AerialForce Quote and actual price

Had a quote of £199 today. The job was completed and I gave my card for him to take payment. I was not told at all that this quote did not include VAT. Ended up taking nearly £240 from me.

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    EmmaMarnie wrote: »
    Had a quote of £199 today. The job was completed and I gave my card for him to take payment. I was not told at all that this quote did not include VAT. Ended up taking nearly £240 from me.

That's outrageous... should've been £238.80. ;)

But seriously, was it a written quotation?
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,994 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    You a retail or business customer? Bit naughty not quoting Vat inclusive to Joe Public.
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    I would be taking this up with them.........very naughty in my opinion.
    However hidden away on their T&C's is this 'All diagnostic & service charges are exclusive of VAT'
    A quick free phone call confirms that quotes do NOT include VAT.
    Underhand is an apt description..........
  • Lomast
    Lomast Posts: 848 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    As far as im aware unless you are a business customer then they are legally required to quote you and inclusive price.
    If you are a business customer then its quite normal to be quoted ex VAT but they should really still tell you its an ex VAT price
  • George_Michael
    George_Michael Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Whilst it might not be good business practice, the installation company were acting within the law.

There is legislation that covers how the selling price of goods must be displayed to consumers and this is the "Price marking order 2004"
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2004/102/article/1/made
    and this does state that goods sold to consumers should show a tax inclusive price.
    “selling price” means the final price for a unit of a product, or a given quantity of a product, including VAT and all other taxes;

However, there is an exemption that would cover what happened to the OP:
    Scope of application of the Order
    3.—(1) This Order shall not apply:

(a) to products which are supplied in the course of the provision of a service; or

So basically, if you are sold an aerial, the trader should show a VAT inclusive price but if you are sold an aerial as part of an installation service, the quote can be shown excluding VAT.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure