Scrooge :(

m0rgana
m0rgana Posts: 132 Forumite
edited 6 December 2012 at 7:10PM in Shop but don't drop
This is a question for those of you who are needing to cut costs just at the most 'generous' time of the year, but who don't want to come across as stingy.

How do you plan to approach the season of goodwill in terms of presents, etc? I'm not massively struggling, but I have had a load of unusual expenses lately and I know I'll be nudging my overdraft as soon as my bills have all gone out. Being paid early will help, and I can go overdrawn if I have to but I would rather not as my bank charges even for authorised lending and I'm a 'reformed' overdraft user who generally avoids resorting to using it at all costs. Having been 'clean' for at least five years I am just really keen to stay that way!

So unless I just say I'm 'not doing xmas' (and while a lot of people here will probably be all for that idea that really isn't me), my options as I see them are:

- buy dirt cheap gifts (I'm sort of managing this by using up a lot of gift vouchers and coupons I've been hoarding)

- accept that I'm a grown up now and just because I dip into my O/D this time I'll never let myself start living off it again once I've had a frugal January

- use my credit cards (again this would be a shame as I relied on them earlier in the year and am making good inroads at paying them off, but I guess it's better psychologically than the overdraft?)

- something else (I have some savings but more of a rainy day fund than anything significant)

Also, I'm a freelancer so this time of year is tax bill time and while I do always put aside the necessary amount, it's a big chunk of money out of my account which makes me feel less happy about splashing out, particularly when income can be hard to predict from here on in. Also, I've had the experience of it ending up being a bit more than expected more than once! This year I've paid up early so won't have that worry, but I'm still feeling a bit cleaned out.

Thoughts?

Comments

• moneypenny2k
    moneypenny2k Posts: 1,121 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    with better advice than I, but my gut reaction is to ask what would make you feel worse, thinking people think you're a scrooge or knowing that you've made controlled incursions into the overdraft?

How would you feel about setting yourself a modest overdraft limit and buying prudent gifts but also setting strict target about how much you go into the overdraft and how/when you pay it back.
  • Sits back and opens the popcorn.....:j:j:j:j
  • I would wait for the sales at the last minute. You should be able to pick up a few nice things and only buy for the most important people in your life. The things you put the most thought into people tend to appreciate more and I am sure no one would want you to go into debt just for the sake of buying presents.
    :T
  • You could make gifts if you have time to - there is a thread here for some very nice ideas that won't break the bank, including several I will be trying myself! :

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/festive-fivers#topthree

HTH x
  • VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Sorry. Saw the title & thought you wanted me.
  • balmk
    balmk Posts: 624 Forumite
    Hello

For the last couple of years I have been doing Christmas for the just for the kids - my friends are fine with this, as are my family and a few of them have also adopted this as well; Christmas (as far as presents go) is more about the kids, so we buy for them, but not the adults. We ask that people don't buy for us as we don't actually need anything.
  • zenseeker
    zenseeker Posts: 4,550 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I've set a limit of £10 per person this year. Feels stingy but I have no choice :/
    We have removed your signature - please contact the forum team if you are not sure why - Forum Team
  • sayahu
    sayahu Posts: 206 Forumite
    balmk wrote: »
    Hello

For the last couple of years I have been doing Christmas for the just for the kids - my friends are fine with this, as are my family and a few of them have also adopted this as well; Christmas (as far as presents go) is more about the kids, so we buy for them, but not the adults. We ask that people don't buy for us as we don't actually need anything.

Thats what we do also!

Been getting the kids (my nephews) to make things and now that my eldest is old enough he will be also joining our secret present's club that I do round mine one evening a week for the whole month.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure