Options
13»

Comments

• theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,305 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Ames wrote: »
    And what about people who need more expensive medication but can't afford hundreds or thousands a month for them?

I think the poster was refering to the cost being printed on the packet - not to being charged it.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    theoretica wrote: »
    I think the poster was refering to the cost being printed on the packet - not to being charged it.

Well, that's what I was originally referring to. You don't get charged the cost of meds on discharge from hospital, you don't pay anything for meds in a NHS hospital. Crumbs, if you're in enough pain, they give you class A drugs for free. :)
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    edited 19 March 2017 at 7:04PM
    Options
    Nick_C wrote: »
    The thing that annoys me is when the prescription costs much more than the drug. I use generic betnovate. About 30g a year. If I could buy it OTC it would be about £3.
    Ames wrote: »
    Have you asked for a private prescription for it?

I've not. I thought GPs charged for private prescriptions? I'll ask when I get the next one. Thanks.

The cream itself costs £1.89!!

https://www.weldricks.co.uk/products/betamethasone-valerate-cream-30g

And I've just checked my GP's website. They charge £25 for issuing a private prescription!!
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    theoretica wrote: »
    antrobus wrote: »
    Well, that's what I was originally referring to. You don't get charged the cost of meds on discharge from hospital, you don't pay anything for meds in a NHS hospital. Crumbs, if you're in enough pain, they give you class A drugs for free. :)

Ah, I misunderstood, apologies.
    Nick_C wrote: »
    I've not. I thought GPs charged for private prescriptions? I'll ask when I get the next one. Thanks.

The cream itself costs £1.89!!

https://www.weldricks.co.uk/products/betamethasone-valerate-cream-30g

And I've just checked my GP's website. They charge £25 for issuing a private prescription!!

That's a shame, some do it for free if the meds are cheaper. You could ask them next time you see them though, if it's a once or twice a year thing. After all it doesn't cost them anything extra to print it off if you're being issued it in person.
    Save
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    antrobus wrote: »
    Only about 10% of the English pay prescription charges. There is a long list of exemptions, including 'people over 60'.

That doesn't make it right, in fact the medical exemptions just increase the unfairness. Transplant patients still have to pay, even though they would die without the medicines. Likewise asthmatics are likely to have issues if they don't get their inhalers. Then there those with a qualifying condition, who get free everything even if it isn't related to that condition!
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    The medical exemption list is very antiquated and is long, long over due for through re-assessment IMO.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do DIABETICS get an exception ?
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    Do DIABETICS get an exception ?

Only if they take insulin or other medicine for the diabetes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure