PayPal charged me twice for the same item !! Lost 208 GBP !!!

hi

Don't know what to do; I had found a seller on eBay who was selling some stuff. We agreed the price, and he withdrew the offer, I sent him money via PayPal, got the items a few days later (beginning of October 2008), everything was fine, but...

Today, I was doing random checks of my PayPal account versus bank account, and it appears that PayPal charged me twice for the same service. The amount of money I have sent was 208 GBP, but PayPal did send altogether 416 GBP!

As soon as I have discovered what had happened I sent them an e-mail:

'''Hello,
just had done some checks on my bank account and, it appears that PayPal charged me twice on 1st October 2008. I sent ### pounds that day to (name of the person/seller) for some items. What I can see on my PayPal statement for October 2008, there is 208 GBP twice taken out of my account that day !! Also I have double checked e-mails between me and Mr.Seller and the only amount we mentioned was 208 GBP !''

They replied me some hours later:

''I have reviewed your account and I can advise you that as both of these
transactions were sent over 45 days ago we can not force the seller to
refund your for these payments. In addition you would not be able to open a
non-receipt claim against one of the transaction due to the time frame which
has lapsed. I would advise you to contact the seller and ask them to refund
you. If they contact us and ask us to process this refund we can do so on
their behalf and ensure that no additional charges are incurred.

I understand your frustration regarding this matter and apologize for the
inconvenience it caused you.''

My answer:

''Wait a minute.

It was not me who sent these money twice to the seller, it was PayPal service!!!
I authorized you ONCE by clicking to sent 208 GBP to that person!

You charged me twice / have taken money from my account, and how dare you saying now that it is my responsibility ? is it a joke ???

That is my last letter to you! If you don't want to return my money, I am going to the police, and media!''

Has anyone experienced similar problems with PayPal ?
What should I do next ?
I have sent an e-mail to the seller, but so far no reply.

Thank you

Comments

• I have been paid twice for the same item before now but it usually occurs when the buyer does not think the payment has gone through and pays again. I always refund immediately and let the buyer know what has happened. They must have known and kept quiet about it. Did you not get 2 emails for the 2 payments?
  • zwobott wrote: »
    That is my last letter to you! If you don't want to return my money, I am going to the police, and media!''

lol , I bet they're shaking in their boots at the that threat.
    Wins: pink kids laptop :(
  • I have just checked it, I have got two e-mails/confirmations from PayPal for the same amount of money, sent one at 19.50 and the other one at 19.52 the same day.

Also I have checked e-mails to and from the seller, nothing has been mentioned about double payment. I was even asked whether I got the items delivered some time later.
  • Looks like you've somehow submitted it twice, well paypals system will confirm that. Looks like the buyer maybe have been aware of the double payment and putting out feelers asking whether you got the items to see if you'd ask for a refund.

Threats to paypal will make no difference as it's only some underpaid customer servs rep looking at them and sending out stock replies, you need them on your side if you want them to go outside their remit. Have to see what the seller will do now as they can always pretend they sent two lots if push comes to shove.
    Wins: pink kids laptop :(
  • How ridiculas. I'd be fuming. I'm sorry I don't have any advice but I hope it gets sorted soon x
  • Zwobott. Unless paypal decide to perform a Christmas miracle, I think that you can safely say goodbye to your money.

The Indian robot will not have been pre-programmed with a further response to your issue except for the one that you have already received.

For that amount of cash, I would be emailing your original seller, and if that meets with no success, I would risk driving around and knocking on his door...with a couple of larger friends!!
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    So you have paid twice. You will need to speak to seller nicely, not PayPals fault. Neither EBays as you dealt outside Ebay.

Bad luck.
  • well,

I have been doing some eBay stuff for quite long now, spend with them quite few pennies, could say thousands, and this was the first time something like this has happened! I have never had any problems with them, could call myself an experienced eBay/PayPal user. Sending money twice has never happened to me, and I think I am careful. Once even reported PayPal a spoof e-mail I got.
  • If I had 2 emails for the same amount a couple of minutes apart I would have checked my paypal account immediately not several weeks later.
  • hi, well, I could have done it, you're right, but as I said, I have never had any problems with PayPal before, even, when I'm doing and have been doing for ages any payments, I always wait/have been waiting for some time, because sometimes it takes few minutes for PayPal to acknowledge/accept/transfer payment/money. These two payments have been sent in just two minutes time, between 19.50 and 19.52 . I suspect it was Paypal's computer fault.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure