Great 'Sell Your Gold' Hunt

Comments

• I sent my old / disused items to money4gold, I did weigh it prior to sending and had appox 46g of 9ct gold (I also sent some 14ct and silver) to which they did send me a cheque to the unbelievable amount of £52 !!!! :mad:

I have sent them their cheque back .... and after 2 phone calls requesting my items back I am still waiting 15 days later !!! :mad:

I think I will wait for my items to be returned (if I ever get them back) and use the company Hatton Garden Metals which has got some good reviews.
    So thanks to whoever posted the link :T

Hi,
    I'm just wondering how you managed to get through to these people? I've sent gold off to them, had an email confirming that they received the pack I sent, but since then heard nothing. I've sent numerous emails, but not had any replies. I've tried and tried to call them, but all I get is an answerphone message saying that they're not available... Did you ring a different number to the one on the website?
    Thanks...
    I don't think I can hang on til Friday...
  • my sister and I sold our old gold a few months ago.

Had researched online and saw that the rates were much better, but was worried about some of the problems listed!

We took ours to a local jewellers who was advertising £5/gram.
    I had weighed it before hand and had a rough idea of how much it was worth. I got £650 for 150grams. Dont particullarly understand why they advertise £5.gram then take money off but they do and it was the best offer on the high street and it was £650 that i hadnt none I would get! So I snapped it up!

But do be careful, my sisters was 200grams, and he offered her the same amount!! He obviously thought we were daft! Told him hers weighed more and he said it didnt, think he had saved the weight from mine on his scales!! So after a bit of arguising he went and got another scale and saw hers weighed more! She got about £850?

We were delighted, our jewellery had sat in boxes in drawers for about 10years and was never going to be worn again! :beer:
  • poshm
    poshm Posts: 20 Forumite
    Thanks to reading this post I sent off my unwanted jewelery to Hatton Garden Metals and have received £150 for it.

I paid £140 off my credit card and was able to treat my daughter to £10 of toys which I've put away for Christmas.

This site is really helping me to get back on track with my money at long last after years of being out of control :)
  • nexuss
    nexuss Posts: 989 Forumite
    A lot of low count posters who mention sites what a coincidence.
  • poshm
    poshm Posts: 20 Forumite
    nexuss wrote: »
    A lot of low count posters who mention sites what a coincidence.

I may have just joined on the forums but I've been reading moneysavingexpert the www and the email tips for a long time now (got a load of cheap bodyshop items thanks to the email tip-off)

So fully I understand people's skepticism re selling unwanted gold

If it hadn't of been for the fact that I'm so desperate to pay off my credit card, I wouldn't even have considered this as an option, believe me

But I checked out the Hatton Garden Website and checked out what people (not just ones providing referal links where saying) online so I did my research before I decided to take the plunge and send some unwanted pieces off.

I sent the package by special delivery as they suggest and it arrived the next day. I had an email to say what I had been awarded in terms of money (better than I estimated myself) and the money was in my account the same day as I checked it myself online.

So they are definitely a good company and one I'd use again.
  • Skyhigh wrote: »
    Gold is supposedly due for some sharp upward spikes in the price per gram in the run up to Christmas. So you may want to hold on for a while*.

Gold will drop eventually though, its gone quite high, especially due to investment due to the poor economic conditions - as economies recover, it may dip again.

Your nearly always best going to an actual bullion dealer and getting the price on the day. The problem with sending off your gold is that many companies will hold it for a few days and pick the cheapest price - and give you that.
    (This is from commercial experience, many of the big companies do this practice as it can save quite a lot of money!).

But if you do take it to a dealer direct, always watch what they're doing with your gold. It's not unknown for some people to lift out a heavy chain and quickly swap it for a lighter chain or hollow version.
    So look out for them taking specific pieces out of your sight, or 'dropping' them on the floor...
    (I'm just saying, it happens, many companies are very honest).

* Note: This is merely based on various market reports and personal knowledge, the market cannot accurately be predicted, so it may also drop.

ALWAYS CHECK YOUR CLEAR STONES.

If you have a stone of visible size (i.e. not tiny Argos chips of 'diamond'), make sure that you're absolutely sure it's not a diamond.
    If you're not sure, get it checked first.

I have several rings, some with diamonds, will the companies like Hattons give me payment including the value of the diamonds, or only the gold they are set in? I emailed them asking, but received no reply! Thank you
  • jabdc5
    jabdc5 Posts: 153 Forumite
    I took a gold ring into the local Ramsdens, they offered me £9.00 as scrap. I stuck it on Ebay and got £65!
  • thisisace
    thisisace Posts: 109 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    hollydays wrote: »
    Jewellery Doctor / www.webuyoldgold.co.uk

35 reform street,dundee,dd1 1SH

they claim
    We are recommended on forums at

Money Saving Expert

http://www.jewellerydoctor.co.uk/

Is this true-can't see any recommendations when i had a search at todays date

Thanks.

I've sent MSE a message to look into this ?
  • After reading this particular message and similar glowing reports for Hatton Garden Metals I sent off my old gold jewellery. I was very pleased with the result and was paid a good rate for my gold which was in my account next day. HOWEVER I ticked the box to have my non gold items returned to me at a cost of 6.50. One item was an engagement ring with a single diamond, not huge - only a third of a carat, but worth having back! I have now discovered that they DO NOT RETURN STONES AT ALL. The non gold items only refers to returning stuff that people have sent off thinking it was gold and it turns out not to be. They do not remove stones at all, and definitely do not send them back. I know I have been naive in not checking - I read this post and then on the Hatton Garden website saw the return option and assumed that it referred to any non gold items, including stones. Thought it worth warning others to take care with this.
  • I have used these people twice now, both for friends who live abroad.

http://www.howcashforgold.co.uk/

Phonecall received the day after the gold was sent, money in the bank account the following day. Some bits that were plated arrived back within about 2 weeks (by Special Delivery).

They are a sub-business of a jewellery shop called House Of Williams who sell on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/house-williams-london-See-Jewellery/s/qid=1256153477/ref=sr_so_0?ie=UTF8&rs=193716031&keywords=House%20of%20Williams%20London&rh=n%3A193716031%2Cn%3A!193717031%2Ck%3AHouse%20of%20Williams%20London%2Cp_4%3AHouse%20of%20Williams%20London&page=1

I'd advise people to go with their gut feeling on selling gold - I did a lot of research and made a lot of phonecalls before I decided to send my friend's off - luckily I found a good one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure