IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

PCN - Revised particular of claim 3 days before trial- Gladstone

Options
kaleemawan
kaleemawan Posts: 13 Forumite
edited 17 November 2017 at 6:01PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hi All
I received parking change notice few months ago, i prepared and submitted my defence using this forum. I have three days left in my trial date. today i received Particular of claim letter from GS which states that had a clerical mistake and sent me a duplicate charge and now asking to consider the amount as relevant charge.
Can someone please advise if Claimant can change particular or the claim 3 days before the trial.

Many Thanks

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 18 November 2017 at 1:45PM
    Options
    No they can't.

Take it with you and raise it as a preliminary matter in front of the Judge that this firm of Solicitors has tried to foist new POC at you just 3 days before the hearing and you do not accept this abuse of process and trust the Judge will be similarly unimpressed.

State there is no good reason to accept last minute altered POC, in the context of a professionally represented claimant. In Denton errors made by Solicitors under pressure of work were amongst examples cited by the court that were NOT good reasons to allow relief from sanctions where an issue is 'serious and significant' (as it is here).

Read these:

http://www.stjohnschambers.co.uk/dashboard/wp-content/uploads/Relief-from-Sanction.pdf

and

https://www.blackstonechambers.com/news/case-bpp_holdings_ltd/
    The Court of Appeal has held that the stricter approach to compliance with rules and directions made under the CPR, set out in Mitchell v News Group Newspapers Ltd [2014] 1 W.L.R. 795, and Denton v TH White Ltd [2014] 1 W.L.R. 3926, applies equally to other cases, e.g. in the tax tribunals. The Court of Appeal allowed BPP’s appeal from the Upper Tribunal, and thus debarred HMRC from further participation in the underlying VAT appeal in the First-tier tribunal, by reason of HMRC’s unjustified non-compliance with an order directing them to provide proper particulars of their case.

Transcript here:
    http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2016/121.html

Denton is here:

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2014/906.html

Take all that above, printed out, with you in your trial bundle of evidence and all paperwork you are relying on, as well as this latest 'letter' from Gladstones and a separate preliminary matters document too, to raise the other usual matter that the hired legal 'gun' who rocks up, has no Rights of Audience* and should be shown the door.

Seize on this conduct (the last minute altered POC, on top of everything else, the unfair charge, the woeful signs, the intimidating demands from the PPC, and anything else in your defence that exposes their conduct etc.,) to argue the entire claim and conduct of the Claimant/their solicitors was: 'wholly vexatious and unreasonable'.

As such, you can argue to claim additional (punitive, could be 10 x) costs for unreasonableness.

NOTE - it is your burden to show unreasonableness in detail, so have a document headed up like that as a crib sheet for yourself to walk the Judge through why you should get higher costs, as a deterrent and warning to Gladstones who put consumers through the mill every day in court and have no excuse for their conduct. You need to show unreasonableness in every aspect, start (the PCN) to finish (now).

A high 'costs schedule' example is here in post #41:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5662425&page=2

Email a copy of your own costs schedule (packed to the hilt with costs) to Gladstones tomorrow and tell them you do not accept their fatally late altered POC and it is your intention to seek costs, pursuant to CPR Rule 27.14(2)(g):

''costs can be awarded where a party behaves unreasonably''.

*have you seen that preliminary matters draft/template, posted by Lamilad a few times here? Do you understand what to argue at first, about the RoA of the legal rep, in the hope they are not allowed to speak? CAN BE DONE.

P.S. did you submit your own WS and evidence in time? Tell us more about the case, or please come back with a court report afterwards and fill us in blow by blow!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Loadsofchildren123
    Options
    Under Rule 17.1(2) they quite clearly need to apply for the court’s permission to amend, which requires a £255 fee. Your position is that they should apply in the proper way and pay the proper fee. Without a formal application the “new” PoC should be disregarded. If they are to apply (and pay the proper fee) then you will resist it on the basis of everything C-M says. It is simply too late.
    If the court allows the amendment you must be allowed to amend your defence and the case will have to be adjourned. Seek your costs of the adjournment (ie your costs of preparing for and attending the aborted hearing).
    Although a practising Solicitor, my posts here are NOT legal advice, but are personal opinion based on limited facts provided anonymously by forum users. I accept no liability for the accuracy of any such posts and users are advised that, if they wish to obtain formal legal advice specific to their case, they must seek instruct and pay a solicitor.
  • kaleemawan
    edited 19 November 2017 at 1:21AM
    Options
    Thanks CM and LOC,
    Thanks for the links, i will read about ROA and get back to you how to approach this.
    i have started to prepare final pack for my trial and there are few flaws which are quite obvious (I never received NTK and the document they submitted doesn't look legitimate (appeared as printed later). also their proof that they sent me the NTK doesn't look legitimate. They sent a screenshot of the database to proof they sent me this letter and the time field shows two different time formats which is not possible in a database.

Secondly, the reference number of the few letters doesn't match with the screenshot.
    NTK contains a different font and formats from other letters and my address on NTK is missing county name whereas all other letter contains county name - (if these letters were system driven how come all letter contains same address apart from NTK)

Finally, all other letter contains a postoffice bar code and when i decoded the barcode it shows my postcode apart from the NTK which is missing the post office barcode, instead reference no and my postcode with asterisk appeared before my name and address. this is contrary to all other letters.
    NTK letter head is different to notice of Liability not a major thing but doesn't look legitimate and second page of the NTK contains July 2017 date almost a year after the charge notice

Can i share my full pack including claimants defence and late particular of claim in the forum through dropbox.
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    You make VERY good points!
    and second page of the NTK contains July 2017 date almost a year after the charge notice
    Show us!
    Can i share my full pack including claimants defence and late particular of claim in the forum through dropbox.
    Yes.

This sounds like a false instrument and you should DEFINITELY make an effort to get the Judge to listen to you listing all of this evidence of unreasonableness, such that you should be awarded additional costs, pursuant to CPR Rule 27.14(2)(g) to send a message to the Claimant that this is wholly unacceptable.
  • blackmath
    Options
    If forged documents can actually be proven isn't that a criminal matter?
  • kaleemawan
    edited 19 November 2017 at 1:21AM
    Options
    *have you seen that preliminary matters draft/template, posted by Lamilad a few times here? Do you understand what to argue at first, about the RoA of the legal rep, in the hope they are not allowed to speak? CAN BE DONE.
    i couldn't find this template.i even tried "legalbeagle" website which Lamilad mentioned on a different tread. can you please post the link.

Link to dropbox for the Claimant WS and late POC
    dropbox.com/sh/x0n9w4brlbkxzja/AAAsZToG1A54yXKIhhwLV3jSa?dl=0

Please see WS page10 (Right at the top), Page 12 (screenshot of Database), When compare page 9 of the WS(NTK - which never posted to me) missing the unique reference that can be found in document "Letters received.pdf" on payment slip on page 1.
    Page 9 C WS NTK missing post office barcode which can be found on all letters sent me to me ("Letters received.pdf"). why NTK is different to other letters which i never received.
    Page 9 C WS box on the right hand side doesn't have any bold headings (e.g our ref no, date of this notice and all others as opposed to Notice of liability which is all bold). if they use system generated templates how can notice to keeper is different to Notice of liability even though both templates appear same.
    DRP letters in "Letters Received.pdf", bottom left contains a reference no which matches the screen shot but there is no reference on NTK (c WS page 9)
    All these points indicates the NTK was never sent to me unless C proves otherwise.
    Page 13 (mistake charged twice for the same ticket- admitted in response to my defence which i posted couple of days before the deadline ),
    Page 6 (WY Parking breach of their contract with land owner by charging £120 as appose to £90 maximum written in the contract - Point 3)
  • Lamilad
    Lamilad Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    i couldn't find this template.i even tried "legalbeagle" website which!Lamilad!mentioned on a different tread. can you please post the link.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/y3kxaj29ue8m2bs/preliminary%20matters.docx?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i7unpocs4h7wg5x/2%20-%20McShane%20v%20Lincoln.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7puv7zxo09c1muf/3%20-%20Ellis%20v%20Larson.pdf?dl=0

CM - could these be added to the NEWBIES thread?
  • kaleemawan
    Options
    plz advise, is it too late to send my cost claim to C and court? i cant remember if i ticked counter claim or not when i filled my Ack of Service or Defence? does this mean i cant claim the cost?
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    is it too late to send my cost claim to C and court?

No, I already told you to send it by email to Gladstones asap:
    Email a copy of your own costs schedule (packed to the hilt with costs) to Gladstones tomorrow and tell them you do not accept their fatally late altered POC and it is your intention to seek costs, pursuant to CPR Rule 27.14(2)(g):

''costs can be awarded where a party behaves unreasonably''.

i cant remember if i ticked counter claim or not when i filled my Ack of Service or Defence? does this mean i cant claim the cost?
    Counter-claims are NOTHING to do with claiming your costs. You have no counter-claim (you would know it because you would have paid £25 to lodge it).

Please read the NEWBIES thread post #2 about costs schedules and in particular the one by LoadsofChildren123 about puntive/additional costs for unreasonableness.

It is YOUR burden to prove and reel off all the reasons why the Claimant/their Solicitors' conduct has been wholly unreasonable and vexatious throughout. Make a bullet point list to take, if you win, clear your throat and say you wish to raise the point of additional costs pursuant to CPR Rule 27.14(2)(g).
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure