The All New MSE Running Club.

Comments

• cnoelj
    cnoelj Posts: 29,218 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Hi whizzybee.

I really understand that problem with nutrition and I get that really sick feeling at times with the longer runs. Consider just going for it and experimenting. Use your runs to practice taking food on board whilst you run. I prefer natural foods like bananas rather than those manufactured energy bars and drinks that are marketed. Too much sugar which in turn impacts on your hydration. Perhaps this is something we can all look at together and share what works best individually. I know what works for one will not necessarily work for all.
    “The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but your thoughts about it.” Eckhart Tolle
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The energy tabs work better than the energy drinks. At times I want something that isn't sweet and just has a hint of flavour.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • Another parkrunner here! 91 completed... can you tell I am aiming for my 100 tshirt now, but apart from the 5k every Saturday I do nothing in between. Need to re-find some motivation to get out and about in the week or maybe a run/ race in the coming months... Maybe Septembers wolf run... oh the decisions... What events do you all have lined up that are 10k or less... :)
    :beer:Member of Mortgage free in three. :beer:
    55. littlemonkeywolf. Reduce my mortgage
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    London 10,000 for me at the end of May.

I received an email yesterday from the Bournemouth Marathon Festival. (BMF) They informed me there's "only" 22 weeks to go until my half.

Question for more experienced runners:
    I've looked at various half marathon training plans. Some say to run for xx minutes and others say xx distance. I know we're all different; but is it better to run by time or distance?
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • cnoelj
    Indie_Kid wrote: »
    London 10,000 for me at the end of May.

I received an email yesterday from the Bournemouth Marathon Festival. (BMF) They informed me there's "only" 22 weeks to go until my half.

Question for more experienced runners:
    I've looked at various half marathon training plans. Some say to run for xx minutes and others say xx distance. I know we're all different; but is it better to run by time or distance?

I would go for distance personally if I had a particular event in mind. And to keep an eye on the time I achieved it in to give me an indication of my pace per km or mile. But as you say - whatever works best for you and it is experience which will determine that.
    “The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but your thoughts about it.” Eckhart Tolle
  • pablakeman
    pablakeman Posts: 291 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Ran 6.8km yesterday (With 230 ft elevation in last km) so was happy with that. Time was 39 minutes but not looking at time at the moment, just want to get endurance up.

Will probably go for a run tomorrow or Weds now. I also have a swimming voucher (payasugym free credit) so want to use that soon.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • cnoelj
    Just been on another run in the park. I am noticing my tendency to focus on how much I have to do. What feels better is to focus on, and to celebrate how far I have come in the past two or three weeks since returning to training. :D
  • I took up running 9 years ago when I was 35. I was a stone overweight, a smoker and had done next to no exercise since I left school.

I did take up playing 5 a side football once a week 4 years prior to taking up running and was shocked about how unfit I was. Almost throwing up after 2 mins of running around. Things did improve.

My first run at the age of 35 was about half a mile round the block and by the end I thought I was having an asthma attack!

Within 3 years of my first run however I was able to run a 10k in under 35 minutes and ran the Glasgow Half Marathon in 1 hour and 22 mins.

I had run my first marathon in 3 hrs and 17 mins within a year of my first run and was training for a 2 hr 45 min marathon when I injured my knee.

Injury was to articular cartilage and that was the end of my running. 2 operations later and my knee still isn't properly sorted. Will possibly end up with a knee replacement in later life.

I now cycle for fitness but have decided not to take it up competitively as I did with running. A 20 mile round trip cycle when commuting is my whack now.

The moral of the story is twofold.

1. It is relatively easy to get very fit very quickly when running. My story was by no means unique, I trained with guys who had the same sort of background as myself and who also had similar personal best times.

2. Do not overtrain like I did. I was maybe unfortunate, most of my training partners are still running and recording great times (one guy I beat in my last half marathon now has his time down to sub 1 hour 15 mins and is in hid mid 40s). However, I am sure that my crazy training routines (which included the 20 mile round trip to work by running!) were a major factor...

Good luck with your training!
  • cnoelj
    I took up running 9 years ago when I was 35. I was a stone overweight, a smoker and had done next to no exercise since I left school.

I did take up playing 5 a side football once a week 4 years prior to taking up running and was shocked about how unfit I was. Almost throwing up after 2 mins of running around. Things did improve.

My first run at the age of 35 was about half a mile round the block and by the end I thought I was having an asthma attack!

Within 3 years of my first run however I was able to run a 10k in under 35 minutes and ran the Glasgow Half Marathon in 1 hour and 22 mins.

I had run my first marathon in 3 hrs and 17 mins within a year of my first run and was training for a 2 hr 45 min marathon when I injured my knee.

Injury was to articular cartilage and that was the end of my running. 2 operations later and my knee still isn't properly sorted. Will possibly end up with a knee replacement in later life.

I now cycle for fitness but have decided not to take it up competitively as I did with running. A 20 mile round trip cycle when commuting is my whack now.

The moral of the story is twofold.

1. It is relatively easy to get very fit very quickly when running. My story was by no means unique, I trained with guys who had the same sort of background as myself and who also had similar personal best times.

2. Do not overtrain like I did. I was maybe unfortunate, most of my training partners are still running and recording great times (one guy I beat in my last half marathon now has his time down to sub 1 hour 15 mins and is in hid mid 40s). However, I am sure that my crazy training routines (which included the 20 mile round trip to work by running!) were a major factor...

Good luck with your training!

Thanks for your sharing :)

I have heard some horror stories of the results of over - training. Our bodies know what that they can tolerate, and we must listen to them. Either that or have a personal trainer or a running partner who is going to keep us on track when we start getting silly. Sometimes it is about taking care of the basics. Remembering to stretch properly and being mindful of good nutrition and hydration. And I am aware that I did not stretch properly before going out today. I did 10 minutes of Qi Gong going before going out, but that it is not really about stretching. Fitness for me is first and foremost about enjoyment rather than competitiveness, especially as I get older, so I really respect what you are doing there. Although it is always good to build in some goals which are challenging but achievable to keep yourself motivated.
  • well with all of the above in mind I'm still keeping off the sore ankle for now, its driving me mad but must get it better properly this time.
    maybe next week...........
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport