Still waiting for flight cancellation refund after 8 months - advice?

Last July I was due to take a flight that I booked through STA Travel but was with Ethiopian Airlines. It got cancelled and instead of rearranging it I opted for a full refund and rearranged travel myself as I'd already paid for accommodation.

Eight months later still no refund in sight. I contact STA regularly only to get the exact same response - "we are still waiting for the money from Ethiopian Airlines and will chase it up and let you know how we get on" and they never do let me know.

Can someone tell me what to do here? I'm unsure how long I'm supposed to wait and if there are any actions I should take.

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    you could call Ethiopian and confirm that STA requested a refund from them and whether they have paid it
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Section 75 claim if you've paid by credit card.

MCOL if not.
  • Thanks for replies.
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    you could call Ethiopian and confirm that STA requested a refund from them and whether they have paid it
    I just rang Ethiopian and asking about it. To be totally honest I couldn't understand what she was saying very well, but I did gather that she told me it was nothing to do with them and I need to contact the agent instead of them. So ???? hmm.
    Section 75 claim if you've paid by credit card.

MCOL if not.
    Unfortunately I paid by debit card - thanks for mentioning MCOL. I've never heard of it. Does it still work for overseas companies?

I feel really confused now because STA tell me that they are waiting to receive the money back from Ethiopian and Ethiopian told me to ask the agent as it's nothing to do with them. I'm not sure who I should be targeting right now.

Anyway I rang STA back but their systems are down so they can't look up my case at the moment and are "calling me back"...which they won't. They never do.
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Thanks for replies.
    I just rang Ethiopian and asking about it. To be totally honest I couldn't understand what she was saying very well, but I did gather that she told me it was nothing to do with them and I need to contact the agent instead of them. So ???? hmm.

Unfortunately I paid by debit card - thanks for mentioning MCOL. I've never heard of it. Does it still work for overseas companies?

I feel really confused now because STA tell me that they are waiting to receive the money back from Ethiopian and Ethiopian told me to ask the agent as it's nothing to do with them. I'm not sure who I should be targeting right now.

Anyway I rang STA back but their systems are down so they can't look up my case at the moment and are "calling me back"...which they won't. They never do.

Possibly look at Flyertalk to see if ET are slow payers.

My daughter had to wait 9 months to get a refund from BA

Personally I'd be upping the pressure on STA as they are the handlers.
  • blindman wrote: »
    Possibly look at Flyertalk to see if ET are slow payers.

My daughter had to wait 9 months to get a refund from BA

Personally I'd be upping the pressure on STA as they are the handlers.

Thanks for your reply.

I just received an email response back from STA from last week who have said after talking to a manager they will refund me as a gesture of good will because the airline are taking so long!

Strange hearing your daughter's refund took 9 months - it is worth knowing. When I googled it it looked strange for it to take longer than 3, and the manager in my local STA store said she hadn't heard of longer than 6, hence my frustration really.

Thanks for the forum link anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport