accounts assistant or assistant accountant

2»

Comments

• Any wrote: »

Assistant accountant must have some qualifications or in training (to be able to use the term "accountant") while accounts assistant doesn't have to.

I am reliably informed that anyone can call themselves an accountant...

Are there any other alternative job titles for this kind of job? I usually call my current job 'accounts assistant' but maybe I can put something better sounding on my CV without saying accountant as that might be misleading? (I don't have a contract or anything which sets out my job title)
  • This reminds me of "The Office" where Gareth always said his job title was "Assistant Manager" and David Brent always corrected it to "Assistant TO the Manager" haha. it's amazing what difference 2 words can make.

OP - Assistant Accountant means you're an Accountant
    Accounts assistant means you're an Assistant

I'd imagine there's probably a fair difference in wage packet which should tell you the difference between the two roles :)
    456789 Posts: 2,305
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I am reliably informed that anyone can call themselves an accountant...
    Indeed there is no protection in law for the term 'accountant' unlike the term 'doctor' or 'barrister'
  • 456789 wrote: »
    Indeed there is no protection in law for the term 'accountant' unlike the term 'doctor' or 'barrister'
    ... or architect

And the job title "secretary" has been debased. Basically it now means "word processor operator" but originally was a senior position, someone entrusted with secrets.
  • jackomdj
    jackomdj Posts: 3,073
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Are there any other alternative job titles for this kind of job? I usually call my current job 'accounts assistant' but maybe I can put something better sounding on my CV without saying accountant as that might be misleading? (I don't have a contract or anything which sets out my job title)

Financial Analyst is always an option, depending upon what you actually do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure