• Joosh
    Joosh Posts: 107 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Ouch.

Looks like I'm homeless again!
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    you could looked for a room in shared accommodation elsewhere. You should then get some housing benefit and ESA (at least the assessment phase) Your girlfriend and her housemates will then go back to paying 1/3rd each so less for your girlfriend (if she is currently paying half) and more for the other two
  • BigAunty
    BigAunty Posts: 8,310 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Joosh wrote: »
    the housemates told me I needed to move in full time as it was getting unfair the amount of time I was staying there.

virtual strangers told you to make a major lifestyle decision and you complied...?

an alternative strategy was to keep on your own place and offer to contribute towards the energy bills there, for example. or ignore them.
  • Joosh wrote: »

my gf can't afford half the rent as she was originally paying a 3rd, but her housemates wont want to pay a 3rd each when I'm here for free, meaning my gf will be forced to pay 1/2 the rent if I'm to be here with no income. Otherwise my option is NFA again.

My point here is that if I cant pay the rent, my gf can't afford to keep me, as housemates are sharing equally, equal split of rent each regardless of room occupation.
    Regards,
    Joosh

Ah, I see. In that case you are correct you would be better off living in a different flatshare on your own and claiming income based ESA.
  • HB58
    HB58 Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    BigAunty wrote: »

an alternative strategy was to keep on your own place and offer to contribute towards the energy bills there, for example. or ignore them.

OP didn't have a place, he was NFA (no fixed abode).
  • Joosh
    BigAunty wrote: »
    virtual strangers told you to make a major lifestyle decision and you complied...?

I was there quite a lot due to my living situation. It was quite unfair on them and they weren't ok with just a monetary contribution, it was move in or not at all. Things were awkward and it wasn't good for anyone inc my girlfriend.
  • Joosh
    Jobseeeker wrote: »
    Ah, I see. In that case you are correct you would be better off living in a different flatshare on your own and claiming income based ESA.

Yeah I just looked into that. Is it possible for me to get a rental agreement while on ESA? As I wont get HB or CTRB until I have a rental agreement...
  • princessdon
    princessdon Posts: 6,902 Forumite
    You also need to consider that if you are on IR ESA and have been living with a partner this will need to be repaid as you weren't eligible.

Obviously CB ESA it won't apply.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Joosh wrote: »
    Yeah I just looked into that. Is it possible for me to get a rental agreement while on ESA? As I wont get HB or CTRB until I have a rental agreement...

you will need to find one that accepts housing benefit. As this is paid in arrears you will need to pay the first months rent upfront and probably a deposit too. Your council may run a deposit scheme if you enquire
  • Joosh
    You also need to consider that if you are on IR ESA and have been living with a partner this will need to be repaid as you weren't eligible.

Obviously CB ESA it won't apply.

I've not yet received my first payment since switching from JSA as there were some application forms etc that went awry but I've notified them of change of address etc and will likely have a meeting with them soon.

Thanks guys.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport