Never had to pay for water before- is £930pa normal?

Abitlost
Abitlost Posts: 5 Forumite
edited 26 November 2015 at 8:19PM in Water bills
Just moved into a puny studio flat in Cornwall with no dishwasher, no washing machine, no bath and no garden. (edit- wrote this first time round on my mobile)

Was greeted by a south west water bill for £340 from now until March , great start to the day.

I'm assuming I ant have a meter installed as there's 3 flats here so what amount should I expect to pay for water bills if they are assessed down?

The two current options if I cannot pay close to what I actually use unmetered are to leave the flat entirely or turn the street into a public swimming pool. If I'm feeling especially generous I'll open up a charity launderette for the homeless and run 10 machines 24 hours per day.

Am I screwed?

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    South West Water have the highest water charges in UK - even with the Government £50pa rebate.

If your flat is unsuitable to have a meter fitted, you can get an 'assessed charge' - you can look up the charges on-line.
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    you can still have a meter in a flat, £930 seems very high for a year for a flat , do you owe them any money from old property ?
  • No I don't owe them money, Ive never paid for water before, always lived with my parents or shared with friends.

The bill today was only for £340 but that runs until March, the £900+ figure came from phoning them.

I was expecting to pay about £200 a year at most, not almost 4 times that much.

I dont know anything about what they can do, should I just pay the £340? According to their site (southwestwater.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/132/session/L3RpbWUvMTQzMjEyMDM1MS9zaWQvS0hROEpPbW0=) the most a single person should be paying is £325.60 per year.
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    apply for a meter now , you will need to pay something but not the full amount, give them a call
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Abitlost wrote: »
    No I don't owe them money, Ive never paid for water before, always lived with my parents or shared with friends.

The bill today was only for £340 but that runs until March, the £900+ figure came from phoning them.

I was expecting to pay about £200 a year at most, not almost 4 times that much.

I dont know anything about what they can do, should I just pay the £340? According to their site (southwestwater.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/132/session/L3RpbWUvMTQzMjEyMDM1MS9zaWQvS0hROEpPbW0=) the most a single person should be paying is £325.60 per year.

You have misread that, or rather taken it out of context.

As I said in my earlier post, you only get the single person 'Assessed Charge' if you have applied for a water meter and it cannot be fitted.
    Assessed Charges for water and sewerage services will be offered where a domestic customer has applied for a meter but the cost of installing a meter would be unreasonable or it would not be practical to install a meter and where no agreement has been made for a single meter to serve more than one property.

So you must apply for a meter first.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    What's the rateable value? Studio flat, one occupant, SWW prices; metered billing is a no brainer.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I live in a flat and pay £440 a year.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,611 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    not your area but I have dishwasher, power shower, 2 big muddy dogs, 2 adults and a teenager, washing machine, etc, etc and I pay £24 pcm on a meter. I would try to get one fitted ASAP
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    MallyGirl wrote: »
    not your area but I have dishwasher, power shower, 2 big muddy dogs, 2 adults and a teenager, washing machine, etc, etc and I pay £24 pcm on a meter. I would try to get one fitted ASAP

South West would easily be double that for exactly the same usage.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure