Flavel Arundal Mk2 marks on glass in door

Have recently had a Flavel Arundal mk2 multi fuel installed which we are very pleased with. Our only 'gripe' is that the glass in the door has to be cleaned every day as it stains very badly. Have tried leaving the top control fully open but it made no difference. Have tried using just wood or just smokeless coal and a mixture of both but the end result is the same. Its not just a light film either. It takes some heavy duty scrubbing to get it off. Any suggestions please.

Comments

• firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    Sounds to me as though you are not burning the stove hot enough.
    Have you got a stove pipe thermometer ??
    If not get one they are cheap enough.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Stove-Pipe-Thermometer-Magnetic-Temperature-Monitor-Coal-Log-Wood-Burning-/141765195650?hash=item2101dd3782:g:9JQAAOSwd0BVq13u
    HTH
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    The first thing I notice is that there are no owner reviews of this stove on the What Stove? site.

The second thing I notice is that it costs less than half the price I paid for my stove.

I paid double the amount you did because of reviews and the past performance of stoves from a particular manufacturer. I'd have been a fool to do this if I didn't think there was a significant gain to be had. Like you, I struggled to keep the glass clean on the stove I inherited with the house.

So far, I've cleaned the glass just once on my stove, which has been in constant use since December. That was just a quick wipe with an old dishcloth.

What was it that drew you to this particular stove?

I can only suggest keeping the door ajar whilst it gets up to temperature. That helped a bit with my old stove, which didn't have any effective air wash. Maybe yours doesn't; the two adverts for it that I read didn't mention airwash.
  • patgc
    patgc Posts: 427 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Ok, will get one of those and see how we are burning. Thanks
  • patgc
    Knowing nothing about wood burning stoves, I tried to do some research on the net, reading various forums etc. There were lots of comments about What Stove saying don't take too much notice unless there are lots of bad reviews for a particular brand.
    I chose Flavel as they are a UK company, stove manufactured in UK, steel body, C.I door. Nice plain design. My Hetas installer said it looked to be good for what I needed. Its not going to be used constantly, really just a nice feature and adds that extra heat when its really cold.
    Didnt even think about the airwash as presumed wrongly I guess that this was a normal part of any stove.
    Can you suggest which cleaner I should use to get this film off the glass. Have tried the usual household stuff but its still difficult.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    patgc wrote: »
    Knowing nothing about wood burning stoves, I tried to do some research on the net, reading various forums etc. There were lots of comments about What Stove saying don't take too much notice unless there are lots of bad reviews for a particular brand.
    I chose Flavel as they are a UK company, stove manufactured in UK,
    I agree that What Stove often has widely varying reviews for the same stove. That's probably because they're installed by different people in very different houses, all with potentially different flues.

Although it's not like cars or washing machines when it comes to performance, even in What Stove? performance patterns do emerge.

They don't have any reviews for your stove, though. Buying something very new is always going to be a risk. I looked at a prettier stove before buying mine, but I decided against it as it was so new. I may have been wrong though, because it's had some good reviews since!

Flavel are part of a much larger group called BFM. They make a play on being British, but that's not to say that the castings aren't made somewhere else, like China. There's nothing wrong with that if the quality control is there.

Flavel are well-known for their gas fires. I had one in my last house and it was great, but they may not have a track record for making good multi or wood stoves. That's what anyone ought to be looking for when doing research.

As for cleaning glass, I always found wet newspaper covered in fire ash was as good as anything, if rather messy.
  • thozza
    thozza Posts: 304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    For cleaning our stove glass we use HG Stove Glass Cleaner, not the cheapest but very effective, it is caustic so don't get it on your hands/furniture/carpet etc.
  • patgc
    Many thanks. Was looking at that online yesterday, or maybe the Victas one. They both have quite good reviews.
  • Greenfires
    Greenfires Posts: 635 Forumite
    Damp paper towel dipped in wood ash is very effective. It produces an alkali solution which is basically what all the stove glass cleaners rely on to remove tar staining etc. Note - only EVER use this method if you've only been burning wood. Ash from smokeless fuel is very abrasive and will scratch the glass. If you're determined that it needs to cost you some money, then the Calfire glass cleaner in a spray bottle is very good - I used to use it daily as a chimney sweep. I was never very impressed with the aerosol foam cleaners so maybe avoid them.

As far as stove review sites go - worth remembering that many of the people actually leaving reviews will only have experience of one stove - the one they're reviewing! Without a bunch of other stoves under their belt - it's hard to give a useful review.
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    I just use a damp cloth........very MSE.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,316 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I've tried vinegar and wood ash, which is supposed to be an old recipe for cleaning stove glass. It works eventually, but is a lot of effort.

I'd put in another recommendation for the HG stove glass cleaner. Nasty corrosive stuff (wear rubber gloves), but eats through baked-on brown gunk remarkably quickly.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure