PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Living alone

Comments

• G_M wrote: »
    No one has asked: how old are you?

Do you have a girl/boyfriend or are you single?
    Are you a self-sufficient person? Emotionally? Financially?
    Can you cook? Clean? Iron (if required)? Shop?
    Are you good with money?

Where the answers are no, there may be challanges, but meeting those challanges can be a good thing.....

I'm 28 (I know how have I survived this long at home?! Trust me it hasn't been without its dramas)
    I have a boyfriend but he's working away at the mo
    Yes I am self sufficient 👍
    Yes yes and yes. Yep.
    Very good with money :)
  • Hermia wrote: »
    It would help if you could say what aspect of living alone is worrying you otherwise it is hard to know what sort of tips you want. Are you worried about being in charge of the house? Crime/security? Loneliness? Will you have friends nearby?

I would definitely take this opportunity even if you decide you want to go back to your family afterwards. Getting used to being on your own is a good idea as you never know what will happen in the future. Having a practice run might really help you one day. I am currently watching a 60 year old colleague pretty much have a mental breakdown at the fact she is now having to live alone for the first time. I am sure she could have adapted more if she had tried this 30 years ago.

I love living on my own. I don't think it is better/worse than living with others. It just has different pros and cons.

I think it's the loneliness and security. The flats very secure but just having never done it before it's a bit scary. I'm quite introverted and don't have tonnes of friends, a lot have moved away. I'm quite used to my own company but still can get a bit lonely but I'm hoping that'll make me get out and do more.
  • I'm 27 and lived alone for 2 years...

Living alone does mean you won't have to worry about what you look like / what you're wearing / can walk around the flat naked if you want!
    No nagging that the dishes have been soaking for a whole hour without being done.
    No 'where have you been/who you been out with.
    ..'
    Or maybe that was just my parents

There's always sites like this or others depending on your interests to talk to people or just feel like it's not only you!
    Local groups for your interests mean you can meet new friends and then there is new people to go out for a drink with etc

Personally, if it wasn't for work sometimes I'd happily go weeks not seeing anyone though I do have a mate sneak over everything week for dinner!
    Security wise. Just always remember to double lock your door of a night.
  • I think it's the loneliness and security. The flats very secure but just having never done it before it's a bit scary. I'm quite introverted and don't have tonnes of friends, a lot have moved away. I'm quite used to my own company but still can get a bit lonely but I'm hoping that'll make me get out and do more.

- You do have to make the effort to "get out and about" more when living on your own. Living somewhere like London - then that should mean lots of younger people also doing the same - which is a positive. You will learn to "fake it till you make it" re coming over as confident etc etc.

- Good that the security of the flat is good. As a young woman living on your own that is important. If you are also attractive = it's even more important. That is voice of experience time:mad::(:mad:. Any gaps in security - ask the owner if you can (at your own expense) enhance the security. I'm less concerned than I was - now I'm no longer young and attractive. If I'd known then what I know now - I would have been a sight more concerned than I was...
  • No nagging that the dishes have been soaking for a whole hour without being done.
    ..'

No, that was my ex too! ;)
  • gingercordial
    gingercordial Posts: 1,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You'll have to become more self-reliant and organised. Nobody else to remember to pick up some milk or loo roll on the way home when you've run out!

In particular keep a well-stocked medicine cabinet. If you wake up with a sore throat and streaming nose you won't have anyone to beg to go and buy you tissues. Best to keep some lemsip and so forth on hand so at least you can make yourself feel a little bit better before dragging yourself out of the house.
  • You'll have to become more self-reliant and organised. Nobody else to remember to pick up some milk or loo roll on the way home when you've run out!

In particular keep a well-stocked medicine cabinet. If you wake up with a sore throat and streaming nose you won't have anyone to beg to go and buy you tissues. Best to keep some lemsip and so forth on hand so at least you can make yourself feel a little bit better before dragging yourself out of the house.

Good point - re well-organised.

Personally - I tend to keep a (regularly updated) list in my handbag always of things I need to buy/do in town.
  • I'm 27 and lived alone for 2 years...

Living alone does mean you won't have to worry about what you look like / what you're wearing / can walk around the flat naked if you want!
    No nagging that the dishes have been soaking for a whole hour without being done.
    ..'

Nope that's my parents too!! I feel your pain!
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,267 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I lived alone in London on and off for a number of years in my 20s - 40s with the occasional flat mate/husband in between. I loved it because, as already said, it brings a great deal of independence. There were a lot of singles groups around back then (I met my current partner 20 years ago ;)) and evening classes in every imaginable subject.

I think everyone should experience living alone at least once in their life.

As you have a partner have you considered getting somewhere together? You would still have your independence as he is away a lot but the added security of having someone around plus it would be cheaper :D

Do you like cats? They make great companions and are suitable for having in a flat.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,208 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You don't say how far the flat is from your parents' house. If it's fairly local you will still have friends living nearby. If it's miles away it could be more isolating.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure