PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How many Viewers?

Options
Hi All,

I've posted on here before about my flat and the situation we find ourselves in.

Anyway can people please share with me what they expected in terms of viewers when they list their house for sale?

We listed our house just a little under a week ago bu have had 0 nibbles at all.

As a buyer I look daily at the newly listed houses and if I like one i request a viewing, is this how others work?

i would have hoped for a viewer or 2 in the first week but we've had nothing.

i worry that its our pictures that have done it but it could just be the area.

thanks!

Comments

• jonmoneybags
    Options
    at least 100 in the first week, should be like Piccadilly circus the first few days.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Price is always the issue, especially in a stalling market with all the uncertainty surrounding Brexit/EZ elections etc.
  • neilio
    neilio Posts: 286 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Could be any number of reasons. Asking price, levels of demand in your area, how well or badly the estate agent is marketing the property (including photos), type of property, leasehold versus freehold, general economic outlook.

Try not to pay too much attention when anyone refers to what the best or worst time of year is.
  • always_sunny
    always_sunny Posts: 8,314 Forumite
    Options
    Funny enough, properties use similar principles... if you get nil interest, one of these could be a problem!
    The-Four-Ps-of-Marketing.gif
    EU expat working in London
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Depends on what you mean by "listed" when you say
    tootiemac wrote: »
    We listed our house just a little under a week ago
    but I don't think Rightmove et al necessarily update their ads in real time. So 'a little under a week' might only be 2 or 3 days that the ad's been live. Furthermore, not everyone signs up for daily property alerts, so might not even have heard about it. Finally, the type of property it is will determine the type of buyer. FTBs (for example) will probably have work to go to, so maybe won't be able to view during office hours in the week, whereas a bungalo that's suitable for retired people may get more daytime mid-week viewers.

Ultimtately, if you're worried you're not getting enough nibbles, drop the price to £1. Someone will bite your arm off to buy it for that. Make of that advice what you will....
  • tootiemac
    tootiemac Posts: 174 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks All!

Its a 3 bed ground floor flat.
    We've listed at the lowest we could, we're in Scotland so property prices are lower than down south.
    Our home report valued it at £70K (because the wee old women next door sold hers for that) and that's what we had wanted to get so we listed at £66K offers over.
    It showed up on right move and zoopla that day i was checking.
    we can only do viewing on evening/weekends but we've paid for the agent to do day times if necessary.
    I honestly think it might be the pictures, this is our property.
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-47198679.html
    Any advice welcome!
    p.s. i cannot make the 2nd room into a bedroom because I work from there.
  • Helen2k8
    Helen2k8 Posts: 361 Forumite
    Options
    That first picture is an awful lot of grey. Any chance you could swap it with one of the brighter / prettier ones? Still have all the pictures there, just in a slightly different order?
  • tootiemac
    tootiemac Posts: 174 Forumite
    Options
    I thought that but the agent said outside was always the starting point.
    I'm going to push for that now!
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Options
    tootiemac wrote: »
    I thought that but the agent said outside was always the starting point.
    I'm going to push for that now!

Please don't do that - I always feel that listings which don't show the exterior of the property are trying to hide something, and if that exterior shot came up later in the gallery, I'd agree. Instead, see if they can get a better angle/more cropped view, perhaps not featuring that archway to the parking lot...

It's also listed as a 3 bedroom flat, but I can only see 2 rooms which are/could be bedrooms, so a floor plan would be helpful.

Finally, and being really picky, make the bed in the bedroom properly, declutter the bathroom, get the lighting right in the 2nd lounge shot, and seriously consider the wisdom of that dining room photo...
  • rentmekid
    rentmekid Posts: 79 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Did you estate agent take the pictures using an iphone?

The photographs should be crystal clear, not of this poor quality.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure