PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How to sell house with integral annexe

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    our property incorporates a modest annexe which is built into the side of the house.

Structurally, it would be impossible to link the house and annexe although all services and utilities are shared.

So the annex has it own kitchen and bathroom and a separate entrance but all the services come through the main house? That wasn't well planned out!

I'm surprised the council hasn't insisted that it is a separate dwelling and charged council tax on it.

As others have said, you may need to rename the rooms in the annex and possibly make the kitchen less of a kitchen.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    eddddy wrote: »
    Does the annex have a kitchen? If so that is likely to be the problem.

Mortgage lenders don't like lending on properties with two kitchens, because of the potential to rent out part of the property.

Some people have solved the problem by removing the cooker from the second kitchen - and call it a laundry room or utility room.

Google 'Mortgage two kitchens' for lots of discussion about this.
    This.

Remove the cooker, fridge etc and put in TV and armchair instead.
  • G_M
    Mojisola wrote: »
    So the annex has it own kitchen and bathroom and a separate entrance but all the services come through the main house? That wasn't well planned out!

I'm surprised the council hasn't insisted that it is a separate dwelling and charged council tax on it.

As others have said, you may need to rename the rooms in the annex and possibly make the kitchen less of a kitchen.
    I have exactly the same set-up. It was built by the previous owners for an elderly parent. I've periodically let it out and it was the only way I could afford the mortgage in the early days.

Single council tax. Sssh.

(note to self - must make a note to my Executers that the kitchen should be removed before selling.......)
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    G_M wrote: »
    I have exactly the same set-up. It was built by the previous owners for an elderly parent. I've periodically let it out and it was the only way I could afford the mortgage in the early days.

I can't understand there not being a connecting door between the house and the annex.

That's how the ones I've seen have been laid out. If elderly parent is poorly, it's a pain having to go out into the street and back into the annex rather than nip through the connecting door.
  • G_M
    Mojisola wrote: »
    I can't understand there not being a connecting door between the house and the annex.

That's how the ones I've seen have been laid out. If elderly parent is poorly, it's a pain having to go out into the street and back into the annex rather than nip through the connecting door.
    As I did not build the annexe I can only guess.

Parent probobly wanted to retain independance and privacy. Perhaps parent was not poorly, it was just a convenience to live close together? I suspect these days Planners would impose stricter conditions.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    (note to self - must make a note to my Executers that the kitchen should be removed before selling.......)

Your head is on the block?:eek:
  • G_M
    xylophone wrote: »
    Your head is on the block?:eek:
    It will be if they find they can't sell the house!

Well spotted.

(sorry your thread seems to have got hijacked OP, but I think your query has been answered)
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Underneath the plaster in our 'store' is a doorway, complete with lintel. The blocks have been laid so that they can just be removed without major damage to the main wall. The room also has enough power points for a small kitchen and pipework/drains are there for a sink. The bathroom, currently an en-suite, is also arranged so it can accommodate a corridor without moving any sanitary fittings.

Hopefully, we shall never need to annex the potential annexe, but there's nothing like being prepared....
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,623 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Would it be feasible to have the annex and main house registered as two seperate dwellings?
    Then just sell them as two separate properties?
    Or, depending just how much you're wanting to downsize, you could then move into the annex and sell off the main house?

Many annexes were given pp on the condition that the annex and main dwelling were not to be sold separately.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Many thanks for your reply.
    Our reasons for downsizing are increasing age and decreasing agility! There's no possibility of linking the upper and lower parts of the property, nor of separating the services. We pay two council tax bills and removing the kitchen would make no difference as the apartment is accessed independently. As mentioned, we live in a popular seaside resort where our apartment would normally be used as a holiday let but we've lost several sales because mortgage providers have 'issues' with this type of property. It seems unfair that enthusiastic young buyers are prevented from buying a family home with additional income potential. We'd be grateful for ANY mortgage advice for this type of property.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure