PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

sewing machine help

i have an e & r classic sub22 sewing machine and after months of build up, classes and buying material etc when i took machine from box the foot had come off. one of my lessons showed me how to change the foot to a button hole one, so i knew it just needed jiggling a bit for it to be placed in a piec of the unit that had a bar on. unfortunately as i pushed the foot up the piece it was meant to go into came out. its the bit where the lift lever is. have tried fixing it at a bit where there was a screw that was a bit loose so tightened it with the foot in place but although it looks right the lever now does not move up or down to release the material. have hunted on some manuals but cannot find any free ones. am hoping have explained it enough for someon to help or if you know where i can get a free manual would be very :j

Comments

• thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Not quite sure I'm understanding correctly; was it the little bit with the bar on that the foot clips onto, or was it the whole shaft that moves it all up & down that came off? Can you upload a picture? I'm no great expert, but I mend a lot of old sewing machines & newer ones aren't all that different.

And when did you buy the machine? Whichever bit came off, it shouldn't do that...
    Angie - GC April 24 £367.67/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • homealone_2
    homealone_2 Posts: 2,004 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Not quite sure I'm understanding correctly; was it the little bit with the bar on that the foot clips onto, or was it the whole shaft that moves it all up & down that came off? Can you upload a picture? I'm no great expert, but I mend a lot of old sewing machines & newer ones aren't al/////l that different.

And when did you buy the machine? Whichever bit came off, it shouldn't do that...

thank you for your reply. somehow i think i have managed to fix it and i now have another problem. really having trouble getting to the stage where the loop shows through, which you pull out to then give you the 2 strands. put it in every which way you could , then thought would try a plastic spool and it went in ok. but now you put your foot down and it makes all the right noises but nothing happens, no movement at all. is it something to do with the bobbin? have i still not got it in yet? or am i expecting too much from a machine neglected for so long?
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,293 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Right noises, but no movement - could be you have the clutch for thread winding in play. Not sure where it is on your machine, but firstly, does it sew when you turn the hand wheel on the right, and secondly is the hand wheel pushed all the way in?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Agree with theoretica, check that it's switched to stitch, not to wind the bobbin. But it's beginning to sound like you need to locate the receipt and take it back, if you bought it new; you shouldn't have to struggle with it in order to sew.

I regularly "do up" machines that have been sat at the back of someone's wardrobe for 50-60 years. Mostly, all they need is a clean-out & a drop of fresh oil to function perfectly - oh, and the right size & shape of bobbin, but you've already checked that. Granted that older machines are tougher and weren't built to need replacing in 5 years but to last a lifetime (though they're nowhere near as versatile) I have to say that yours isn't sounding too good. Hoping that it's just switched to bobbin-filling...
    Angie - GC April 24 £367.67/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure