Sat Nav for Florida

Comments

• i'll just go on my own experiences that the sat nav cuts a huge amount of stress out of driving on a trip to the US and Canada.....
    have you ever used one in the States ? (or even here?)

No - for a very simple reason.
    The road system in the States is incredibly easy to follow for several reasons - because of the long distances there is plenty of time to use a map;most towns and cities have by-passes to avoid you getting lost in them and the roads were designed by and for American who are without doubt the laziest drivers on God's earth.
    I've probably driven 20,000 miles on US roads and never got lost once.
    I repeat - you are wasting your time and money.
  • We just take our own one and downloaded the maps needed 3 years ago.

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • Nobjocki wrote: »
    The road system in the States is incredibly easy to follow for several reasons - because of the long distances there is plenty of time to use a map;most towns and cities have by-passes to avoid you getting lost in them and the roads were designed by and for American who are without doubt the laziest drivers on God's earth.

i thought it would be just as easy getting lost driving 4 miles through philadelphia to find hillside avenue as driving through birmingham to find hillside avenue.
    i commend you on never getting lost in driving 20000 miles in the States ...i feel embarrassed to admit that i must have got lost for the first time in the States after about 20 miles ....my first time in boston involved viewing most of the city centre over and over again....thankfully i had unlimited mileage!.
    i had a history of viewing parts of various US cities in the car that i really shouldn't have visited.
    road signage in the US is pathetic compared to what we are used to here.
    if i want a cashpoint i tap the screen on the sat nav ..want to eat in a particular restaurant chain i just hit the screen
    absolute piece of p
  • Amys wrote: »
    it seems daft to hire one as the cost, as for the time were are there it would cost more than the cost of buying the maps.

Long trip then? I've hired units for a few $ per day.
  • Sheel
    Sheel Posts: 45,671 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    i thought it would be just as easy getting lost driving 4 miles through philadelphia to find hillside avenue as driving through birmingham to find hillside avenue.
    i commend you on never getting lost in driving 20000 miles in the States ...i feel embarrassed to admit that i must have got lost for the first time in the States after about 20 miles ....my first time in boston involved viewing most of the city centre over and over again....thankfully i had unlimited mileage!.
    i had a history of viewing parts of various US cities in the car that i really shouldn't have visited.
    road signage in the US is pathetic compared to what we are used to here.
    if i want a cashpoint i tap the screen on the sat nav ..want to eat in a particular restaurant chain i just hit the screen
    absolute piece of p

Oh good , we're not the only ones! We've ended up in some pretty dodgy areas too. Miami was a bit scary :eek:

I agree about the signs being poor over there. Mind you we get lost in the UK a lot too :o My fault probably , i'm not the best at navigating. OH gets mad at me as I tend to point and shout "go that way" and he keeps saying pointing's no good as he can't tell where i'm pointing to :rolleyes: :rotfl:

Oh and the OH is not a sales rep and has never driven a Mondeo in his life :p
    Same old same old since 2008

• eslick
    eslick Posts: 2,062 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    for those that have never got lost, here is a question, if you are on a freeway and you miss your exit you need to going miles before the next one. Not all exits are well sign posted, in many states the sign posts are right on the exit and its not always clear before the exit approaches which one is needed.

Myself and our inlaws have driven from one side of the US to the other and have had this happens on numerous occasions. My father in law (an ex traffic cop and used to motorway driving) took his PDA which he has a satnav on his last trip and his belief is that it made driving so much easier.

I am not one for satnavs but have to admit that when we go to the US later this year, I will be using one.
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Nobjocki wrote: »

I disagree with you Nobjocki.

A holiday is a holiday and if something makes the OP more relaxed about motoring in the States then that is a valuable aid for them.

Yes it is easy to get from City to City in the US. But what happens when you need to find your hotel each night? I've done loads of fly drives and business mileage and whilst the interstates are no problem I find that it is a problem finding hotels. Sometimes there are so many hotels of the same chain in the area that it's easy to turn up at the wrong one.

Also on the older interstates the entrance ramps are almost hidden and the signage is appalling. It's so easy to miss them.

When you're on holiday, it's late, dark, the kids are whinging and hungry, sat nav is worth every penny on holiday.
    The man without a signature.
  • I use WifeNav.
    Admittedly, it is very expensive to upkeep, but I've always found it to be 100% reliable (although at times it does have an annoying 'voice' programme) and has several fringe benefits that aren't available in an electronic device.

blackcat.gif
  • Nobjocki
    Nobjocki Posts: 947 Forumite
    Well,the OP mentioned Florida rather than a cross-country trip but the result is still the same.
    If you plan your journey in advance and write down exits numbers that you need to take that are clearly marked on the map then they're very clear on the road.
    Either way each to their own but I still regard SatNav for tourist purposes in the States as a complete waste of time - besides which one of the joys of a road trip is getting lost and discovering new places.
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Nobjocki wrote: »
    Well,the OP mentioned Florida rather than a cross-country trip but the result is still the same.
    If you plan your journey in advance and write down exits numbers that you need to take that are clearly marked on the map then they're very clear on the road.
    Either way each to their own but I still regard SatNav for tourist purposes in the States as a complete waste of time - besides which one of the joys of a road trip is getting lost and discovering new places.

I can agree with you on certain points but maybe the OP and others aren't as confident in finding their way around and also driving on the wrong side.

I agree about discovering new places and sat nav does have its uses. I love driving down to Cornwall and looking at the coast on satnav to see where the tiny roads meander down to the coast. They normally lead to lovely unspoilt coves.
    The man without a signature.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport