Getting out before the 12th

I'm new to Ireland and I've just became aware of of the secterian hate rampage on July 12th. I plan to go down to Mayo from the 11th to 16th, is this long enough and will I be safe to return then? The though of my house being destroyed or getting caught up in the violence of the day where I could end up dead terrifies me.

What is the norm leaving duration in Ireland for this time?

Comments

• duggan1
    duggan1 Posts: 505 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I'm new to Ireland and I've just became aware of of the secterian hate rampage on July 12th. I plan to go down to Mayo from the 11th to 16th, is this long enough and will I be safe to return then? The though of my house being destroyed or getting caught up in the violence of the day where I could end up dead terrifies me.

Nowhere near long enough. Mayo isn't far enough away anyway. All week roaming gangs of rabid loyalists foaming orange at the mouth have letters of marque from the DUP allowing them to chase down people who dare to leave to avoid the bonfires/parades. You'll likely be hunted down by these 'privateers' and dragged back, probably to speak at one of the fields.
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    duggan1 wrote: »
    Nowhere near long enough. Mayo isn't far enough away anyway. All week roaming gangs of rabid loyalists foaming orange at the mouth have letters of marque from the DUP allowing them to chase down people who dare to leave to avoid the bonfires/parades. You'll likely be hunted down by these 'privateers' and dragged back, probably to speak at one of the fields.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::T

I heard Outer Mongolian was nice at this time of year.
  • lost1
    lost1 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Let the purge Begin!
  • RikM
    RikM Posts: 811 Forumite
    That's me !!!!!!ed then. This is probably the first year we haven't been away on the 12th for several years (free holiday, just outside of peak rates for the UK... :)).

The worst I've personally seen was not from the 12th, but from someone taking down flags in a nearby town... being nonchalant about navigating past burnt out wrecks on the roads, in front of my parents the next day, was probably the difficult bit.

It's the not being able to do much which bugs me. A day off work but can't go anywhere without trying to work out which roads are going to be obstructed by marching.
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    edited 10 July 2017 at 1:12PM

Who's seen "28 Days"?

It'll be all right when the Americans arrive. Once you can smell the napalm in the morning, it'll be safe to come home. Whether you've a home when you get there is another matter.
    Actually, wait until you can hear "Ride of the Valkyries" booming from a helicopter.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

As long as you avoid hard line republican areas then you should be fine. ;)

The parades generally pass off peacefully - its people who sometimes have driven many miles to be offended by a parade who spark the violence.
  • motorguy
    What about the Easter Rising marches? Are they hate marches too?

How about those marches on 5th May commemorating the hunger strikes?

Internment marches on 9th August?

Will we ban all those too?

What about Gay Pride marches? Cant be too careful here - there might be some Gay Prods in there too - cant have them marching down traditional routes you know.
  • madaminx
    madaminx Posts: 217 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Lol too funny.

I'm not a major band supporter, saw them with my granny when I was a child.

These aren't hate marches they are a celebration of the Battle of the Boyne,.only problem is that there is an element of folk who like to use it as an excuse to cause trouble, get drunk and generally make a serious nuisance of themselves. And of course don't know their history, part of the reason for this also is that our history wasn't taught in our schools, at least not in mine. And even if it was it would probably be biased.

All in all for those who want it be, it can be a great day out for everyone from all sections of the community and tourists.
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    edited 10 July 2017 at 1:44PM
    I once went to the Munich Oktoberfest. It wasn't a whole lot different - apart from more beer and worse bands.

Anyone been to Pamplona to get chased down the street by furious bulls with a mob of drunken basques? Always wanted to go. Mrs. yuiop always objected.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • motorguy
    madaminx wrote: »
    Lol too funny.

I'm not a major band supporter, saw them with my granny when I was a child.

These aren't hate marches they are a celebration of the Battle of the Boyne,.only problem is that there is an element of folk who like to use it as an excuse to cause trouble, get drunk and generally make a serious nuisance of themselves. And of course don't know their history, part of the reason for this also is that our history wasn't taught in our schools, at least not in mine. And even if it was it would probably be biased.

All in all for those who want it be, it can be a great day out for everyone from all sections of the community and tourists.

Wholly agree. The vast majority of people who either go and participate or go and watch have a great day out.

There are of course a very very small minority on both sides of the community who want to cause trouble and of course, Northern Ireland being as it is, its these small minority who get reported on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure