Driveway removed, car in a hole - my fault?

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 March 2017 at 9:32AM
    deaston wrote: »

Well that seems unanimous so far.

I just wasn't sure if the works should've been fenced off in some way considering it is accessible from a public highway without the need to pass through gates or something similar.

I feel sorry for anyone walking along the pavement as they risk falling into it or, worse, someone in a wheelchair.

Yes indeed - think of the children!

No, I didn't leave my details as the homeowner was very hostile from the get-go and made it clear he had my reg and would "come after me".

Thanks for the replies.

Personally the first thing i'd have done if i'd got stuck was go rap the guys front door, apologise and say you'll move ASAP and then check for damage to his drive.

Finding a car stuck in your driveway, the driver not having shown any interest in checking for or attempting to pay for any damage to property and then driving off would probably make me fairly hostile too....

Still not sensing much ownership on your part that this was YOUR fault.
  • ilikewatch
    ilikewatch Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    usefulmale wrote: »
    a chasm worthy of a feature in an Indiana Jones chase sequence

I've told you a million times not to exaggerate...
  • Muscle750
    Muscle750 Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    Going by the pic id say its not even his land as its outside the gates which tome would be the boundary plus id be asking the council their ruling on the boundary etc sounds to me as if the house owner could be on dodgy ground excuse the pun
  • usefulmale
    usefulmale Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    ilikewatch wrote: »
    Could even have been nuns carrying baskets of kittens....

Darn, I knew I had forgotten something . . .
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If it's his land, I'd think he can do what he likes with it.

Up to a point. He has a duty of care to anyone visiting his land. The postman and milkman rightly expect to be able to walk up to the front door without encountering any bear traps.
  • deaston
    deaston Posts: 477 Forumite
    motorguy wrote: »
    Yes indeed - think of the children!
    Personally the first thing i'd have done if i'd got stuck was go rap the guys front door, apologise and say you'll move ASAP and then check for damage to his drive.

Finding a car stuck in your driveway, the driver not having shown any interest in checking for or attempting to pay for any damage to property and then driving off would probably make me fairly hostile too....

Still not sensing much ownership on your part that this was YOUR fault.

As I stepped out of the car to see why it wouldn't move, a voice from an upstairs window shouted "What the f*** are you doing?" to which I replied "I'm stuck." He shouted back "Better get someone to tow you out then" and shut the window.

His immediate hostility didn't really make me want to knock on his door to converse further. When he appeared and said he had my reg and "would come after me" and said "don't you have any common sense?" I decided it was probably best to deal with him as little as possible.

I haven't come here looking for confirmation as to who is at fault but more how could this have been avoided?

I guess I could have parked, got out of my car and surveyed the area with a torch to ensure someone hadn't dug a hole.

Or I could've carried on driving and turned at a roundabout (?) but I had been looking for somewhere to turn for half a mile or so and didn't know where the road was leading nor how long I'd have to drive to find somewhere.

Or he could have had some forethought and ensured the trench was visible.

I guess the homeowner never, ever turns his car in other people's driveways. Or makes mistakes.

Last year a lorry driver reversed the wrong way up a one way street and hit my parked car. I was polite and understanding that mistakes happen and his actions weren't malicious. No-one died, no-one was hurt. But it seems I should actually have shouted at him, called him names, sworn and made the situation as difficult as possible. Well, you live and learn!
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    As I stepped out of the car to see why it wouldn't move, a voice from an upstairs window shouted "What the f*** are you doing?" to which I replied "I'm stuck." He shouted back "Better get someone to tow you out then" and shut the window.

I would say the home owners versions of events would be more than slightly different....
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    edited 5 March 2017 at 10:18AM
    Anyone who is interested, here's a photo.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9oi2ZnYFaNieG16M0VDazktOXc

Doesn't look that deep until you see the full extended rear suspension.

That ditch has been there a good while, there is stuff growing in it. Again I would say speak to the neighbours, it looks suspiciously like some crazy guy digging himself a moat.

On the other hand he could have hired someone to do his drive and they either tried to rip him off OR he was such an a**hole, that they abandoned the job.

I can't imagine his neighbours would be be best pleased about what he's got going on there, not if it's been like that for a good while.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • deaston
    deaston Posts: 477 Forumite
    edited 5 March 2017 at 10:29AM
    Strider590 wrote: »
    Doesn't look that deep until you see the full extended rear suspension.

That ditch has been there a good while, there is stuff growing in it. Again I would say speak to the neighbours, it looks suspiciously like some crazy guy digging himself a moat.

On the other hand he could have hired someone to do his drive and they either tried to rip him off OR he was such an a**hole, that they abandoned the job.

I can't imagine his neighbours would be be best pleased about what he's got going on there, not if it's been like that for a good while.

I thought that - from the photo you can see things growing in the hole. But his car was parked behind the gates, so I wonder how he gets in and out. Looking at Streetview, the photo from 2009 shows there was work going on then, too (although there wasn't a hole).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9oi2ZnYFaNicTNyeDBJaXpDZWM
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    marlot wrote: »
    THat doesn't look like a 12" drop ...

And also looking at the grass that is growing in and around it, it has been there for quite a while
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure