Painting UPVC door

We're wanting to paint our UPVC door, the internal part of it, as it's gone a horrible colour.I think it's because it's the kitchen one. The door itself is in good condition, so we'd rather not replace it.
Could someone tell me the correct way to do this? I'm assuming that some sort of primer would be required? but is special paint needed?
Any advice appreciated, TIA.

Comments

• it would only really be tempory (2-5 years tops) best bet i would say is car bumper paint from somewhere like auto paint
    if you think peoples advice is helpfull please take the time to clicking the thank you button it gives great satisfaction
  • jay1976
    jay1976 Posts: 35 Forumite
    If its any use, i used t cut to clean up a discoloured door seemed to work a treat for me.
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Make sure the door is scrupulously clean. Then use International UPVC primer and any suitable satin or gloss paint thereafter. Their 10 year exterior gloss works very well for outside.

Dulux also make a UPVC primer.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • square_bear
    square_bear Posts: 3,865 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think that any UPVC door or window carries a 10 year guarantee against any defects.
    Do you know how old it is?
    If so, try and contact the supplier.

A similar thing happened to me, years ago.
    I complained about discolouring around a window frame when it was 8 yers old. They came and inspected it then agreed a replacement. Free of charge.
  • C.C.L.
    C.C.L. Posts: 396 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I think that any UPVC door or window carries a 10 year guarantee against any defects.
    Do you know how old it is?
    If so, try and contact the supplier.

A similar thing happened to me, years ago.
    I complained about discolouring around a window frame when it was 8 yers old. They came and inspected it then agreed a replacement. Free of charge.

Thanks for the reply, the door was already here when we bought the house a year ago, it's an old cottage, and we quite like the door.
    Thanks to everyone else for the replies, I think in all honesty we will be better off buying a new one. One thing I am sure of, it won't be white, lol.
  • loracan1
    loracan1 Posts: 2,287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My front door was one of those white upvc with an inlay part that had gone yellow. Over the years I've tried jif, t-cut, fine sandpaper, everything. Still that horrible yellowy shade.

About 10 years ago I bought some upvc paint which has since been discontinued and that lay in the shed for the next decade...decided last spring that I was going to spruce it up (yes with the 10 year old paint)

Took the door off, rubbed it all down again, painted it, quick sand and another coat and put it back on in one day. It doesn't look like a new door - it's at least 20 years old. Replaced the handle, lock, knocker and letterbox at the same time and it looked great. So far it's stayed that way and if it only lasts 2-3 years it cost me a day and a few quid for the bits.

If I ever get my pc up and running again I'll post a little before/after snap.
  • tony6403
    tony6403 Posts: 1,257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Wonder if this is as good as it says - but for some reason is "exterior"

Ronseal Stay White uPVC Paint

Is the UPVC on your home looking tired and weathered? Ronseal Stay White UPVC Paint is tough, durable and transforms weathered and discoloured UPVC. Touch dry in just 30 minutes, it's just what your home's exterior needs for a quick lift.
    • Tough & Durable finish
    • Provides tough, waterproof protection
    • Quick Drying formulation
    • Does not require a primer
    • Areas of use: Exterior uPVC
    • Coverage: 12 m2 covered per litre
    • Number of coats: 2
    • Finish: Satin
    • Application: Brush
    • Drying time: 30 mins
    Forgotten but not gone.
This discussion has been closed.