Cheap Parcel Delivery - official discussion

Comments

• elver_man
    elver_man Posts: 20,787 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 January 2014 at 12:00PM
    That may be your experience, but I've used them numerous times and have had a 100% success rate. I too have saved quite a bit by using them over the last year.
    Also good to get the odd discount and offer from them.

:)
    Thoughts:

The surest sign that there is intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't contacted us yet:D
    Life's most urgent question is: what are you doing for others?
    Life's most urgent question is: What are you doing for others;) - Martin Luther King jr
  • Seeker
    Seeker Posts: 31 Forumite
    Dewpoint wrote: »
    Personally, I found that myHermes is the best and easiest to deal with - see my previous post. Comes with basic insurance (£50), or you can generally insure for more if needed. Always found them reliable and quick.
    regards

I would be wary of insuring something for more than it is worth as you will only get what it is valued back. I recently had a parcel damaged by a MyHermes courier and had insured it up to the £250 maximum. When I submitted my claim they wanted to see proof of the value. As it happens the customer bought it from me at over £270 so I simply sent them a copy of the invoice, which was acceptable. Now the item cost the customer £270 but didn't cost me that, but MyHermes will repay me the £250 I insured it for.

My point is, if your item is valued at £50 and you insure it for £100 you will only get £50 back if they lose or damage it. So you will be paying extra insurance that isn't worth having.
  • I was reluctant to use myHermes at first, but have used them a few times for eBay sales and they have been great, dropped my parcel off at a nearby store and it was delivered quickly and my buyers were more than happy (no complaints about damages or delayed items and good feedback left for me) - the tracking on the site was broken though so rather annoying but still great value but then I have never had a problem so not sure if they would be any good if there was a problem at solving it.

xxLeighxx
    :j:j:j:j:j:j
    Thank you everyone and especially MSE team - saving us all a LOT for years now
    :j:j:j:j:j:j

• Try Promo Code on Collect Plus, which should give 13% discount:

XMAS13
  • alcol
    alcol Posts: 22 Forumite
    I sell on ebay, I use Royal Mail for small parcels under 1 kg and MyHermes for heavier or larger parcels.
    I have only had 1 parcel go missing with MyHermes, the person that delivered it had put on the note that it had been left in the porch, but the customer didn't have a porch just a little roof over the door. The parcel had been stolen from their doorstep, so I had to send out another parcel but I did get the value of the item plus the courier charge back from MyHermes without any problems. You can't blame a company for an individuals foolish action.
    A lot of my larger items are drop shipped by my supplier & they use UPS who give a fantastic service.
    Overpaying on mortgage and hoping to be mortgage free in 5 years saving approx £35,000 in interest!:j
  • I'm looking for a courier who will deliver one parcel, from UK to Austria, which contains xmas presents including whisky miniatures - all the couriers I've managed to find don't seem to carry alcohol, barring only FedEx - which seems a tad excessive (£76 for 5kg).

Does anyone know of any other couriers that ship to europe and do not prohibit alcohol?
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 December 2013 at 6:14AM
    It does not sound as though the value of the parcel is trivial (ie £15 ish or £35 ish if a gift)
    I don't know the regulations from the Austrian point of view, but perhaps the charges reflect the uncertainty and petty administrative regulations involved.

The UK position is explained here.
    http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageImport_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000014&propertyType=document#P18_1591

Ad valorem duties may have abolished between member states and replaced by different VAT rates, but Austria may well have specific "excise" type duties on alcohol?

Who is paying the "import clearance" charges in the destination country ?
    I am not sure I would appreciate a present with £10+ added on before the parcel could be handed over.
  • @John

Thanks for your reply, however, I have since found TNT can provide the same service, for the same weight etc, including carrying the alcohol, at half the price quoted by FedEx - but I had already arranged instead to have the 4 miniatures to be sent separately by a colleague going over to Germany.

In general though, your link and notes were unfortunately not really relevant to what I was asking, as my quoted price of carriage was set by the weight (& volumetric details) and not the value of parcel (the value is trivial anyway for gift/import purposes to Austria, and would have attracted minimal - if any - excise duty for the miniatures) but thanks for trying & responding :)
  • lordra
    lordra Posts: 333 Forumite
    I intend to move to india at the end of Jan and I was wondering how I could go about choosing someone reliable to send stuff back?
    Some kitchen stuff(knives, glassware, cutlery) and clothes. FOr the most part. ANy suggestions?
    Living off £450 per month is easy...! If you aren't single! :j
  • I hope someone can help me I need to post a games console, and would like to know who is the cheapest and cover the parcel for insurance, this cost me £200.00? Thanks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback