Small NI stamp

Comments

• Thanks everyone for their replies. However I don't remember being told it would affect my pension and my husband was paying his NI and the pension included his contributions. Maybe I got it wrong, but I thought your husband's contributions counted at the time you had children and had to work part time (hence I paid the "small" stamp!
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,336 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks everyone for their replies. However I don't remember being told it would affect my pension and my husband was paying his NI and the pension included his contributions. Maybe I got it wrong, but I thought your husband's contributions counted at the time you had children and had to work part time (hence I paid the "small" stamp!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/special-reports/the-married-women-getting-30p-a-week-pension---despite-50-years/

It dramatically reduced the state pension they were qualified to receive independently of their husbands, as well as removing their right to receive maternity and unemployment benefit.

Instead they would receive 60pc of their husband's state pension allowance when he reached his retirement age.

http://www.britishpensions.org.au/Home-responsibilities.htm
  • greenglide
    greenglide Posts: 3,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    But of course was a long time ago when married women were expected to only work for a year or two before leaving to have children and then we're not expected to return to work.

Since it also required 40 years or so of contributions to get the full pension the assumption was generally that a woman's pension would almost always use the husband's contributions (60% ?).

So for a lot of people it did make sense but the world change and women worked for much longer and the small stamp wasn't suitable.

Many years ago when the small stamp was stopped except for existing elections the government of the time should have stopped it completely but that would have been too sensible.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,011 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Many years ago when the small stamp was stopped except for existing elections the government of the time should have stopped it completely but that would have been too sensible. Posted by greenglide
    Exactly. However, it was 1977 and the then Labour Government probably thought it would be too much of a vote loser if they stopped it completely.

I remember when I first started work in the early 1970s - and a couple of married ladies thought it was hilarious that they paid much less NI than us singlies. An older single lady did point out that they would get peanuts for their State pension - but they didn't seem to care. All they could see was the extra few pounds in their wages then.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Linda, do also think about your user name here and elsewhere.

Saying your name and DOB can be too much information for strangers
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    they didn't seem to care. All they could see was the extra few pounds in their wages then.

I dare say they assumed that the taxpayer would still stump up if they were short of cash in old age. I suppose they proved to be right, did they?
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    This thread must have one of the vaguest titles on MSE forums.:)
  • ermine
    ermine Posts: 757 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    linda1949 wrote: »
    However I don't remember being told it would affect my pension and my husband was paying his NI and the pension included his contributions. Maybe I got it wrong, but I thought your husband's contributions counted at the time you had children and had to work part time (hence I paid the "small" stamp!

It's not unheard of for amnesia to apply to disadvantageous news. Often we don't hear what we don't want to hear...

It may be worth investigating whether you had Home Responsibilities Protection, but you still need 20 years of real NI contributions.
  • ffacoffipawb
    ffacoffipawb Posts: 3,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    ermine wrote: »
    It's not unheard of for amnesia to apply to disadvantageous news. Often we don't hear what we don't want to hear...

e.g. WASP[STRIKE]I[/STRIKE]E
  • westv wrote: »
    This thread must have one of the vaguest titles on MSE forums.:)

It's quite common that thread title and username are identical on threads by new users.

I find it bizarre.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport