Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Tui/Thomson ONLY

Comments

• PaulH40
    PaulH40 Posts: 30 Forumite
    edited 12 June 2017 at 1:27PM
    I just arrived back from Orlando in what can only be described as the flight from hell. We originally arrived at the airport for our 5.30pm local time flight on Friday a 3pm. We were greeted by a Thomson rep telling us no flight today due to Manchester bomb scare. Which quickly changed to technical fault as we were ushered into a room before being bussed off to a hotel.

At the hotel we were told that the flight would be some time the next day to be confirmed. It was no long before the truth why the flight had been delayed came out http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/thomson-dreamliner-forced-make-emergency-13163067
    We know for a fact that the plane should have set off at 11am UK time because that was when we left 2 weeks earlier and that this would have brought people in from Manchester and us back out. We were given letters that said due to security issue and technical issues. This was a lie because the security issue happened long after the flight was due to leave and that passengers stranded in Manchester could not leave due to the plane requiring urgent repairs.

We were told the next day that we would not be flying on today and we were booked to fly Sunday morning at 9am. Later that day the flight was then moved to 11am. Later that day one of the passengers had found on the Sanford website that the flight was further delayed until 12.30pm. We were told were told that this was not true and we were still flying at 11am and the plan was to give us a grab and go breakfast and bus us out at 7am.

Having then woke up at 6am and gone for the grab and go breakfast consisting of an apple a cinnamon bun and a sunny D with E's than a 1990's raver on a Saturday night. More passengers questioned the whether the flight was going to leave at 11am and not 12.30 as per official Sanford airport website. We were again lied to and told it would be 11am.

Having then being dumped at the airport at 7.30am we were left to find out the flight had been delayed until 12.30. At this point myself and other passengers tried to ask to speak to a Thomson rep. Unsurprisingly they had all gone home and they were not answering telephone calls or social media. The airport could do nothing due to the 4 hour delay rule. So we were pretty much helpless some had nothing at all it was a disgusting act from Thomson who just wanted us out of the hotel and not costing them any more money.

Finally at 11.30 the captain and crew arrived. The captain gave us the company line came from the pilot about bomb scares (lie suspect package), technical fault (yep the engine nearly set on fire and plane was still in Manchester) the flight crews having to go home etc. We were then told from our Manchester counter parts via social media that the delayed Friday flight went out on much later that day and that and old lush who had got a little carried away with herself in the bar. The staff had issues containing her and then passengers witnessed an American Airlines style arrest with the old lush having her head smashed against the tarmac in Orlando by the Feds. So it was obvious that the staff been given time off to recover from the ordeal suffered coming back over.

We finally arrived back in Manchester 44 hours late with 2 letters one blaming the Manchester bomb hoax and the mention of a technical fault given to us in Orlando The other handed out at Manchester Airport directing us to our travel insurance.

As you can imagine I am pretty angry and fed up with Thomson right now . My question is can I claim off both travel insurance and Thomson? I have checked my travel insurance and its maximum of £1000 per person compared to the 600 euro per person from the airline compensation. My question is do I get 2 bites at the cherry.

1 Claim from travel insurance and airline?

2. Can I claim out of pocket expense from the airline?
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Welcome to the forum.
    Perhaps you need some more sleep and re-write your very confusing post. I've read it twice and really can't make sense of it.
    We need the facts, dates times, flights etc And the reasons given and the actual reasons for the delay.
    And download Vauban's guide for much useful information.
    Thanks
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • PaulH40
    PaulH40 Posts: 30 Forumite
    edited 12 June 2017 at 1:50PM
    JPears wrote: »
    Welcome to the forum.
    Perhaps you need some more sleep and re-write your very confusing post. I've read it twice and really can't make sense of it.
    We need the facts, dates times, flights etc And the reasons given and the actual reasons for the delay.
    And download Vauban's guide for much useful information.
    Thanks

Thanks just edited hope that this makes more sense.

Can you direct me to Vauban's guide please.
  • JPears
    Google it. We're not allowed to put links in sigs etc (silly forum rules)
    ;)

• Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Just Google Vaubans Guide
  • JPears
    From your post, it would appear that the main and importantly intial delay was caused by the engine issues on the previous but one flight, so a significant knock on effect.
    So you should be able to claim the compensation under reg 261/2004. The bomb scares, IMHO are a red herring thrown into to dissuade you from claiming.
    You can claim both compensation and from your insurance, if it covers it. They are separate items, unconnected other than by the effect ie delay.
    However I wouldn't let either party know about the other as they may use it as an excuse to wriggle out.

• The_Racer
    The_Racer Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    So after starting legal proceedings in November 2016 for flight delay in July 2016 after getting months of fob off, Thomsons have finally e-mailed me today:

"I have been handed the Judgement which has been filed in your favour and on behalf of the Airline would like to settle this claim."

It has asked for bank details and states will settle within days.

My main piece of advice is download Vaubans guide and stick to it exactly, it will take time but you will get there in the end.

I personally think its an absolute disgrace the way Thomsons have behaved in this case but the more barriers they put up the more determined it made me to continue.
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:
  • I submitted a claim for an 8 hour delay to Resolver in mid-April, I escalated it last week as the 56 days had elapsed and I've heard nothing back at all. Any advice of what to do next as there doesn't seem to be a great deal of info on Resolver as to what to do if you have no response?
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Gdraft4257 wrote: »
    I submitted a claim for an 8 hour delay to Resolver in mid-April, I escalated it last week as the 56 days had elapsed and I've heard nothing back at all. Any advice of what to do next as there doesn't seem to be a great deal of info on Resolver as to what to do if you have no response?

Read what the Racer did (just two posts above yours)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback