Can I claim ESA when new partner moves in?

Comments

• LizzieS_2
    LizzieS_2 Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    No they give information based on your actual circumstances at the time.
  • sindy_2
    sindy_2 Posts: 298 Forumite
    I think it's crazy...they are forcing permanently disabled people to seek work and possibly do more harm to their health! so that they can have some quality of life without worrying about money all the time
    :DDistant fields will always look greener.
    Yet, golden opportunities are all around you
    :D
  • DX2
    DX2 Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    sindy wrote: »
    It seems that when I phoned the benefits helpline today they informed me that I should of claimed IB a long time ago!...but I quite clearly remember being told by the jobcentre I'd be better staying on income support because I would receive more money!......is this because they knew that IB was being replaced soon!
    Do you think maybe you were getting Income support because you were a single parent.
    *SIGH*
  • sindy_2
    DX2 wrote: »
    Do you think maybe you were getting Income support because you were a single parent.

Yes I was a single parent and they gave me a disability premium on top of the IS, but was told that if I went on IB it would be less money to live on....I did have a choice...but I did not know that IB was going to change to ESA. If I had of known I would of switched to IB
  • LizzieS_2
    LizzieS_2 Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    As you say, you had a choice to take less money. Sometimes decisions made are right at the time, only later to bite you on the backside. I very much doubt many staff would be aware of ESA well in advance of its introduction.

I'm struggling with the maths here, you've lost £64pw and gained £1000pm. Possibly you would have lost some or all housing/council tax benefit, but you made a choice of love rather than money.
  • sjaypink
    sjaypink Posts: 6,740 Forumite
    I think it's crazy...they are forcing permanently disabled people to seek work and possibly do more harm to their health! so that they can have some quality of life without worrying about money all the time
    They are not forcing you to work. They are presuming if you have a partner move in he will be aware of the situation and contribute?

Maybe you couldn't get IB because you hadn't paid enough NI?
    Can you not give your car back to the lease company and have the benefit in cash instead if you think things will be that tight?
    We cannot change anything unless we accept it. Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses. Carl Jung

• tigerlily
    tigerlily Posts: 1,228 Forumite

There is nothing crazy about it. If a better standard of living is wanted then that better standard of living has to be paid for.....and not by the taxpayer. The fact of the matter is that your partner is moving in, well aware of the disability you have so I really dont see the issue. You are not being "forced" to work, it is your choice to have your partner move in and it is your choice to live as a couple and pool your resources. If you choose to work to improve your quality of life then power to your elbow. There are all sorts of jobs out there and it is a small percentage of people who can do absolutely none of them.
    Debt free = December 2010...as of March 2006 it is now January 2010..... as of December 2008 it is now December 2009 :j hopefully sooner!!
    :jDEBT FREE:j January 2012, took longer but I got there, all by myself, through sheer hard work and pride!
  • sorry if this is a bit harsh
    you want to live with your gf..

just cause you un employed and on dvla ? or another form of income
    do you not want to pay any thing towards her house hold billls..?
    is that what you are trying to get away from
    forgive me if i am wrong.
    credit card bill. £0.00
    overdraft £0.00
    Help from the state £0.00
  • sindy_2
    sorry if this is a bit harsh
    you want to live with your gf..

just cause you un employed and on dvla ? or another form of income
    do you not want to pay any thing towards her house hold billls..?
    is that what you are trying to get away from
    forgive me if i am wrong.

I am a woman and he is quite willing to pay for everything and also pay for his previous 4 children
  • sindy_2
    I have propabley not explained the situation properly because everyone seems so aggressive and on a war path.......I was born disabled i'm not lazy and have done the math....things will be tight.

Giving my car back is not an option because I cannot hardly walk and i have a young daughter.

I'm sorry to those of you who have been offended, i just came here for some advice...none was intended
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family