Clearing an IVA

Hi All,

I have looked though many forums and cannot find a straight answer to my question so I thought I would ask it outright.

I am 10 months into my IVA which is fairly sizeable. The total debt was calculated at £78000 which I am currently paying back at £750 per month.

My parents are due to come into a large sum of money and have offered to give me £100000 of the windfall. This is where I cant find a straight answer.

I have to declare the windfall as per the terms of my IVA, but can I just offer to pay the total balance ~£71000 to clear the IVA in full.

Most forum posts I have found are all about offering a percentage of the outstanding amount via a third party as a time limited full and final offer, but non address contacting my IVA provider and paying off the total remaining balance.

I understand its an unusual way of clearing an IVA, however I am due to receive my pension in two years time, and I dont want to enter my pension and immediately lose my lump sum to an ongoing IVA.

Regards and thanks for any advice

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hello and welcome to the forum.

There is no good reason that you can't approach your insolvency practitioner with a proposal to complete the IVA early and in full. You just need clarification from them of what the precise settlement figure would be and take it from there. Pending those discussions, it would be wise for your parents to hold fire on gifting you any money in the meantime.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Berniefc
    Berniefc Posts: 3 Newbie
    Hi I!!!8217;m looking for some advice I!!!8217;ve been in an IVA for 2 years and recently had a child which has had a significant impact on my life as you can imagine. When I started my IVA I was renting a room to make sure I could afford it but now I need to get my own place so that I can have my son on weekends this would mean my I couldn!!!8217;t keep up my payments to same the amount am paying currently which is 346 a month would this be a fair reason to offer early settlement as I have opportunity to loan the money off a family member who can get a loan for 9500 which would have a cheaper payments than my existing but would mean me taking a loan before getting it accepted I wouldn!!!8217;t tell my IP it was from a loan I!!!8217;d just say it was a gift. Would this be reasonable ?
  • mwarby
    mwarby Posts: 2,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    :A
    Berniefc wrote: »
    Hi I!!!8217;m looking for some advice I!!!8217;ve been in an IVA for 2 years and recently had a child which has had a significant impact on my life as you can imagine. When I started my IVA I was renting a room to make sure I could afford it but now I need to get my own place so that I can have my son on weekends this would mean my I couldn!!!8217;t keep up my payments to same the amount am paying currently which is 346 a month would this be a fair reason to offer early settlement as I have opportunity to loan the money off a family member who can get a loan for 9500 which would have a cheaper payments than my existing but would mean me taking a loan before getting it accepted I wouldn!!!8217;t tell my IP it was from a loan I!!!8217;d just say it was a gift. Would this be reasonable ?

Worth you and family member considering what would happen if circumstances change again. Your family member could be stuck with the loan (it wouldn't legally be your debt). Have your talked to your IVA company about the payment difficulties, they maybe able to propose a modification to lower your repayments
  • Berniefc
    they won!!!8217;t lower my payments I!!!8217;ve already asked seems like am stuck right now
  • mwarby
    mwarby Posts: 2,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Have you considered bankruptcy ?

The big plus being no new debt, and you can't fail it. If budget is really tight you may not get an IPA so could be free in a year

The big negative is it's 6 more years of poor credit
  • Berniefc
    I would consider bankruptcy but that will leave me no disposable money for 3 years where as Iva leaves me a little each month
  • I’m stumped by my Iva. Was supposed to end April and I was waiting for creditor meeting when I got my divorce settlement in June
    I let them know I now had money to complete
    The total debt at start of IVA was around £20k and so far I’d paid off £13k. The final figure I’ve been given is £17k which means the initial £20k of debt will now cost me £40k to settle and this is after the IVA was supposed to have ended. Surely 50% more than initial debt can’t be right?
  • Why would BR leave you with no disposable income?
  • I’m stumped by my Iva. Was supposed to end April and I was waiting for creditor meeting when I got my divorce settlement in June
    I let them know I now had money to complete
    The total debt at start of IVA was around £20k and so far I’d paid off £13k. The final figure I’ve been given is £17k which means the initial £20k of debt will now cost me £40k to settle and this is after the IVA was supposed to have ended. Surely 50% more than initial debt can’t be right?

the IP costs can be anywhere up to £10k, dependant on the IP. this is paid off first before your debts are paid, as per the IVA contract
    13k plus 17k = 30k... not sure where the 40k comes in?

so, you have paid £13k, this has cleared the costs and only a small amount so far to the creditors...
    but the £30k total (debt plus costs) does seem right
  • Gutted! As I assumed the IVA prevented lots of interest etc
    Yep the £40k was my tired brain last night 😂
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills