The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,816
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Have a good day.
    Happy Friday Grayring and friends:)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,608
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite

The council tax rises have been passed in parliament, so they are on their way :( Something about councils being able to front load the rises over 2 yrs, instead of spreading the rise over 3. I know it is to do with social care funding, and realise that the money has to come from somewhere, but the bottom line is that household bills will rise.

Aha, I see, thanks Greying. I should have known that!
    beanielou wrote: »
    Will look for them thanks.
    Take it they are chilled?
    Sorry for all the q's.

They're frozen Beanie :) I've just looked at a box (there are several in the recycling :o :rotfl: ) and they are the 'think and crispy vegetable pizza' - greenish box. I think there are meat ones too but (obviously, being veggie) have never investigated. T)$co do something similar for £1 which is also acceptable :D Neither have loads of cheese, which is good for us as that's the way we prefer it, but I suppose if you liked lots you could always add a bit more!

Glad to hear BG is feeling better :j :j Must be gloomy indeed feeling poorly as a baby :( ope you have a good day Greying and all :)
  • Good Morning :hello:

Well, we've been up the high street and back. It was very quiet - I was most surprised, because whilst I appreciate online shopping is taking over, folk still like to come to have a mooch in the shop and meet friends for coffee and the like. Still, made my tasks easier, so I ain't complaining :D

I invested in some ice-creams. Haven't had any for a while, and we'll not bother with xmas pud etc this year - as I suspect we will be having curry on Christmas day, and the two don't go........ :D

I managed to use the automatic till thing in the post office, all by meself :D And it struck me, when buying six second class stamps, that the cost was exactly the same as 6L of UHT for the food bank. Wonder which has the greater value? Depends what you use the stamps to send I guess.......

Tea last night was black olive pizza. I used some of the white rye flour that I had in my storecupboard. Mmmmm. The first bactch of dough that I made - with 100% white rye, would probably have rivalled a 2' x 2' x 2" cement paving slab for usefulness....... So I scrapped that :o and made another batch with 50:50 white rye to plain flour. The resultant dough was a bit better. It did rise, but nowhere near the equivalent of bread dough. Rolling it out, it had a much more crumbly consistency than bread dough, the pizza base resembled pastry actually. It was OK taste wise, but not brilliant. I'm debating whether to use the rest or bin it, I must admit :o But it was only a 1kg bag I think, so I only have just over 500g left. 3 more pizzas (using the 50:50 ratio) - can I bear it?Picture of last night's effort here;

264_zpslvtltdfb.jpg

The wedges turned out well. They were wilja potatoes, and I did actually srinkle them with cornmeal again. Perhaps they were cooked for the right amount of time for once, rather than over cooked. Who knows. They tasted nice anyway.

Tea this evening will be curry - well it is Saturday :D I've not thought what to make, but it will definitely involve chickpeas. I have the last of the kala chana to finish off, and I want them GONE! :D

Right, I need a coffee.

*See* y'all soon.

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,300/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £0/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend March £247.85/215  Charity Blankets completed 1/24
    Grocery spend April £7.39/215
    Non-food household spend April £12.94
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,608
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Ooh, does that mean no kala chana in 2017? :j :j :j :rotfl: (I confess I actually quite like them but I've only ever had tinned, not dried...)

Does the rye flour have to be used in pizza? You could make fancy crispbreads or something like this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/rye_crispbread_96848

(I'm sure you're far better than me at finding exciting recipes :o I just had a vague memory of making rye crispbreads years ago - not these but goodness knows where I got the recipe!)

I accidentally ended up in town today :eek: Gosh, it was busy. Hastened out of there pretty darn quick!
  • Definitely don't use the rye flour for pizza again Greying - life's too short to eat food that makes you ask "can I bear it?". If you can find another recipe then fab, otherwise just chalk it up to experience for goodness sake!

The pizza does look tasty Greying, but I suspect that may be far more to do with the cheese and olive components than the base! :D
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,515
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    GP - agree with that using the flour in pizza may not be the way to go - anything rye tends to be dense and solid - would you consider trying a dense bread loaf? - delicious with butter or aubergine/feta spread! Rather than struggling against it's natural properties of heaviness - maybe celebrating them would bring out the best in this ingredient???

Then again if it just puts you off EH is quite correct in saying life is too short!:D
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 5 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • rtandon27 wrote: »
    GP - agree with that using the flour in pizza may not be the way to go - anything rye tends to be dense and solid - would you consider trying a dense bread loaf? - delicious with butter or aubergine/feta spread! Rather than struggling against it's natural properties of heaviness - maybe celebrating them would bring out the best in this ingredient???

rtandon - it was 'white' rye flour, so actually was supposed to be lighter than the wholemeal rye flour (which I also have an unopened bag of, in stores :o), so I thought I might have squeaked a 'tasty' if not pillow-like pizza base, through, to use up stores, alas, it appears not to be....... :(

Cheery - I remember that episode of the hairy bikers. You have also reminded me of crispbread recipes in my Dan Lepard book. Thank you.

EH - agreed, life is too short :D

I think in future years, I shall remind myself why not going back up the high street, on the Saturday a week before Chrimbo is a good idea. Predictable crowds, which is one thing, but lack of sobriety was quite another. I'm not a prude and enjoy making merry, but fished as a part by 3pm?

We did however, get to see a couple of Christmassy events, lights, decorations, singing and dancing. That was nice, and for the price of a small voluntary donation. Worth it. :DBaby Greying slept through the lot......... :rotfl:

I also returned an item to a shop that had been bought for BG. It wasn't really something that I'd want them to wear. Despite not having a receipt - gift or normal - the shop willingly gave me a credit note. I'll get something more suitable for BG when I've time to peruse. But I was so glad that the shop were so flexible about returns, bravo :T

Tea was curry. I've only one small portion of curry left over that has the kala chana in it :j Lunch on Monday sorted, and I will never have another kala chana in my house, EVER again :rotfl:Life is toooooooo short! :rotfl:I made Jack Monroe's chickpea and peach curry with lentil dhal and rice.

001_zpsfaepch13.jpg

Tomorrow is a full-on, hectic day. We've to be hither and yonder and may well meet ourselves coming back. I've got so much to remember!

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

sufficient

enthusiasts

flexibility

Ta for popping in, reading and joining in the discussion and supporting me. Much appreciated.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,515
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    As always your tea looks yummy GP!!! - Inspiration to use up one of several tins of chickpeas I inherited from a fellow Canuck returning to the homeland!!! ;););)

GP - a spelt/rye recipe for inspiration? Cake is always good & a great place to hide things like grated veg and overripe fruit! I've made this recipe with spelt flour which for some unknown reason made it into our shopping basket!:o:o:o I'm with you on the 'seemed like a good idea at the time' thought process - we have several odd ingredients in the stores! (...and they take ages to use up - perhaps they multiple when I'm not looking?)
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 5 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Good Morning :hello:

rtandon - I will certainly keep that banana loaf recipe in mind. There may well be some YS'd bananas available over the next couple of weeks, and it would be a perfect thing to try out - Thank you :D

well, yesterday went spiffingly :D We did end up not attending one thing that we'd planned. I can't actually say that I am sorry in a way. It was DH's call, and he decided to cancel. It's one of those things that is nice to do, but when you know you've already got alot to get ready for/travel to/carry out a favour and then attend the actual event; it actually becomes a burden. Plus there will be other times to do that particular special activity, so nothing lost :D

Baby Greying behaved impeccably, got entertained and entertained us, got spoilt rotten and brought smiles to faces - familiar and not so familiar.

We got spoilt rotten too; fed, watered and welcomed.

I hope wherever you were yesterday, you had the same glorious view of the sunset that I did - it was just like a painting. Absolutely glorious - and the colours of the sky and clouds, exquisite.

Back to normal with a bump today! :D I've a couple of cards to mail. One was actually given to me in the hope that I would see the recipient before chrimbo. Unlikely. So I shall just stick a stamp on it and chuck it in the post. Pesky families.

Tea tonight will be summat out of the freezer.

We'll take a wander up the high street as I've some money to put into BG's bank account. Although I shouldn't have a need to buy anything, I can't claim a NSD, as bread, milk and one or two other 'essentials' will be coming home with DH from one of the supermercados on his route home.

I haven't allocated meals to days yet for this week. I'll go and do that now. Keeping things low cost or no cost into the weekend. Not that we particularly have a 'blow-out' extravaganza for christmas, but I'm keen to keep treats 'special' if I can. There was a good *conversation* about it on the groceries thread. It made me think. Even I had become guilty of buying eg crisps for 'everyday'. At present it is chocolate - I'm not buying it, but I am managing to have chocolate virtually everyday, by one means or another. Do you know, I'm already a bit 'fed up' of it. Chocolate! I'm definitely appreciating the sentiment of 'less is more' - and really enjoy things when I have them. No 'sack cloth & ashes', just more concious consumption I think. We're lucky enough to have access to all these things, the ability to purchase them, and the wherewithall to enjoy them in peace and safety. I'd prefer to be mindful of that.

Right, best shift-a-tail-feather. Baby Greying being showered with love and 'things' is a real blessing, for which I am very grateful. But it does mean that I have got to significantly up my game in terms of getting on top of having the house ship-shape, and above all, keeping it that way. Ho hum.

I may be some time away............. :rotfl:

Ta for popping in, reading, providing me with spiffing looking recipes and joining in. Mucho, mucho appreciated.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10
  • we did NOT have any sort of view of any sort of sunset Greying. We have had FOG. Lots of it. ALL weekend! :rotfl:

Fished as a part made me laugh too - took me a second, but then...!

And hurrah to the end of the kala chana! :T
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business