the dark, BISL = Budget Insurance Services Limited.

Simples (no pun intended).
    Anything I post is my opinion, so from time to time I may be wrong. I try to provide answers based in fact, however I don't know everything, so (like all posters on MSE), take what I say with a pinch of salt.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure