David lloyd gym membership.....prices??

Options

Comments

• yvonnemaus
    yvonnemaus Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    charliezoo,
    Thank you, but you haven't actually said how much you pay!!
    and points 1 and 2 of the following....
    1. With or without rackets.
    2. Anytime, or off-peak only.
    [3. Specific gym, or any gym countrywide.]
    [4. Single, joint (two people), family membership...]

goeffky,
    Is your £40 for a DL club? If not, it's not relevant. We are trying to find out the different charges made for the same thing.

niruban52,
    Are you really a student? paying £120 a month?
    Are you attached at the moment???
    On the other hand, if it's actually £120 a YEAR, then I've suddenly lost interest.
  • Charliezoo
    Charliezoo Posts: 1,732 Forumite
    Options
    yvonnemaus wrote: »
    charliezoo,
    Thank you, but you haven't actually said how much you pay!!
    and points 1 and 2 of the following....
    1. With or without rackets.
    2. Anytime, or off-peak only.
    [3. Specific gym, or any gym countrywide.]
    [4. Single, joint (two people), family membership...]

My post was actually just a tip to anyone interested in joining a David Lloyd who live near more than one club. If you don't mind I'd rather not list all the details of my membership.
  • yvonnemaus
    Options
    Charliezoo,

Without giving away details of your own membership, would you like to publish the names of the 3 gyms and details of their charges, which as you say, vary enormously.

You have information which DL do not advertise, and that is exactly the motivation behind this thread.

More likely than outright price differences between the gyms, the prices you were quoted were based on their assessment of what they think you might stand paying, and the different gyms made different judgments during your visits. DL hide their charges so that they can do this. You rates *will* go up, and in a couple of years you will be paying maybe double what "new customers" are being offered. You won't know unless other members publish rates. DL surely won't.
  • WillyP_2
    WillyP_2 Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have been going to DL in Oxford for about 5 months. My wife's a nurse so we get a discount (applicable to any emergency service)

Personally, I've always found the staff very friendly. The gym's well-kept. The machines are excellent (I love being able to plug my ipod into the cross-trainer and watch episodes of The Wire on the touch-screen :)

It's one of the more expensive gyms in the area but you get what you pay for. I used to go to LA Fitness in town and am so glad I changed gyms. I have no need for creches, tennis courts or towels so can't comment on any of the 'extras'.. I've certainly never been pressured into spending any money with them
  • yvonnemaus
    yvonnemaus Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    WillyP,

Would you grace us with your pre and post-discount membership cost? Assumed this is joint, health only (no rackets), anytime, single gym...
  • t0012747
    Options
    does anyone how much a basic gym membership at David Lloyd
    costs? does it depend on Location?
  • shiversregal
    Options
    I get the impression that prices vary a lot. The fact that David Lloyd Clubs don't include membership on their website makes me very suspicious. Having read the thread, it seems there is a massive variation across club prices.

I was a member of Amida in Beckenham in the past but the club has since been taken over by DL and is a much more inviting family club. It doesn't feel particularly exclusive but the sales staff like to get the impression that it is. My husband are considering joining again as our daughter is 2 and they now have soft play, a creche and family changing rooms. The deal they are offering us is as follows:
    PEAK MEMBERSHIP
    joint membership @ £86.75 each per month (or £937 lump sum payment each which works out just over £78pcm)
    membership for our daughter would be £7.50 per month or £67.50 for the year as they are doing a special deal where under 18s are free until 1 july. The creche costs £4 per hour.
    We would also have to pay a £30 admin fee each (not our daughter) to rejoin - apparently this is reduced from £100.
    This would allow access just for the club in Beckenham and no towels.

Personally, I think it's a huge amount of money although the club is very near us, there is free parking and it's a nice family club. I beleieve a lot of old members have left due to the number of children running around.

I'm undecided at the moment and dismayed to see the range of monthly charges mentioned above.

If anyone else is a member at Beckenham it would be great to know how much you pay.

Thanks
  • goliath_29
    Options
    i came in seach of information on gym prices ...and the merry go round continues if it so hard to find out a basic price
    the gyms not worth using ....:cool:
  • Charliezoo
    Charliezoo Posts: 1,732 Forumite
    edited 20 April 2012 at 12:21PM
    Options
    There is no basic price - it does vary from club to club, even clubs that are a couple of miles down the road from each other can have massively different prices. It all depends on the facilities of each club and even the area they're in - they wouldn't be able to sell a membership in a less affluent area of the country for the same price as a club in Chelsea. I've been members of a few different gyms now and I think this is a standard thing. If you call each club and ask to speak to memberships they'll normally be happy to quote you the prices over the phone, I joined 5 years ago and had no problems finding out the prices when I phoned and spoke to them.

I personally love my DL membership mainly because I can use all of the clubs in the country on my membership and really like the variety. Its not cheap but worth it if you make use of it - they'll probably let you have a trial membership you're not sure.
  • space_rider
    space_rider Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    Options
    I've joined the Nottm one. £51.50 for everything on a friends and family membership as I have a friend who works at a David Lloyd.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback