Ebay postage question/query

Hi

I bought an item for £10 a while ago, decided I no longer wanted it so listed it on Ebay starting bid 99p with £2.85 postage. Listing ended over the weekend and sold for £49.00. I specified 1st Class post.

As it's gone for a lot more than expected (I thought about £15-20) should I send 1st class still or should I send 1st Class Recorded? I am unsure as I think if it goes missing anyway they will only refund me what I paid for the item (£10), not the £49 it sold for.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should do please? Thanks in advance.

TMD
Sealed Pot Challenge #016

Comments

• November2
    November2 Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Not quite sure why you're deliberating as recorded delivery isn't expensive. So, yes definitely send recorded delivery that way buyer can't pretend they've not received it. If you send by just 1st class buyer can just open a not received case and you would automatically lose.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I think if it goes missing anyway they will only refund me what I paid for the item (£10), not the £49 it sold for.
    Its worth what it sold for. How would they know what you paid for it?
    For a £49 item I would pay the extra few pounds for signed for.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,186 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The sticky postage thread covers this issue, as a private seller on ebay (I assume) you would expect to be covered by the ebay selling price)

Recorded has been replaced by signed for which is an additional £1.10. It is not really suitable for paypal as in many areas it never shows as delivered, but it is useful in that it increases the 'insurance' on lost items from £20-£50 .
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • too_much_debt
    too_much_debt Posts: 3,218 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    November2 wrote: »
    Not quite sure why you're deliberating as recorded delivery isn't expensive. So, yes definitely send recorded delivery that way buyer can't pretend they've not received it. If you send by just 1st class buyer can just open a not received case and you would automatically lose.

Thanks for your reply! I am not querying the cost, I am querying the fact that I specified 1st Class and if I send Recorded and they are not in they will have to go and collect it from their sorting office (it might be an inconvenience).

As a buyer would you leave neg/neutral feedback to a seller sending something by a different postage method? Although really I am just upgrading.

Thanks!

TMD
  • too_much_debt
    Its worth what it sold for. How would they know what you paid for it?
    For a £49 item I would pay the extra few pounds for signed for.

Thanks for your reply. I am not querying the cost, just wondering if the buyer would be annoyed if they were not in and had to go and collect it and whether they would leave neutral/neg feedback for it. I know buyers would not be happy if a listing specified 1st class and it was send 2nd class so wondered if the same applied for 1st class being send 1st Recorded.

I am sure when I claimed once before the form asked for evidence of what I paid for it but that might have been on my old business account, can't remember now as I stopped selling as a business over 6 years ago.

Thanks.

TMD
  • too_much_debt
    soolin wrote: »
    The sticky postage thread covers this issue, as a private seller on ebay (I assume) you would expect to be covered by the ebay selling price)

Recorded has been replaced by signed for which is an additional £1.10. It is not really suitable for paypal as in many areas it never shows as delivered, but it is useful in that it increases the 'insurance' on lost items from £20-£50 .

Thanks Soolin! Will read the sticky on postage.
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,789 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks for your reply! I am not querying the cost, I am querying the fact that I specified 1st Class and if I send Recorded and they are not in they will have to go and collect it from their sorting office (it might be an inconvenience).

As a buyer would you leave neg/neutral feedback to a seller sending something by a different postage method? Although really I am just upgrading.

Thanks!

TMD

I think you need to look at it this way. Would you rather send it recorded when you said 1st? Or send it 1st and lose £49 because it got lost in the post? I think you are worrying over nothing because it is still going by the service specified. I think you would be crazy to send something worth £50 by a service that you have no chance of knowing if it got there or not. Personally I'd be considering Special Delivery or a courier as recorded is not that reliable tracking wise.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,186 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

Thanks!

TMD

That's a point actually, we have had buyers on here state they would leave poor feedback for someone who changed the postage method on them. However, I think that's rare and would perhaps would decide depending on the size of the item.

If it is small enough to go through a letter box then I might not upgrade on the basis it might force a buyer to go to the Mail Centre to collect it. If however the buyer already needed to be in to accept a large parcel then I might risk upgrading.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Thanks for your reply! I am not querying the cost, I am querying the fact that I specified 1st Class and if I send Recorded and they are not in they will have to go and collect it from their sorting office (it might be an inconvenience).

eBay's policy is to send it at least signed for or tracked. End of story. There are some people noses put out if you charge for "postage and PACKING" and the packaging is used. It takes all sorts.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I am not querying the cost, just wondering if the buyer would be annoyed if they were not in and had to go and collect it and whether they would leave neutral/neg feedback for it. I know buyers would not be happy if a listing specified 1st class and it was send 2nd class so wondered if the same applied for 1st class being send 1st Recorded.
    I've added signed for to items listed without it and never had a complaint. I've also received items where this has been added and although it might be a minor inconvenience I've never thought the seller was wrong to add it.
    Since my sorting office moved to a distant location with very poor parking I arrange re-delivery online. If a customer does complain about collecting the item suggest this as an option.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure