Universal Job Match - where are all the jobs?

Comments

• Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    TyreLever wrote: »
    Arrange suitable training such as CSCS courses, forklift or lorry driving etc. / Liaise with employers and arrange interviews for you where possible. / Expert staff to review/redo your CV upon signing on. Also guide you on cover letters and assist with application forms.

Anyone who expects the government to do all these for them instead of doing them themselves is not capable of anything beyond unskilled labour. Hence it is a waste of time sending them on courses or jazzing up their CV. If someone doesn't have the wherewithal to apply for a lorry driver's course do you really think they should be in charge of an HGV?

I'm not surprised the JobCentre don't let people use their loos, next thing you know people would start asking them to hold their willy for them.
  • TyreLever
    TyreLever Posts: 212 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Malthusian wrote: »
    Anyone who expects the government to do all these for them instead of doing them themselves is not capable of anything beyond unskilled labour. Hence it is a waste of time sending them on courses or jazzing up their CV. If someone doesn't have the wherewithal to apply for a lorry driver's course do you really think they should be in charge of an HGV?

I'm not surprised the JobCentre don't let people use their loos, next thing you know people would start asking them to hold their willy for them.

So because somebody doesnt know how to do something, that makes them incapable of learning how to do it well? Unemployed people are unlikely to be able to fund courses themselves. A jobcenter should provide training, or access to training where reasonable.
    Sometimes my advice may not be great, but I'm not perfect and I do try my best. Please take this into account.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,682 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Training, possibly. But if you're not able to arrange an interview with an employer then I'd suggest that rules out pretty much every role an employer might be wanting to offer you.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • jessex1990
    jessex1990 Posts: 137 Forumite
    I spoke to people at the jobcentre today and apparently UJM will no longer be required from next year if you are claiming UC. There will be a new electronic diary (similar to the log section) instead.
  • There are no jobs for native Britons because most of the vacancies are meant for foreigners only.
  • TyreLever wrote: »
    That applies to the jobcenter aswell. You go there to sign on but there is absolutely no help available for you to actually get a job. A job center should:

Arrange suitable training such as CSCS courses, forklift or lorry driving etc.

Liaise with employers and arrange interviews for you where possible.

Expert staff to review/redo your CV upon signing on. Also guide you on cover letters and assist with application forms.

Jobcenters dont do any of this stuff. In fact you cant even go there to initiate your claim, you have to do that by telephone or internet which drags things out. I'd like to think they will at least let you do this on one of their computers. Staff there are worse than useless. IME they wouldnt even let me use their toilets, they just said to use the pub next door. I suppose its all part of the system to put you off benefits. Like we would choose to live on £70 per week.

May e they could cook your dinner for you, read you a story and tuck you into bed at night after giving you a kiss on the cheek? No, they're not there to pretend to be your mum, they're there so that the tax payer doesn't have to give you any more free money in the form of benefits. All of the other services that you have on your wish list of free goodies can be obtained from someone who identified a gap in the market and started their own business to provide that service. Go find them out.

As for not letting you use their loo, I'm not surprised, the level of entitlement that you seem to have would mean that you would expect them to clean up all kinds of mess after you've been. That's not their job either.
  • TyreLever
    TyreLever Posts: 212 Forumite
    May e they could cook your dinner for you, read you a story and tuck you into bed at night after giving you a kiss on the cheek? No, they're not there to pretend to be your mum, they're there so that the tax payer doesn't have to give you any more free money in the form of benefits. All of the other services that you have on your wish list of free goodies can be obtained from someone who identified a gap in the market and started their own business to provide that service. Go find them out.

As for not letting you use their loo, I'm not surprised, the level of entitlement that you seem to have would mean that you would expect them to clean up all kinds of mess after you've been. That's not their job either.

Jesus Christ you're a massive bell end.
    Sometimes my advice may not be great, but I'm not perfect and I do try my best. Please take this into account.
  • jbond
    jbond Posts: 107 Forumite
    jessex1990 wrote: »
    I spoke to people at the jobcentre today and apparently UJM will no longer be required from next year if you are claiming UC. There will be a new electronic diary (similar to the log section) instead.

Not sure, but I think you might be getting confused? UJM is just really the jobs site (which you can log into and record your job search on anyway).
  • Stylehutz
    Stylehutz Posts: 351 Forumite
    Nice to see the usual contributions of the Daily Fail readers on this thread. Very helpful to the unemployed. Keep it up guys?:mad:
  • jbond
    jbond Posts: 107 Forumite
    Stylehutz wrote: »
    Nice to see the usual contributions of the Daily Fail readers on this thread. Very helpful to the unemployed. Keep it up guys?:mad:

Can't believe I'm saying this, but in fairness to the DF readers, JCs have never really done things like CV advice/writing etc. IN my experience, they are only really there to sign you on, do a quick jobs search check, and then see ya later. HOWEVER, they should always be able to point you in the direction of orgs that CAN provide extra help!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure