The Cheapest Gas Supplier With No Standing Charge?

Comments

• MillicentBystander
    MillicentBystander Posts: 3,518 Forumite
    edited 20 January 2011 at 8:47AM
    KimYeovil wrote: »
    But it could be pointless waiting for a £105 discount if you are paying an unnecessary £255 standing charge. The OP has not identified their useage. They still have to look at what other tariffs would cost.

Should have gone to specsavers, Kim. The OP 'identified their usage' in post 6. I think my advice with regard to changing to SOL21 would probably be the way forward, just as long as the annual discount pertaining to SOL14 isn't negated. But like I said earlier, get out of npower as soon as is economically possible. This case certainly highlights the dangers of tying oneself into a variable tariff for a minimum of 12 months. Especially one that effectively has TWO exit fees. This is what deregulation has finally led to....
  • Thanks to all of you who have responded to my inital question. I am following MillicentBystander's advice and will switch to SOL21 for the minimum term, and get out finally when I can. Npower have already confirmed I can keep my £105 discount.

Arion66
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 January 2011 at 3:49PM
    arion66 wrote: »
    Dear Respondees

Thanks so much for your indvidual and collective wisdom. I have just rung Npower, and have obtained the following total annual usage figures for 2010:

ELECTRCITY: 2286 units
    GAS: 537 Kilowatt Hours.

Any further advice?

Arion66.

I'm dubious about these figures, as 537kWh of gas at say 4p per kwH is only £21 per year.
    Are you sure it's not 537 units per year? Do you have a metric or imperial meter? Assuming metric, that would be about 6,100kWh, or £240pa.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • The OP stated the only gas appliance he has is a cooker so it's the electric consumption I'de be doubtful about, TBH.
  • macman
    Which Npower gas tariff charges £255.50 a year standing charge?!!
  • SOL14 by the looks of it. I'm suspecting it's gone up massively since the OP went on in the Summer. This is hy you should be wary of the figs for SOL the switching sites use as they INCLUDE the £105 annual discount paid in arrears.

Standing Charge 60.7000p (ex. VAT) a day
    (63.7350p a day or £58 per quarter inc. VAT)
  • I am in an almost identical situation to the original poster except I'm with EDF and they have a standing charge of around 20p a day. Also, I've been with them for three years so there shouldn't be any annual contract issues. What is SOL14 and SOL21 please? I clearly need to switch but I can't work out where to.
    Thank you.
  • macman
    Helen-Eva wrote: »
    I am in an almost identical situation to the original poster except I'm with EDF and they have a standing charge of around 20p a day. Also, I've been with them for three years so there shouldn't be any annual contract issues. What is SOL14 and SOL21 please? I clearly need to switch but I can't work out where to.
    Thank you.

But which EDF tariff? The standing charge will vary according to that. To switch, put your annual kWh figures into any recommended comp site.
  • macman wrote: »
    But which EDF tariff? The standing charge will vary according to that. To switch, put your annual kWh figures into any recommended comp site.

I know this may sound very stupid to you but I'm afraid I don't know how to find out what tariff I'm on. Does it say on the bill somewhere? And I'm afraid when I tried to put my annual kWh into a comparison site it said my usage was too low for it to work. Any advice would be much appreciated and please forgive me for being so stupid.
  • macman
    It will say on your bill, your contract paperwork, or your online account.
    Sounds like your annual kWh figure is incorrectly worked out-what figure are you trying to input for gas/electrcity?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport