PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

'supporting each other through really tough times'

Options

Comments

• Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    edited 2 November 2012 at 5:45AM
    Options
    Well I have mixed feelings about the DLA changes to PIP in that if a form arrives and before the deadline people could be ok until another review date comes around and be at the back of the queue.

On the other hand if a review comes up after the deadline, you could be one of the first affected.

And no one likes the form as it exists already.

Still things can't be changed...the House of Lords often criticised did try to stop many of the changes or at least make them not so brutal but clever political footwork in the Commons overturned their ammendments...

As for the idea you have to be 55 to be a decent cook...
    I think that many are able to do most of what is on that list.

It's frightening to think that I have probably been cooking for over 40 years. I probably did learn watching Mum and Dad but I think I just picked it up through commonsense and practice...I don't remember getting a lesson as such.

You do wonder who thinks up some of the stories that are brought out:pthough you can sometimes get a chuckle out of them...
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • Molly41
    Molly41 Posts: 4,919 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Im ignoring all the scare mongering about DLA and crossing that bridge when I get to it!
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    When the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
  • Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    Options
    Morning Molly,
    Sometimes that's all you can do and try to live in the now...easier said then done...I'm not really sure you can plan too far ahead when all is well either as things can change so quickily...too much uncertainty.

It can be a simple event close to home or big like the recent hurricane that hit New York.
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • meme30
    meme30 Posts: 534 Forumite
    Options
    Stiltwalker:- Have a wonderful day, it will fly past and yes, there are bound to be tears. Take it all in and bask in being the star for a day. Enjoy yourself! :happylove
    Give us the strength to encounter that which is to come, that we may be brave in peril, constant in tribulation, temparate in wrath, and in all changes of fortune, and down to the gates of death, loyal and loving to one another.”
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Happy wedding day stiltwalker, hope you have a wonderful day and rest of life together.
    X
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    Oh crumbs, I missed that stiltwalker was getting married today. Have a fabulous day! :) Marriage is good, even when you've lived together and already got little ones, marriage changed something in us. Everything just seemed to flow, connect. It's probably contentment ;)

Have a lovely, lovely day :)

Molly you absolutely do the correct thing in ignoring what if's. There's what if's for all of us in many a different form. I despair at what our 'news' is turning into... people's opinions. Nobody really knows what is going to happen but so many people are experts. So many people know. They don't they just express an opinion and other people pick it up as gospel.

I have an awful lot of houseworky things to do today as I have my mam coming over to stay as she wants to spend time with the girls (just what I need eh? Think I'll go into shut down and knit this evening... I bet she drinks all my home brew) But I am determined to bake today, or make something crafty.

This is what we're staying in when we go to France. Tiny but quite nice - it'll do me!
    1337257344_200.jpg

My mam told her friends that we were visiting Paris instead of the South of France and she was embarrassed to tell them we had to get the coach right down to the South of France. I must be such an embarrassment to my mam - good :rotfl:

We're not going to Provence, but Provencial region and booking onto a trip to visit Provence.

I won't go on about it, promise. Just wanted to show you my lil caravan-chalet thing. :)
  • nuttyp
    nuttyp Posts: 2,035 Forumite
    Options
    morning everyone.

Fuddle, your lil caravan looks lovely, your ll ones will love the adventure. Its going to be a very special trip and memory.

Helen good luck for your wedding day today, hope the rain stays away for the photos.

Well today is a chill day - sort of. Tomorrow im working a 14hr shift, sunday all day and then monday 14 hours. Really not looking forward to it. Tuesday/wednesday I begin the new job induction course and thats when i need to juggle the new job and the old job for 3 weeks!!! Im expecting to work everyday. Have debriefed OH but he just said ok, bet he wont be so keen when he doesnt haveany tea when he gets home.

Going to get a few bits of shopping today, have booked a haircut as i have new job to start. Its woth the trainee, and a dry cut but that will still be nearly £10.
    :D:D BSC member 137 :D:D

BR 26/10/07 Discharged 09/05/08 !!!

Onwards and upwards - no looking back....
  • kidcat
    kidcat Posts: 6,058 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Going to the chapel and we're gonna get married .......

Sorry just getting slightly carried away there, happy wedding day stiltwalker :)

Fuddle it looks beautiful.

pooky - hope you are all better now

have got a review meeting at school about DS14 today which I am dreading, he announced yesterday that he doesnt want to return to the group as there is now too many people and that he wants to return to school as he is worried what people are saying - yet when I asked if he was happy to go back if school had made no changes he said no! So I have no idea what to do next.
  • alec_eiffel
    alec_eiffel Posts: 1,304 Forumite
    Options
    Popperwell wrote: »
    As many here like to cook(and seem pretty good at doing so)have you seen this story?

Women aren't good cooks until they are 55

I can see what they're saying with that. It's only this year I've really started to cook a few key dishes really really well, not just "ok" and I'm in my very late 30's, I can see I'll be great in a few more years! But they did spell "yolk" wrong so the article probably loses points for that.

I've decided to jump in with this thread, I'm not a scaremongery type but there are a few things going on where DH works that make me want to really dig in and get some serious savings together.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Been lurking on the old thread for ages and as a new thread has now been started then I think that it is time that I join in and say 'hello'! Everyone seems so friendly and supportive, I'm looking forward to getting to know you all a little better :)
    Hello! Another noob taking advantage of the new thread here! :hello:

Sadly I'm another one here with an OH recently been made redundant. I am poorly with a recurrent illness at the moment as well, that doesn't help :( But so many people are in worse positions, I shouldn't complain really. I'm a compulsive stockpiler so if nothing else at least we won't go hungry.

:j Great! New thread and newly-delurked posters, what could be better? Welcome aboard.

Thinking of Stiltwalker and family and wishing them a fantastic day and that the weather be kind.

I'm a happy bunny as had a lovely evening catching up with my pal tho I can't really understand how the two of us drank 2 bottles of wine in 4 hours. And no hangover. :whistle:

Truly miraculous. Going to see him again after work (this guy lives in the north of Scotland but used to live down here) so we don't see each other very often but it's great to catch up.

I'd like a scone, pretty-please, if there's one going.

Fuddle, you holiday acccomodation looks lovely. I've gone from Scotland to Paris by coach before now and it's fine; you just drowse a lot of the time. We also did long coach trips as a family when we were about the age of your girls. No other choice; parents didn't have a car and flying was something Other People did. Treat it as part of the holiday, not an inconvenient interlude at each end, and make the fun start immediately.

As another poster said, the great thing is that you load your luggage on the coach and then you don't have to fret about it for the rest of the journey. Even if your holiday budget stretched to a flight, you'd spend hours hanging around the airport before boarding and slightly-less time hanging around at the other end x 4 per journey and that really eats into the time saved over other travel methods.

I had've had it up to here (imagine hand parallel to top of head but well above) with blinking airports and being in the grip of RyanAir and SleazyJet and emergency landings and so on and so forth. So have decided to holiday in the UK for a while. I can hire a car to get over the inconvenience and expense of public transport.

Scottish pal (Aberdeenshire) even said I should come and stay with them, which I may well do for a couple of nights, as part of a wider trip, if we can fix something next year.

Righty, first pint of tea down the hatch, time for the next pint and bringing my brain up to operational temperature. It's a sunny dry day outside, the first for some time. I do adore autumn when it's crisp and dry and all the colours are in the leaves.

Have a good day (esp Clan Stiltwalker) GQ xx
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills