Garmin watch - return method

Hi all - Hope someone can help. I've got a Garmin watch that has developed fault. It is 10 months old - Chatted to them online - they were pretty good and have said if i send it back they will send me a replacement - (they said it will be as new.. ) but possibly a return. No real problems with this.

They have asked that I send it back at my expense - and they will send the replacement out. Should they not be paying for this if the watch is faulty?
My concern is that it may get lost before getting to them - it's a £400 watch - and want to avoid this scenario.

I'd rather it went back in a method of their choosing and with it being their responsibility - perhaps a courier pick up.

I guess my question is
1. Can they do that.
2. can anyone suggest a secure method of getting the watch to them. (UK based address)

Thanks -

Charlie.

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    charlie71 wrote: »
    Hi all - Hope someone can help. I've got a Garmin watch that has developed fault. It is 10 months old - Chatted to them online - they were pretty good and have said if i send it back they will send me a replacement - (they said it will be as new.. ) but possibly a return. No real problems with this.

They have asked that I send it back at my expense - and they will send the replacement out. Should they not be paying for this if the watch is faulty?
    My concern is that it may get lost before getting to them - it's a £400 watch - and want to avoid this scenario.

I'd rather it went back in a method of their choosing and with it being their responsibility - perhaps a courier pick up.

I guess my question is
    1. Can they do that.
    2. can anyone suggest a secure method of getting the watch to them. (UK based address)

Thanks -

Charlie.
    Who are 'them' and 'they' that you keep referring to?

If you are considering returning the goods to the manufacturer under their guarantee, then, assuming you didn't buy direct from the manufacturer, the manufacturer has to abide by the terms of that guarantee - as do you. So if that guarantee says you pay the postage, then that's what needs to happen.

If you are referring to whoever sold the thing to you, then things change entirely.
    Before I expand on that perhaps you can tell us when this purchase was made and how you paid for it?
  • charlie71
    charlie71 Posts: 40 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Wealdroam - I was not clear. THEM is Garmin direct

I bought the watch from Blacks who I spoke to directly and they said they would send it away to Garmin for diagnosis which could take up to 4 weeks.

I spoke directly to Garmin today and they have said I need to send it to them - I'm just concerned about posting it.

Purchased online about 10 months ago - possibly by CC but may have been a debit card
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    If you are concerned about it getting lost etc, just make sure you pick a postal method that covers the value of the watch. So if it does get lost you have a back up. I've lost count of the threads on here where people have only taken out the minimal insurance and then moan when they can't claim back the full value of the item they were sending after it was lost/damaged.

If you don't want to do this, then return to Blacks and let them send it away.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    I spoke directly to Garmin today and they have said I need to send it to them - I'm just concerned about posting it.
    Royal Mail Special Delivery is probably appropriate for that value.
    Depending on weight, it will certainly cost less than £10 insured up to £500.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I take it you have a receipt if you let Blacks sort it ?
  • charlie71
    charlie71 Posts: 40 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks all -

the royal mail suggestion looks the best - It's only £7 and as you said is insured up to £500.
  • naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    Thanks all -

the royal mail suggestion looks the best - It's only £7 and as you said is insured up to £500.

If you want to be really careful then read the terms and conditions, particularly what you need to do (in the hopefully unlikely) event you need to make a claim. That way you can be sure if you do need to make a claim that you will have the correct evidence to support it. (Don't just rely on what the staff in the PO tell you.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure