Grants for home insulation - bargains!

Comments

• Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Our last house a 2 bedroom mid terraced (1890) was solid walled and the back of the house was cold, we had the back wall dry lined basically it was a studded wall, plasterboarded with a reflective silver foil, dont recall them fitting insulation though I had to push them to pay extra for the foiled plasterboard.

My next house built in 30's also doesnt have cavity walls, it must had just miss out on that as next doors onwards do same type of house but different builder apparently.

Loft insulation, draft proofing and double glazing will make a difference though.

I believe cavity walls came in mainly because the gap between the bricks (cavity) prevent damp
  • Millie's_Mum
    Millie's_Mum Posts: 1,199 Forumite
    Poppycat wrote: »
    I believe cavity walls came in mainly because the gap between the bricks (cavity) prevent damp

That would help explain why we have had problems with damp in the past!
    MFW Start Sep 07 £79484, Now £58774
  • Hi folks,

The original posts in this thread are quite old, the original est link is dead (?) and there have been no on-topic updates for a some time.

Any updates on the grant goodies? Worth perhaps updating the sticky if so. I will be looking into this stuff at some point soon.

Cheers,
    Will.
    (All the best for the New Year - for all those on a Gregorian Calendar :D)
  • quick update .. information from an n-power brochure : http://www.npower.com/At_home/Go_green/assets/pdf/Grants_information.pdf

led me to the "Warm Front" website which indicates some grant availability to those in receipt of certain benefits:

http://www.warmfront.co.uk/do-i-qualify.htm

W.
  • Biggie
    Biggie Posts: 370
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    There appears to be so much infomation about various compaies offering various discounts.

I search on http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/and found 37 different providers offering various discounts.

How do I find out which is best for me ?

i.e Which one will work out the cheapest ?
  • nesssie1702
    nesssie1702 Posts: 1,345
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Likewise, I could do with some information that's relevant to Scotland. Live in a 1970s detached house that was cold last winter, so trying to work out what we can do to make the situation better. Anyone got any ideas?
  • My parents had a company in the midlands called Keep Warm www.homeinsulationgrants.com to do there loft and cavity wall insulation. As they were over 60 it was free they couldn't belive it but it was. We would highly recomend this company as they made a great job and it really was free of charge. They also offer part grant to people in other situations and we are in the process of having ours done at about 70% off the cost.

:money:
  • Well friends, I got a scholarship by just filling out a paper and basically telling them what I will need. But I don’t know what can I say back to them? My college counselor at my school told me I must give the people who gave me this scholarship a thank you letter but I don't know what to tell them. Can someone please give me some ideas of what to say? Please help me. Thank you so much in advance.
  • 1jim
    1jim Posts: 2,663
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    tiffeny wrote: »
    Well friends, I got a scholarship by just filling out a paper and basically telling them what I will need. But I don’t know what can I say back to them? My college counselor at my school told me I must give the people who gave me this scholarship a thank you letter but I don't know what to tell them. Can someone please give me some ideas of what to say? Please help me. Thank you so much in advance.

I would send the cheque back and apologise for wasting everyones time,, if you cant post on an appropriate forum there is no way you will get a degree...unless you win it on ebay that is:rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure