PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Shared ownership/equity is a scam.

Options

Comments

• Orpheo
    Orpheo Posts: 1,058 Forumite
    Options
    dmg24 wrote: »
    SMI is less than the mortgage interest payable for more than half the claimants, so that argument is out the window. A few years ago it was a different story, but certainly not now.

How does this invalidate the argument? As far as I can see you agree that some people will be having their capital paid on top of their interest.
    Not everyone on SMI is unemployed, in the case of a family one of the partners may be working up to 24 hours and still qualify. Furthermore, in order to have qualified for a mortgage in the first place the great majority of those on SMI would have been working, there is no such requirement for those in rented accom.

So we're paying the debts of employed debtors too!
    Best to check your facts first?

Quite right chief, I've barely scratched the surface of the iniquity.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    I've just scanned your other posts. You are bitter because you can't afford to get on the housing ladder yourself. No point arguing with fools ...
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Orpheo
    edited 17 April 2011 at 2:08PM
    Options
    I've just scanned your other posts. You are bitter because you can't afford to get on the housing ladder yourself. No point arguing with fools ...

You clearly have only scanned and not looked back very far.
    I have temporarily stepped off the housing pyramid after owning two consecutive properties. I have in excess of 60k in the bank, I live in the east mids and could buy a house tomorrow if I wanted to. Currently house prices in my area are falling at a rate of 7% YOY, this amount is considerably more than my annual rent. You have an absence of any argument and instead have chosen to speculate and insult. You are bitter because you are a mortgagee who overextended yourself and are now in negative equity*.No point aguing with morons.

*I made this bit up just like you did.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • leveller2911
    leveller2911 Posts: 8,061 Forumite
    edited 17 April 2011 at 2:08PM
    Options

To be fair for decades people have been able to get mortgages/cash buyers and then apply for Government/Council grants to renovate them.Ive worked on a fair few in my time and many were quite frankly disgraceful.Houses being bought in other family members names and then receiving taxpayers money to fit new windows,floors,roofs,kitchens etc and then sold within a few years for a large profit.
    IMHO there has been much unfairness/abuse of both systems over the years...
  • leveller2911
    leveller2911 Posts: 8,061 Forumite
    Options
    Orpheo wrote: »

Quite right chief, I've barely scratched the surface of the iniquity.

Lol , I had this picture in my head that you look like that guy of the programme on BBC1 "The boat that Guy built".......He said that........:D
  • Orpheo
    edited 17 April 2011 at 2:20PM
    Options
    Lol , I had this picture in my head that you look like that guy of the programme on BBC1 "The boat that Guy built".......He said that........:D

Nah. I don't look like him. I look more like Brad Clooney.

2822-wa.jpeg
  • Cornball
    Cornball Posts: 256 Forumite
    Options
    Just to offer a different perspective:

I purchased a shared ownership 2 bed flat. I previously lived in the same development renting for 3 years so I was aware of the area and what the building management was like. My rent for a similar flat was £1000 plus bills; I bought 25% and now pay £675 including (fixed) mortgage, rent & service charge.

I can staircase up when I'm ready and I never have to pay stamp duty on it as I bought during the 'no stamp duty' period.

I'm now able to save more each month than I could when renting. I consider the flat to be a long term investment and hopefully within 5 years I will own the whole flat (with a mortgage). I could have continued renting and saved for another 5 years and bought 'normally' but by doing it this way I get to live in the flat now while still having disposable income to travel, pursue career development and still save.

It's not for everyone but it's working for me.
  • and_another_thing...
    Options
    brit1234 wrote: »
    This thread is shared ownership/equity is a scam. It includes both schemes and refers them as both scams.

I believe they are both scams as their effect is to artifically prop up house prices much like the US sub prime, option arm and alt A mortgages. Its all the same scam to make money for the builders and the bankers at the buyers expense.

Again you are confusing people with your generalised claim. How can builders benefit when you purchase a home through a shared equity scheme that allows you to choose your property yourself? My maisonette was built in 1910!! It was for sale on the open market, I found it on Rightmove and the only people to make money at the point of sale were the vendor and the estate agent.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Wow people actually think this helps them. Its is both comical and sad at the same time that some people think that entering the housing ladder by means that they can't genuinely afford can ever help them.
  • chimpxp
    chimpxp Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    would it be possible to set up a poll for people that have had direct experience to say whether their experience was good/bad/neutral?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure