PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Joints of beef in the slow cooker

Comments

• julietiff
    julietiff Posts: 747 Forumite
    If you are stewing meat for a pie or stew, try adding guiness, makes
    it lovely and rich ;)
  • markie37 wrote: »
    I have just bought a tesco slow cooker SC356.

The User guide says:
    LOW: Can also be used for heating up cooked food
    HIGH: The normal slow-cooking setting. Cooking time is around 7-8 hours
    Warm: keeps recently cooked foods warm

I have noticed people have said cook the joint on LOW setting for 8 hours, so I am a little confused as I'm not sure if my High is someone else's low if you see what i mean..? thanks, in advance for any advice on this.

PS Guide says mains power 174-207 watts (if this helps!)
    Sorry to dig up an old thread but its slow cooker time of year for me lol. I've bought some brisket & I'm wondering if I can cook it overnight. I'm not sure if it should be on low or high, don't want to over cook it. I've got the Tesco one too.
  • I quite often cook one of those small round beef joints from Aldi (cost £4.49 I think). I always add a large onion and whatever other veg I have especially carrots. I like to add 4 tablespoons red lentils and 1 tablespoon barley and whatever spices and herbs take my fancy. I set this off on auto usually before going to do a night shift so it is in the SC approx 13 hours. I not only get a good joint of beef but several portions of beef broth. I like the idea of getting lots of veg cooked for 'free' whilst cooking the meat.
  • Think I'm going to leave it on high overnight then. I'm going to use red wine in it, bet I wake up in the night starving, its going to smell delicious!
  • hi can you tell me if you should get a lot of liquid when you cook with the slow cooker when i use mine i put a small amount of water in the bottom with veg put the beef on top and cook on low for7-8 hours but when its cooked the slow cooker is full of stock

1/8/22 weight 15st 3lb
  • Yeah, that's what happens. It's all the stock coming out of the meat, and it's possibly pumped full with extra water.
    You can take the meat out, and put it in the oven for 10-20mins, if you want a brown appearance.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member # 593 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!

• So if doing joint of beef, just that in on its own, no water, nothing?
  • ragz_2
    ragz_2 Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I want to do my xmas beef like this due to lack of oven space. If I do it overnight on low in just a bnit of red wine will that cook it? Worried if I do it on high it will be overdone. Want to be able to take it out and slice, then make gravy and return to SC to heat through.
    June Grocery Challenge £493.33/£500 July £/£500
    2 adults, 3 teens
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • I'm new to all this but I just wanted to say a massive thank you to everyone who has posted advice about cooking roast beef in the slow cooker. I cooked a joint of topside today and it was amazing..... and the stock made great gravy (helped no doubt by the red wine!) x
  • As I work shifts I use my slow cooker to cook chilli, spag bog, curries as well as the normal casseroles. Just cook your chilli etc as normal in a saucepan and then put in the slow cooker and leave to cook whilst at work - by the time you come in its all done. (Son also works different hours so works out really well as he then only has to cook some rice, pasta etc and the main is done before he goes to work!). I used to work as a butcher in Tescos and we always recommended Brisket for slow cookers as its cheap and a lovely flavour when you give it the length of time.
    2010 has got to be better than the last two years!! :rotfl:

Weight loss to date: 3 Stone & 5lbs!! Weight loss this week: 2 lbs !!:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family