Price of a bag of coal?

Comments

• Our local garden centre was doing 3 x 25kg bags for £20 last winter which seemed like a bargain. We got it home and it was soaking wet, in fact when we tried to tip some coal out DH got covered in the black gungy liquid that was sitting in the bottom of the bag! 2 of the 3 bags have been in the coal shed all summer and we have just tried to use some of the coal on the open fire. I have no idea what sort of coal it is but it still wont burn properly even when dry. Know that saying about getting what you pay for?

We need something that burns well on both a multi-fuel stove as well as an open fire so will be getting some Homefire £23.10 for 50kg or Taybrite £18.48 for 50kg.
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 24 September 2011 at 11:46AM
    Its £5.50 here,premium house coal. 25kg bag
  • suisidevw wrote: »
    £14.50 for premium housecoal delivered in S Wales, 50kg
    The irony being I expect this is from China.
  • A._Badger wrote: »
    That's almost an FAQ.

As someone said the other day, ordinary housecoal is not the right fuel for most stoves. In fact many stove makers will void the warranty if you use it. This is because it produces copious quantities of soot which clog the passageways and rapidly fill the chimney liner.

As to which smokeless fuel is best, it depends on your individual stove and how you drive it.

I've experimented with most of the commonly available fuels over the years and with my current stove (a Hunter 14) find Taybrite as good as most and the best value for money. But that's just me.

The thing to do is buy some sample bags from your coal merchant (check the Yellow Pages - a coal merchant will usually be the best place to go) and try several types until you find one that works best.

Some people do quite well with anthracite, which is mined, not manufactured, but I find it next to impossible to light and of very variable quality.

Hope that's some help.

We use ordinary coal but we do sweep our chimney.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    oldtractor wrote: »
    We use ordinary coal but we do sweep our chimney.

Out of interest, what sort of stove do you have and how often do you need to sweep your chimney? I found (in previous houses) with a Little Wenlock and then a Yeoman County, the chimney needed sweeping every 2-3 months when I burned coal.

It's interesting to compare different experiences - and I'm jealous. No smokeless burns as nicely as coal.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Our local garden centre was doing 3 x 25kg bags for £20 last winter which seemed like a bargain. We got it home and it was soaking wet, in fact when we tried to tip some coal out DH got covered in the black gungy liquid that was sitting in the bottom of the bag! 2 of the 3 bags have been in the coal shed all summer and we have just tried to use some of the coal on the open fire. I have no idea what sort of coal it is but it still wont burn properly even when dry. Know that saying about getting what you pay for?

We need something that burns well on both a multi-fuel stove as well as an open fire so will be getting some Homefire £23.10 for 50kg or Taybrite £18.48 for 50kg.

There is some absolute rubbish being passed off as housecoal, so that was a timely warning for any newcomers to real fires.

Of the two smokeless fuels you mention, I've found Taybrite much better value than Homefire on my (Hunter) stove.
  • I just wish housecoal wasn't so expensive, prices have rocketed in reason years.

I still haven't had my chimney swept and it wont be long before the fire is in regular use :(
  • 782sirbrian
    782sirbrian Posts: 21 Forumite
    edited 24 September 2011 at 1:39PM
    Prices of fuels due to go up this month I've been told by the merchants I've visited.
    Price for mixed ovoids from Steads at Pontefract £6.75 for 25 kg collected looks mostly one size ovoid Newheat possibly looking at photos on other sites. This price due to go up so.
    I fetched 2 lots of 20 bags in my van saved including cost of fuel for van compared to locally to me which is £7.95 for 25 kg. I burn this on a Dunsley Yorkshire. Also burn logs.
    My advice ring round and check prices even if slightly out of your area.
    Brian
  • A._Badger wrote: »
    There is some absolute rubbish being passed off as housecoal, so that was a timely warning for any newcomers to real fires.

Of the two smokeless fuels you mention, I've found Taybrite much better value than Homefire on my (Hunter) stove.

Thank you, thats helpful, especially as the Taybrite is a bit cheaper. Looked at the bag of dubious coal we got from the garden centre and the bag says "Premium House Coal" - yeah right. Coalshed needs a good sort out, all kinds of things have found their way in there over the summer so I want to get that done tomorrow then get stocked up.
  • Doesn't homefire cost a fortune? Saw it in B/Q for something ridiculous today for a 10kg bag.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure