Add your feedback on energy supplier SSE

Comments

• kev2009
    kev2009 Posts: 1,039 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Update
    Got activation code, signed in has account but no opening meter reading, should it show one?

Looking at BG, it now has a elec final bill but says it maybe used to offset gas bill and if not thy will send me a cheque. So i worked out if they offsett my gas with what they owe me, they would still owe me £3.92, so guess i need to wait for the cheque.

No date mentioned though.

Kev
  • Archie_Jnr
    Archie_Jnr Posts: 12 Forumite
    edited 14 May 2017 at 1:05PM
    I've been with SSE for more than a year after switching in 2016 to what was a very cheap, paperless, economy 7 tariff. They took over from the last supplier quickly and without fuss and also had a pre-payment meter removed and replaced for a normal one without charge.

Their mobile site isn't quite as good as others as it often refuses my first reading submissions and their passwords only allow a limited set of characters. I've never been able to get any of their usage pages to work either.

They also calculate their bills quarterly (with me paying by monthly direct debit) without the option for a monthly calculation which is a little old fashioned. As a result, they've recently doubled my direct debit even though we didn't dramatically change our usage over the winter - shouldn't be a problem as we're moving soon.

Even though they're one of the big six, their customer service does it's job and I would use again.
  • Hi , I need advice. My partner has a ppm with Scottish hydro and due the passing of her mother she decided to come and live with me for a bit, returning back to her home now and then to check mail and such. Everything in the house was switched off At the mains to save electric being used and due to a 100 amp fuse going on fire 3 months ago , for safety reasons. Ref the fire they sent out an engineer and he had to replace the fuse and the four cables that go up into the ppm . I stood and held his torch while he completed all this. 2 weeks ago we went into the house and found a card for the meter reader saying he had been but no one was home. We left agin forgetting about it. On Thursday 18th may my girlfriend decided to go home for a few days to do some of her art. On Friday morning whilst I was on my way to hers she called frantically saying engineers had tried to break into her home. She had ran down the stairs and opened the door they said they had come to read the meter. In a daze she showed them where the meter was. I arrived there 10 mins later and two of them were at the meter which is in a small cupboard in the kitchen. They said they were all done but had to change the meter due to a time and date fault that's why they took so long. I asked them why they had tried to get in the the house. And they replied, they had a warrant to read the meter. I asked to see this immediately but it was in the van with the 3rd guy. Is it well I want to see it so go get it I replied. On looking at said warrant he wouldn't let go of it but it looked fishy to me, there was no headed paper and the name of the court was written in biro plus there was no court stamp. I asked where my girlfriends copy was and why this wasn't shown at the door. I was told she had to speak to the court fo a copy and never got an answer to my second question. Now after putting in a complaint to Scottish hydro they are now accusing my girlfriend of "tampering with the meter" and that's why the date and time was wrong and want her to pay nearly £1500 in costs £168 of which is electric because and I quote no money was put on the key so we were worried and got a safety warrant to gain access!!! Is this legal and what should we do? My girlfriend is in tatters because the only people that have been near that meter are their engineers, once after the fire and once to read the meter. Please help???
  • welshmoneylover
    welshmoneylover Posts: 3,324 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hammy5455 wrote: »
    Hi , I need advice. My partner has a ppm with Scottish hydro and due the passing of her mother she decided to come and live with me for a bit, returning back to her home now and then to check mail and such. Everything in the house was switched off At the mains to save electric being used and due to a 100 amp fuse going on fire 3 months ago , for safety reasons. Ref the fire they sent out an engineer and he had to replace the fuse and the four cables that go up into the ppm . I stood and held his torch while he completed all this. 2 weeks ago we went into the house and found a card for the meter reader saying he had been but no one was home. We left agin forgetting about it. On Thursday 18th may my girlfriend decided to go home for a few days to do some of her art. On Friday morning whilst I was on my way to hers she called frantically saying engineers had tried to break into her home. She had ran down the stairs and opened the door they said they had come to read the meter. In a daze she showed them where the meter was. I arrived there 10 mins later and two of them were at the meter which is in a small cupboard in the kitchen. They said they were all done but had to change the meter due to a time and date fault that's why they took so long. I asked them why they had tried to get in the the house. And they replied, they had a warrant to read the meter. I asked to see this immediately but it was in the van with the 3rd guy. Is it well I want to see it so go get it I replied. On looking at said warrant he wouldn't let go of it but it looked fishy to me, there was no headed paper and the name of the court was written in biro plus there was no court stamp. I asked where my girlfriends copy was and why this wasn't shown at the door. I was told she had to speak to the court fo a copy and never got an answer to my second question. Now after putting in a complaint to Scottish hydro they are now accusing my girlfriend of "tampering with the meter" and that's why the date and time was wrong and want her to pay nearly £1500 in costs £168 of which is electric because and I quote no money was put on the key so we were worried and got a safety warrant to gain access!!! Is this legal and what should we do? My girlfriend is in tatters because the only people that have been near that meter are their engineers, once after the fire and once to read the meter. Please help???

When did she last provide reading or top up the meter?

A warrant of entry isn't gained overnight and SH would have written to her on numerous occasions. Did she provide your address as a correspondence address?
    Sounds as if the revenue protection team were involved and yes a warrant is perfectly legal.
    Be happy, it's the greatest wealth :)
  • bendipa
    bendipa Posts: 175 Forumite
    SSE are a total clusterf****.

Two weeks ago I applied to switch from SSE to Ebico. The application seemed to proceed fine from Ebico's end. Then I get an email today from them saying SSE have declined the switch, claiming I owe them money despite having given SSE my final meter reading at the time of application.

I see SSE did not update my meter reading. When I tried today to give them my meter reading online again I then get an error saying there is something wrong with the reading. I then try to email SSE using the address I have always used before when communicating to give them my reading but the email bounces with 'unknown server address'. I then try to phone them but after 45 minutes gave up as the call still had not been answered and it was costing me money.

What does it take to communicate with these prats! Do I have to revert to snailmail?

Finally tried one last time and went back online to complete a complaints form. On the final page that seemed to work satisfactorily as I got a 'thank you for contacting us', but who knows whether anyone actually received it or if they did, even look at it, considering my submitted meter reading was ignored.

If nothing comes of this in 3 days I'll send OFGEM a letter.
  • SummerFun
    SummerFun Posts: 103 Forumite
    edited 17 August 2017 at 6:37PM
    bendipa wrote: »
    SSE are a total clusterf****.

Two weeks ago I applied to switch from SSE to Ebico. The application seemed to proceed fine from Ebico's end. Then I get an email today from them saying SSE have declined the switch, claiming I owe them money despite having given SSE my final meter reading at the time of application.

I see SSE did not update my meter reading. When I tried today to give them my meter reading online again I then get an error saying there is something wrong with the reading. I then try to email SSE using the address I have always used before when communicating to give them my reading but the email bounces with 'unknown server address'. I then try to phone them but after 45 minutes gave up as the call still had not been answered and it was costing me money.

What does it take to communicate with these prats! Do I have to revert to snailmail?

Finally tried one last time and went back online to complete a complaints form. On the final page that seemed to work satisfactorily as I got a 'thank you for contacting us', but who knows whether anyone actually received it or if they did, even look at it, considering my submitted meter reading was ignored.

If nothing comes of this in 3 days I'll send OFGEM a letter.

Simple question

Do you have a bill (or do they suggest one was produced) that demands payment that is more than 28 days old which has not been paid?

If not, you are not in debt to the supplier cannot legally prevent a switch on the basis of existing debt.

Ofgem won't give a tinkers; they are not interested in you or your problems..

You can take the matter to the ombudsman in 6 weeks time if the matter has not been satisfactorily resolved. (earlier if you can get a deadlock letter out of them, but you won't if there is no debt in existence)

Edit:
    Scrub all that, less than 2 weeks ago you said you were already switched to RHE
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=72942390&postcount=4

Confused.com! :cool:

It's make yer mind up time folks!!!
    And I mean that most sincerely...
  • bendipa
    bendipa Posts: 175 Forumite
    edited 17 August 2017 at 8:06PM
    Edit:
    Scrub all that, less than 2 weeks ago you said you were already switched to RHE
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=72942390&postcount=4

Confused.com! :cool:

It's make yer mind up time folks!!!
    And I mean that most sincerely...
    You're jumping the gun. That was to do with a different address with ongoing supplier Ebico. That's been sorted.

Current problem is a separate address where I have recently applied to join Ebico from SSE. They claim I have a small debt from over 6 weeks ago because of their estimate. I gave them a meter reading 2 weeks which means no debt.
  • Waryme
    Waryme Posts: 7 Forumite
    I was a very unhappy customer with SSE & therefore moved to Bristol Energy recently.

This month my phone bill was unusually large. So I check with my BB/Phone provider, SkyTalk, (5* for me) & discover that one single call to SSE (regarding changeover & problems that ensued) cost me £12!

On an 0345 number & the call duration was 2 hours 33mins 55 seconds, believe it or not. I was on hold for a significant part of this call, while the 'Customer Advisor' consulted others... not knowing it was costing me 30ppm.

I've been with SkyTalk for 2 years & during that time my total phone charges are less than £12. I'm a pensioner on a very limited income & use it sparingly, so you may imagine my consternation on seeing the details of my phone bill for one call to SSE.

Basic facts here, but I'd like all on MSE to know the actual cost of calls to most of SSEs online & advertised numbers.

Had I known it cost 30ppm to wait for ages in a queue I'd never have called them, ever. (I signed up originally with Ebico who 'folded' after 2 months & I was lumbered with SSE)

I just called SSE to complain about it & they tell me that they will reduce my final bill by £13. Very nice of them, but there is still something seriously wrong here I believe.

I thought I was wary... Obviously not wary enough: (

Caveat Emptor.
  • FullForce
    FullForce Posts: 177 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Waryme wrote: »
    I was a very unhappy customer with SSE & therefore moved to Bristol Energy recently.

This month my phone bill was unusually large. So I check with my BB/Phone provider, SkyTalk, (5* for me) & discover that one single call to SSE (regarding changeover & problems that ensued) cost me £12!

On an 0345 number & the call duration was 2 hours 33mins 55 seconds, believe it or not. I was on hold for a significant part of this call, while the 'Customer Advisor' consulted others... not knowing it was costing me 30ppm.

I've been with SkyTalk for 2 years & during that time my total phone charges are less than £12. I'm a pensioner on a very limited income & use it sparingly, so you may imagine my consternation on seeing the details of my phone bill for one call to SSE.

Basic facts here, but I'd like all on MSE to know the actual cost of calls to most of SSEs online & advertised numbers.

Had I known it cost 30ppm to wait for ages in a queue I'd never have called them, ever. (I signed up originally with Ebico who 'folded' after 2 months & I was lumbered with SSE)

I just called SSE to complain about it & they tell me that they will reduce my final bill by £13. Very nice of them, but there is still something seriously wrong here I believe.

I thought I was wary... Obviously not wary enough: (

Caveat Emptor.

You appear to be whinging about the wrong company.

Your issue is with Sky Talk if they have charged you 30ppm for a call to an 0345 number :eek:

Caveat Emptor, indeed! :cool:
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 June 2018 at 3:24PM
    Today's switch request online from SP toSSE.
    Initial points.
    A little more expensive quote Eco7 Electricity.
    Decided to request switch anyway for 5K Nectar points.
    Echat advisors very accurate with yet to be announced WHD 2018/2019 criterea.
    Welcome e-mail yet to be received.
    Though I found by trying to log on SSE.com I have an account number.
    Early switch concern though very early days-online shows quarterly bills whereas I want monthly.
    Note upto 30 days switch, maybe my switch will be painless in financial terms.
    SP were fantastic since 2003 across 2 property's, though thought I give switching a try for 12 months or more.
    Update -bills are quarterly and paid monthly -echat advisor again very helpful+accurate .
    Replenished CRA Reports.2015 Zoe i nav -67-131 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback