Best sub-£200 mobile

Options

Comments

• LONDON_SMOGGY
    LONDON_SMOGGY Posts: 91 Forumite
    edited 12 October 2016 at 5:09PM
    Options
    These chinese phones are there any language problems with them? Does everythign load up in chinese or will there be no issues whatsoever settign up to fully english? Also as it is not android I assume there will hardly be any apps for the phone? As you cant use google play store etc
  • LONDON_SMOGGY
    Options
    Wileyfox Swift - 16 GB - Sandstone Black - Unlocked, This is clearly the best and under £100 too bargain!
  • LONDON_SMOGGY
    Options
    I had both the moto g 2 and 3, after you install 10 apps the phone becomes pretty much unusuable as the internal memory is all taken up, everything just stops responding even after I've wiped the phone or constantly clear app caches and data. I even tried expanding it to 32gb with a memory card but hardly any apps can be moved across and the ones that do run even slower than off the internal memory! Shame because at the beginning it was a decent phone. I think it is pretty unacceptable these days to have 10 apps and your phoen to pretty much stop working.

Looks like this wileyfox one is now best for under £100 aswell. I dont think much will have changed on the moto g 4!
  • Atasas
    Atasas Posts: 753 Forumite
    Options
    These chinese phones are there any language problems with them? Does everythign load up in chinese or will there be no issues whatsoever settign up to fully english? Also as it is not android I assume there will hardly be any apps for the phone? As you cant use google play store etc
    They all (most) are android, they come with many languages preinstalled, you just need to set everything up and remove languages you dont use

Almost none are locked to anything

Google PlayStore is possible to install to most of them without any glitches and run all of the apps, as you would on any other Android phone .

Most of them allow simple SD card fitment with apps to be installed on either internal memory or SD card (moto's dont), ever so easy to manage load of files to be transfered to the M$ windows etc.

As ever, just look up as what brand and model is and only real concern is for the very particular model to be covering UK 4G (also 3G 1800; 2100 MHZ) frequencies.

all of that nonsense about Chinese branded phones not being SAME quality as big branded ones... I personally take as silly snobbishness, as I owned few and had 0 problems of the sort.

Also, VERY highly recommended to read up articles on PCworld and on GPSarena for all of the specifics of any phone you'd chose to buy.

under £200 those better models are near equal to £400-500 priced ones, that carry big names on them.

Same as PC (windows) world- name used to mean quality, but suddenly people learned that any brand is as valuable as tech specs of those products is.
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,065 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I dont think much will have changed on the moto g 4!

Well it has double the internal memory at 16GB and double the Ram to run the apps smoothly. I agree the old Moto g (8Gb) had only about 3.5Gb of useful memory (considering the operating system uses about 4.5 Gb) and was frustrating to use
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Atasas wrote: »

all of that nonsense about Chinese branded phones not being SAME quality as big branded ones... I personally take as silly snobbishness, as I owned few and had 0 problems of the sort.

As someone who has been involved in trying to retail these phones I can tell you that you don't really have a clue.

Just how many "non-brand" Chinese phones have you owned? And which makes?

There are some good Chinese brands but there are lots of really poor quality brands as well, and your list of recommendations includes plenty of the bad ones...
    ====
  • LONDON_SMOGGY
    Options
    So is there anything better than the wileyfox phone currently for sub £150?
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So is there anything better than the wileyfox phone currently for sub £150?

You could also look at the Honor phones, the 4X or 5X or its replacement (I think it's recently had or about to have a replacement)

Should be around 150 on Amazon or via their EU site, vmall.eu.
    ====
  • LONDON_SMOGGY
    Options
    So what would people go with the wileyfox or the xiaomi, both 2ghz processor with 16gb internal memory. Cant decide which is better?
  • LONDON_SMOGGY
    Options
    thanks for the suggestion but 8gb memory is really too small these dyas, and enough for about 5 apps!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure