BT complaints

Comments

• I recently moved into a rented property with a BT socket on the wall. The landlord had only moved out about a week and a half previously to me moving in.
    I called BT and a really helpful chap told me that I should get a phone and plug it in. If the line was buzzing I should dial 17070 and this would give me my phone number and if I was "on the circuit" If this was the case, there would not be any connection charges levied. I did as he advised and WHEY HEY it buzzed, I dialled, got the number on the circuit !
    I called BT back to advise them of this and went through what the chap told me and re-iterated that no connection fee should be made. However ! Surprise, Surprise , this time I was told that they had allocated that number elsewhere and I would need to pay the connection fee. Irate and over a barrel I paid the connection fee.
    Yesterday I wrote to the CEO of BT (Ben Verwaayen) [EMAIL="ben.verwaayan@bt.com"]ben.verwaayen@bt.com[/EMAIL], I had an email from him within a couple of hours apologising and said he would allocate my complaint to his team. Today (literally 24 hours of my first contact with him) his team called me back and are issuing a cheque in full, for the refund of my connection fee.
    It may be interesting to note that if you are moving into a property - BT should not charge you a reconnection fee if the previous occupiers have had BT active and you have moved in within 3 weeks of the previous people advising BT to close their account.
    It may be that if the sales guys wont budge you have to do what I did - bite the bullet and pay the connection fee then write to Ben Verwaayen to try and get your money back. It worked for me. Thank you Ben !!!
  • ben.verwaayen@bt.com
    Watch the spelling - but this is correct !
  • Daffodil78 wrote: »
    I tried the Ben email and it bounced back as invalid - have checked I typed it in correct and can't see any problem.
    Anyone else had this happen or are people still getting their problems resolved this way?
    ben.verwaayen@bt.com
    Watch the spelling - this is correct.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ben.verwaayen@bt.com
    Watch the spelling - this is correct.
    But, of course, he's being replaced at the end of next month.

Whether ian.livingston@bt.com will be the replacement 'last resort' email address to which to write remains to be seen.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • notbritishgas
    notbritishgas Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Heinz wrote: »
    But, of course, he's being replaced at the end of next month.

Whether [EMAIL="ian.livingston@bt.com"]ian.livingston@bt.com[/EMAIL] will be the replacement 'last resort' email address to which to write remains to be seen.

Something to do with all the emails he has been receiving I hear.:rotfl:
  • ...Sorry, just need to let off a little steam. mad.gif

Over the past 2 days, I've spent well over 1 and a half hours on hold to BT, trying to get my telephone line transferred to my new address (as I move in next week). At one stage, I was holding for 40 mins and then had the call cut off. frown.gif

Now, as somebody who's worked in a call centre environment for a considerable length of time, including a spell as a supervisor (responsible for monitoring and managing call queue stats) I'd be absolutely mortified to have customers waiting for such a ridiculous amount of time. In fact, I'd probably have found myself without a job if my call queue had ever reached anything like that length of time.

What's even worse, after all of this time (calling from my mobile), I still don't have it sorted!! mad.gif

Anyway, I'm calling them again at 6, so hopefully I'll have more success this time. I'll also be writing a strongly worded letter of complaint this evening...although I hold out little hope of a satisfactory response.

Sorry about that, just needed to rant. rolleyes.gif
  • garden33
    garden33 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Bit of info for you......

I have just e-mailed 'Ben' my complaint, which I have been trying to resolve for 2 months and received a response in minutes! :j

His response Quote "
    Team: please help out
    Ben "

Im just picking myself up off the floor!

I am like all you other's, have a huge bill and dont understand why??

Watch this space.....
  • andie99uk
    andie99uk Posts: 15 Forumite
    Went to BT after virgin became too bad for words (see previous threads).
    I moved home last week & had called BT to arrange to keep my new number and Broadband & vision.
    I have had to write the following to the chairman

Sir,
    I moved home last tuesday. I had called homemovers well before hand and was advised that they would arrange to move all 3 of my services.
    asuming this is read on Monday, I will have been without Broadband & Vision for a week tomorrow.
    I have had the run around from your service centre, homemovers, sales and every other department I have been put through too by your overly incompetant staff in India and the UK.
    I have now decided that I no longer want the BT vision. I will keep the broadband (if it ever goes back on) until the contract finishes then go elsewhere as soon as is possible.
    I have found your staff to be rude, often just put through to another department without explanation meaning I have to spend another 10 minutes going through it all again before once again being told I am at the wrong department and fobbed off to another indian who dosent know what he\she is doing.
    I came to BT because Virgin media were unable to get the easy things right. When I was first installed before moving (only about 3 months ago) it took a complaint to this office to actually get my line on as your engineer cut us off & reconnected our neighbours line to our phoneline for 2 days.
    All I ask is this very simple question.
    WHEN WILL I GET MY BROADBAND BACK?

I expect your answer will be never, but rest assured, I am calling offcom today (monday) to register my complaint with them as well.
    My phone number is below as is my new address. My old address is still on my acount with BT as you cant even get that right.
    [FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]Andie Riley[/FONT]
    within a minute, the following...
    sorry about this
    Team: please handle

Ben

Amazing for a sunday @ 17.45
    :beer: Heaven dosent want me & Hell is scared I'll take over!
  • Midas
    Midas Posts: 596 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The CEO of BT is no longer Ben Verwaayen, he stood down at the end of May.

The new CEO is Ian Livingston. His e-mail address is ian.livingston@bt.com

I e-mailed him with my complaint and and got an e-mail back with 20 minutes, and a phone call within 40.
    Midas.
  • Having been pushed from pillar to post over the past 3 weeks in various Indian call centres over a simple matter of transferring my existing number from Virgin Media to BT I found this forum and the details of ben.verwaagen.Out of sheer frustration I e mailed him not expecting anything really. Within 20 minutes he had returned my e mail and even though he is not now with BT he promised to make them aware. 1 hour later a lovely lady with an Irish lilt called me and promised me action.Today a lady called me from the chairmans complaint line apologised profusely and promised me my number would be moved over by 8 August.Also promised to contact me to keep me updated.Customer service by ben.veraagen or what?Thanks again if I hadn't read this thread I would have probably slashed my wrists by now
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure