Tariff whilst switching suppliers

Comments

• Femstar
    Femstar Posts: 17 Forumite
    British Gas seems to have done the same to me. Used the web form to contact them earlier. Stated OFGEM regulations and their own T&Cs and this was their response...

"I’m sorry for the confusion that was created due to standard tariff being mentioned on your final bill.

We have closed your energy account on 13 March 2017. The Collective Fix February 2017 tariff was registered on your account and the tariff end date was 28 February 2017. After the tariff end date, your energy account automatically gets registered on standard tariff.

Please be assured, that we have billed your energy account to collective fix February 2017 until 28 February 2017. You can refer to page 2 and 3 of your bill, where we have calculated your account from 12 February 2017 to 28 February 2017 on collective fix rates that is 2.73p (gas) and 8.35p (electricity). The standard tariff rate was used to calculate your bill from 1 March 2017 to 13 March 2017 and the rates were 3.67p (gas) and 11.96p (electricity)."

I've emailed them again...
  • CashStrapped
    CashStrapped Posts: 1,294 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 March 2017 at 11:19PM
    I would try and speak to them on the phone. It is an 0800 number.

It took a few tries to speak to someone who was prepared to understand what I was talking about and then go away to check with a manager.

It seems none of the staff are aware of the policy.

Even in my instance, they did not admit fault. They applied the "gesture of good will" solution, which in my mind is always a way of resolving the issue without admitting liability.

I wonder how many of the customers this applies to.
  • Annabee
    Annabee Posts: 642 Forumite
    I too was on the Collective tariff which ended 28 February, and I am switching away to another supplier (the changeover is happening 20 March). Having vaguely heard of it on this site, I did enquire of British Gas about keeping the old tariff until the move via their messaging service and got this reply:

About your tariff:

The Collective Fix tariff February 2017 ended on 28 February and your account is now registered on our Standard tariff. Its unit per rates are 3.71p for gas and 12.28p for electricity and the standing charge is 26.01p. I'm sorry, the previous tariff was only applicable until 28 February 2017, further you'll be charged as per the Standard tariff.

In my case the period covers nearly 3 weeks, I wonder if it will be worthwhile to take this further, as you all seem to be saying they're wrong?
  • Annabee
    Annabee Posts: 642 Forumite
    edited 17 March 2017 at 1:30AM
    I am also wondering why they are quoting me a slightly higher price than Femstar for the standard tariff. (eg 12.28p for electricity, compared to her quoted 11.96p) Is it that there are different rates for different geographical areas? I am East Midlands.
  • CashStrapped
    CashStrapped Posts: 1,294 Forumite
    edited 18 March 2017 at 1:10AM
    Annabee wrote: »
    I too was on the Collective tariff which ended 28 February.....In my case the period covers nearly 3 weeks, I wonder if it will be worthwhile to take this further, as you all seem to be saying they're wrong?

It depends, I think there is a clause that means that the switch had to be actioned or they had an initial instruction before the tariff ended.

Edit: This is incorrect - See below
    Annabee wrote: »
    Is it that there are different rates for different geographical areas? I am East Midlands.

Yes, indeed there are.
  • Got my final bili from extra energy - my tariff ended 31st jan and from 1st feb - 22feb they have switched me to their std tariff, standing charge is 4 times my fixed tariff - worked out its about £20, they also owe me £75 for switching confusion (agreed £50- took 5months to sort in jul - which they apoligised for not giving me so in dec raised it to £75 and they have still not given me-guess i can kiss goodbye now - but they have not met me - freinds call me the new martin lewis - got £44 from virgin for loss of supply for 1 day(not bad!) from the switch issues from npower to them the previous year

Will use ofgem document below and update here

In relation to each Fixed Term Supply Contract, unless the Domestic Customer has entered into a new Fixed Term Supply Contract with the licensee or paragraph 22C.5 of standard condition 22C applies, the licensee must ensure that where paragraph 24.10 applies a Domestic Customer will continue to be subject to the same Charges for the Supply of Gas and the same terms and conditions (but not any Termination Fee) that applied to that Fixed Term Supply Contract until they have changed their supplier.

24.10 This paragraph applies where one of the following conditions are satisfied:

(a) no later than 20 Working Days after (but not including) the date on which the fixed term period of a Fixed Term Supply Contract ends, the licensee receives Notice under the Network Code by way of the Relevant Gas Shipper that another Gas Supplier will begin to supply the Domestic Customer’s Domestic Premises within a reasonable period of time; and

(b) another Gas Supplier begins to supply the Domestic Customer’s Domestic Premises within a reasonable period of time after the date on which the Notice referred to in sub-paragraph 24.10(a) is given; or

(c) where:
    (i) the conditions in sub-paragraphs 24.10(a) and (b) are met; and
    (ii) the Domestic Customer has paid any Outstanding Charges within 30 Working Days after the Domestic Customer receives Notice that the licensee intends to prevent the Domestic Customer’s Proposed Supplier
  • c_smith
    c_smith Posts: 379 Forumite
    It depends, I think there is a clause that means that the switch had to be actioned or they had an initial instruction before the tariff ended.

I wonder how that fits in with the 14 day cooling off period that applies when you initiate a switch? Same thing has happened to me. Switched to iresa on 14th February, but the 14 day cooling off period meant they didn't action it until 1st march. Just got my final gas bill through from BG and I've been charged standard rate from 1st march. Electricity still not transferred yet but i expect it will be the same.
  • Hi C smith
    It took extra energy almost 1 month for final bill switch 23feb final bill 16mar - Zero c/service - now with Co -op! anyway switched from npower - extra energy & saved £500 now switched to co-op & saved £200 so in 2 years was £1600 now £900!This year did through topcashback via freepricecompare got £36 cashback +fress tastecard for a year - not bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    c_smith wrote: »
    I wonder how that fits in with the 14 day cooling off period that applies when you initiate a switch? Same thing has happened to me. Switched to iresa on 14th February, but the 14 day cooling off period meant they didn't action it until 1st march. Just got my final gas bill through from BG and I've been charged standard rate from 1st march. Electricity still not transferred yet but i expect it will be the same.

The important date for the old supplier is when they are notified through the Network that a transfer is in progress. as you say, Iresa does nothing during the 'cooling off' period; however, if your switch ended on the 1st March it is 100% certain that BG was informed in time for the tariff protection to kick in. I would raise a complaint.
  • c_smith
    c_smith Posts: 379 Forumite
    Hengus wrote: »
    The important date for the old supplier is when they are notified through the Network that a transfer is in progress. as you say, Iresa does nothing during the 'cooling off' period; however, if your switch ended on the 1st March it is 100% certain that BG was informed in time for the tariff protection to kick in. I would raise a complaint.

Thanks Hengus. I maybe wasn't 100% clear on what I meant.

I submitted an application to transfer from BG to Iresa on 14th February. At 0017 hours on 28th February, after the 14 day cooling off period, I received an email from Iresa saying they had initiated the transfer to them from British Gas. I then got an email from BG at 2302 on 1st March acknowledging the transfer and giving me dates of 13th and 19th for gas and electricity transfers respectively.

Do you think then I have a case given that Iresa confirmed on 28th that they had initiated the transfer?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure