PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Going from 2 incomes to none

Hi

I ha just about to be medically returned from work and DH who has a progressive neurological condition has been told that he needs to stop work now.

I have seen this coming for a while and I have a huge store cupboard and I have also filled my freezer and I gave stocked up with non food items also.

It looks like between us we will have around 450 pm pensions and I hope that we will both be able to claim cont based ESA for a while. We have no debt as I cleared everything. My lump sum will exclude us from benefits but will have to last us till we get retirement pension in 6 sand 11 years respectively. We also have 2 cats with associated costs.

I am a good cook and can usually feed us cheaply but I am still scared witless so expect to see me a lot here. I should also add that the house is a bit of a mess because neither of us are really able to do much housework and the bedrooms are seriously in need of redecorating but again, this is so hard for us as the rooms are large.

It would be great to have a fly lady thread for messy people who have physical limitations.

Did I mention that I am scared. I just hope we can cope with this.

Comments

• craigywv
    craigywv Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    try not to worry you have came to the right place, the people on here have been through just about every scenario known to man so keep posting about your worries or fears xxx
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
  • good_advice
    good_advice Posts: 2,653
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    Hello Ariadne. Life is exciting and you both are about to begin a new journey. More peaceful and slower.
    Time will become your own.

I see you are new to MSE and welcome.

Your good planning and storing a good cupboard for future use is going to come in.Some times shopping days are missed through illness or weather. You can eat from the stock cupboard.

Cutting back on spending happens over time. It took us over a year.
    Contracts are a yearly thing and then some times you sill do not think you can do with out.

read the MSE boards. lots of useful advice.
    The secret to success is making very small, yet constant changes.:)
  • iris
    iris Posts: 1,376
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If you buy The Sun newspaper today for 40p there is a voucher in it for £5 worth of fruit and veg per transaction with no minimum spend to use in Morrisons, so basically £4.60's worth of fruit and veg for free. It is valid until Sunday 6 July. Perhaps you could buy several copies:D HTH
  • Ariadne1
    Ariadne1 Posts: 26 Forumite
    edited 3 July 2014 at 12:52PM
    Thanks for all the kind replies, I could feel my eyes tearing reading.

Iris

Thank you for your hint, unfortunately I don't gave a morrisons close and hubby isn't able to drive at the moment, I can't drive at all now so we are kind of limited distance wise.

My store cupboard is embarrassing in its magnitude. As I said I have known for a while this was going to happen and as soon as the debts were paid and standing orders pared to the bone I was using hubby's salary to buy things. For the past 3 years he has only been able to work part time so he didn't earn a lot. I have something like 3 cases of beans, tomatoes, etc. my huge walk in cupboard is full

We love indian food and I have stocked up on pulses, chapatti flour, spices etc. I can cook old fashioned filling food learned from my late mum. We are happy to sit snuggled with throws in the winter. Last year I bought heated throws and reduced my fuel bill by a quarter over the winter.

All this still doesn't stop me being terrified as I always knew we had my salary in the background. The idea was that we would sell up and move away as the building we live in has really deteriorated due to 2 families that moved in and have turned it into a slum. Moving is now out of the question now as the flat won't sell due to these families in the adjoining building.

:eek: thanks for listening to my rumblings. It is actually good to write it down as I don't want to worry hubby as he is worried enough about me
  • lilbert
    lilbert Posts: 641 Forumite
    If you are unwell, would ordering your shopping to be delivered be better for you? You can tweak the basket to your budget then and save energy and effort for cooking.
    Batch cooking has saved me (I am unwell) I cook double of something and freeze one for bad days. Instant ready meal healthier and a lot cheaper.
  • good_advice
    good_advice Posts: 2,653
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    Ariadne, be careful to watch the dates if storing a very large amount of food. I go through my cupboards about once a month looking at dates and getting out things left with just a small amount in.

Gone are the days of buying newspapers and magazines. We now only read the free ones. I read the Daily Mail online for free.

Crafting is often with recycled things.
    Spring and seed sowing - we used margarine/icecream tubs.

Less money takes time to adapt to and some people a lot longer to STOP! before running to the shops look round to see if you can use what you have.

Funny story = yesterday Oh and I were going hospital visiting.
    I made us both a packed lunch as it is a 2 hour round trip and we spent 2 hours just keeping company to the patient.
    Oh is still in learning sometimes and started with hospital canteen...one look was enough!
    We ate our free lunch outside in the hospital grounds = no money spent except we had to pay for the car park.
    The secret to success is making very small, yet constant changes.:)
  • Lenaia
    Lenaia Posts: 7 Forumite
    Hi Ariadne,

We're also reducing our income but down to one. I know our circumstances aren't the same but I'm also a bit scared and hoping we'll cope ok.

I don't have any words of wisdom but I know there are lots of people on here who do and we're in the right place for help.

I just wanted to say hi and reassure you that it will be ok and I hope it eases your mind a bit that you're not alone on your journey.
  • It is scary. We went from two to one income. Like Lenaia, I know it's not the same, but we understand a little ��.

If you can I would advise getting another freezer for your stocks of rice and flour as both should freeze indefinitely and will prevent weevils etc. xx
  • ginnyknit
    ginnyknit Posts: 3,718
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I know exactly what you are going through Ariadne, I gave up work 5 yeaars go to care for Hubby. It was wise of you to stock up, that will be a great help. Do you have hobbies? I do a lot and I men a lot of crafting for fmaily, friends and charity. It keeps me busy whilst being mainly housebound.

Being on line has kept me sane, theres always someone to talk to, things to look at and free patterns to print out. Keep on posting your fears and your good days, we will be here.
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hi Ariadne,

I would advise you read and read and read this site there is so much information on saving on everything. There is stuff about benefits. Not all of it will be effected buy your lump sum it may ever get you a little more at some stage because a small amount of savings can increase some benefits.

I would look at you both getting disability living allowance. It will be well worth a trip to Citizens Advice they can look at all you may be entitled to. Ask for an assessment interview for both of you.

Look in all sections for money savings advice even for families there are things on there that will apply to couples. You may be able to get some reductions because of your disabilities and ill health so ask.

Take a look at all the threads there is something for everyone. You would be very welcome on Door step this is the sort of thing the thread is for to give support. You are definitely in the right area with OS.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure