Rehousing cats temporarily when you already own one ?

Options
My BIL is having major house renovations and has asked if we could home his 2 cats for a couple of weeks. We already have a cat who is very territorial, no cats can get in our garden and he had the run of the house.

Would it be unfair on our cat to agree to house 2 others even temporarily ! One of the other cats is extremely nervous anyway although both are house trained. I don't think I would risk letting them outside in case they got lost.

What do you think ? Is it doable ? I want to help out if I can .

Comments

• Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Can you fit a stair gate (or similar) so the 2 visitors are kept upstairs and your own boy has the run of the downstairs?

You may have to fit gates top and bottom, in order to create a 'no-cat's land'.
  • Artytarty
    Artytarty Posts: 2,642 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I think it's only possible under the circumstances if you can dedicate a room to them. I doubt a stair gate would stop any cat I've had.
    Agree about not letting them out and as it's for a relatively shop rt period of time, I'd keep them in.
    I've just given a new home to my sons cat and my older cat makes his life hard in the garden l stalking him menacingly.so I let them out separately.
    Funnily enough, it's not quite so bad in the house but I must say it's pretty stressful all round.
    Good luck whatever you decide!
    Norn Iron Club member 473
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I think it would be very tricky, and stressful for all three cats.

You could take them and allocate one room to them. Ideally have an 'air lock so that there are 2 doors between the room they are in,and ones that your own cat can access (e.g. have the visitors in a spare bedroom with the door closed, and have your's limited to the garden and downstairs rooms but with a door shut between him/her and the stairs.

That way, there is less change of the cats swearing at each other under the door, plus if one gets past you you can still avoid having them meet up.

Be aware that you may find that if the visitors are stressed, they may pee where they shouldn't.

If you do take them, make sure that they have at least 2, and preferably 3, litter trays so they don't have to share.

Your cat may pee in the house to mark his territory

Your BIL may be better off putting his cats to a cattery. It will still be stressful for his cats, but no more so than coming to your house, and it will be much less stressful for you or your cat.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    PS - if you do take them, then a 'feliway' dissuser (or 2) may help - you can plug them in and they give of something (cat pheremones?) which are supposed to help reduce stress, so may make life easier for the cats.

making sure that the visitors have blankets or beds from home which small familiar, and things they can hide in / under will also help them.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldn't do it myself. It's stressful enough introducing a new kitten if you have adult cats. And they seem to have some tolerance for kittens.
    Likely to upset your own cat and the temporary "visitors" i'd have thought.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,278 Forumite
    Options
    Best thing is to put them in a cattery. I have done this a few times and they find it a bit less stressful than in a strange house with other cats. Homing a cat temporarily like this never usually a good idea
  • Mrs_Optimist
    Mrs_Optimist Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    Options
    Mmm plenty to think about and some very useful suggestions.

Our cat loves being up high so a stair gate wouldn't deter him, he also likes to sleep in the bath - not interested in bedrooms. I hadn't thought about the peeing if stressed either.

I think it will have to be a no-go, as much as I would like to help out.THANKS FOR ALL REPLIES.
  • no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I agree with - Murphybear - a Cattery would be best, it is secure, should be able to have a double size unit for more than one. As long as their vaccinations are up to date should be a problem.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Could someone else with no cats take them? If not a friend or family member maybe a cat sitting service? I think it would be really stressful for all 3 animals and for you if you have to keep them separate. They might well mess in inappropriate places too.
  • paddypaws101
    paddypaws101 Posts: 2,093 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you could keep the visitors completely separate in a bedroom I think it would be ok for a couple of weeks but I would never try and mix the 2 households in this kind of scenario.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure