PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

First Time Renting - any advice appreciated

Options
Hi Guys

I am in the process of selling my home and going to do rented for two years before I move in with my partner 100 miles away from where i live.

I will have six months rent to pay upfront and have two cats which ideally I want to take with me.

Can anyone give me some tips on what to expect, look for and whether rents are negotiable. As havn't got a clue where to start.

thank you you wonderful people you.:D:eek:

Comments

• csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 13 March 2017 at 3:40PM
    Options
    avoid gumtree and never wire deposits unless you know the person

Look at the sticky:

tenant's guide to renting

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=937335
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • wjr4
    wjr4 Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    pbsmiles wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I am in the process of selling my home and going to do rented for two years before I move in with my partner 100 miles away from where i live.

I will have six months rent to pay upfront and have two cats which ideally I want to take with me.

Can anyone give me some tips on what to expect, look for and whether rents are negotiable. As havn't got a clue where to start.

thank you you wonderful people you.:D:eek:

Hello :)
    Have they asked for 6 months rent in advance? Usually it's only 6 weeks (may be different if you have cats though - I've never had pets when renting).
    As far as I'm aware, the rent paid where I live is non-negotiable as somebody else will pay it if you are not willing to!
    The main piece of advice I will give is take photos of everything when you move in & check the inventory is accurate! I used to take photos of my meter readings every month (check the one on the inventory is correct as I previously nearly paid someone else's bill - this was my first rental place & I was naive!).
    If they ask you to 'professionally clean' on check out, just do it yourself. I used an oven cleaner from Home Bargains which cost about a fiver compared to what I was quoted via a cleaning company!
    Good luck :)
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and should not be seen as financial advice.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    rjw4 wrote: »
    Hello :)
    Have they asked for 6 months rent in advance? Usually it's only 6 weeks (may be different if you have cats though - I've never had pets when renting).
    As far as I'm aware, the rent paid where I live is non-negotiable as somebody else will pay it if you are not willing to!
    The main piece of advice I will give is take photos of everything when you move in & check the inventory is accurate! I used to take photos of my meter readings every month (check the one on the inventory is correct as I previously nearly paid someone else's bill - this was my first rental place & I was naive!).
    If they ask you to 'professionally clean' on check out, just do it yourself. I used an oven cleaner from Home Bargains which cost about a fiver compared to what I was quoted via a cleaning company!
    Good luck :)
    - Where is it usual to be 6 weeks?!
  • justme111
    justme111 Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    When looking at properties watch out for estate agents' endless list of charges - those may be a factor in choosing which property you would go for.
    "No pets" clause is often negotiable.
    Ask around, someone may know someone who has a house to rent to avoid dealing with agencies.
    When fixed term finishes you do not have to sign another contract and pay money for "renewal" as it often suggested by agencies unless landlord specifically insists on it .
    The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers usually to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
    Often people seem to use this word mistakenly where "quandary" would fit better.
  • wjr4
    wjr4 Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    - Where is it usual to be 6 weeks?!
    Every property I've rented has been 6 weeks, same with both of my sisters.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and should not be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure