Information wanted- losing child tax credits

trikidy
trikidy Posts: 289 Forumite
edited 20 June 2012 at 8:36PM in Tax credits & benefits for work
Hello, just wanted some information for a friend of mine.
She is a single parent on a low income of approx £16,000.
She has a son at University who is currently 19, she has been told that even though he is in full time education her child tax credit would be cut when he turns 19. The tax credit was about £2,500 - £3,000 a year, so such a substantial cut would make a difference.

Is there anything she can do as she doesn't think she will be able to cope with such a cut, are there any other forms of help?

Thanks

She currently works full time and was thinking that perhaps cutting down the hours could entitle her to other types of help.
SwagBucks Challenge: 402/849
Updated 31/08/2012
Joined 06/07/2012
Total: £40 Amazon Vouchers

Comments

• callmechar
    callmechar Posts: 627 Forumite
    Your friend should have lost her child tax credits already if her son is at Uni.
    Who can get Child Tax Credit

You can get Child Tax Credit if you are 16 or over and you are responsible for at least one child. This means a child under 16, or a young person up to the age of 20 who is in full-time education up to A level or equivalent, or on certain approved training courses. You may also get Child Tax Credit for a young person who has been accepted on one of these courses. You can also get Child Tax Credit for a young person aged under 18 who has registered with the Careers Service, if they have left school within the last 20 weeks.

If she has internet access suggest she go to https://www.turn2us.org.uk and do a benefit calculation.
  • In terms of benefits, she is now treated as a single person. Cutting her hours will definitely not get her more benefits!
  • trikidy
    In terms of benefits, she is now treated as a single person. Cutting her hours will definitely not get her more benefits!

Thanks for the reply, I will check tomorrow but I think she mentioned cutting down her hours using an "disability working allowance", because she has very bad asthma, chrones, eczema and has been in hospital twice the past two years due to stress from her job.

So by getting this and cutting down her hours she could effectively be getting the same wage with less hours.

Any help on this, thanks.
    Updated 31/08/2012
    Joined 06/07/2012
  • trikidy wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, I will check tomorrow but I think she mentioned cutting down her hours using an "disability working allowance", because she has very bad asthma, chrones, eczema and has been in hospital twice the past two years due to stress from her job.

So by getting this and cutting down her hours she could effectively be getting the same wage with less hours.

Any help on this, thanks.

There is a Disability Living Allowance, which none of those conditions would normally qualify for in an adult, or she may be entitled to the disability element of Working Tax Credits. Is she able to work the hours she does? I assume so, as she is doing so presently.
  • trikidy
    There is a Disability Living Allowance, which none of those conditions would normally qualify for in an adult, or she may be entitled to the disability element of Working Tax Credits. Is she able to work the hours she does? I assume so, as she is doing so presently.

Yes, however there has been new management the past 2 months and she has been put on shorter shifts but on more days, so she is not getting rest which is causing her stress.
    I think she used to do 4 days a week, 8 hours a day, but is now doing 6 hours for 6 days ( I know that doesn't add up but I don't know the specifics).
    Updated 31/08/2012
    Joined 06/07/2012
  • trikidy wrote: »
    Yes, however there has been new management the past 2 months and she has been put on shorter shifts but on more days, so she is not getting rest which is causing her stress.
    I think she used to do 4 days a week, 8 hours a day, but is now doing 6 hours for 6 days ( I know that doesn't add up but I don't know the specifics).

Sounds like she needs to look for a new job, not try to use benefits as a way out.
  • trikidy
    Sounds like she needs to look for a new job, not try to use benefits as a way out.

She has been looking for the past year and a half!
    I can assure you its not a way out, its a way of getting the best out of the systems in place to help.

Take home from salary is about £12k a year, £12-£13k, so with the child benefit would be take home £15k. Losing £3k equates to a 20% loss in income, that is alot to deal with when already struggling so any help is appreciated.
    Updated 31/08/2012
    Joined 06/07/2012
  • recoverydust
    recoverydust Posts: 525 Forumite
    Your friend could do well to post an soa on the debt free thread so she could get support in managing. She could also put her info into the benefits calculator on this site. I hope OT all sorts well
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure